• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which one of us is right on this law? (Straw purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearhead

All I know is that, on the form when you buy a gun, it ask are you the buyer or no?

According to the law of contract, I am the buyer even if I only own it for 5 minutes, until I transfer ownership to another person. If the seller offers it for sale and I accept his offer, and consideration is made, then I am the owner. Nothing in the BATF regs I have read mandates how long you must be the buyer before you can turn around and sell it again.

Technically, Question number one is a SNAFU.

Logically a "straw purchase" would only be a situation where someone gave you some money and said "go buy this gun for me", since then the consideration for the contract would be paid by him and not you.

I AM NOT ANAL.

I mean IANAL :)

Last edited:

Spearhead

Let's try a speeding example:

"Driving over the speed limit is against the law."

Action = Driving over the speed limit. Conclusion = Is against the law.

Now let's add a misleading circumstance:

Driving 30 mph over the speed limit is against the law.

Circumstance: 30 mph over. Note the emphasis.

That sentence implies that I have to drive 30 mph over the speed limit to break the law. This is not true. Driving any amount over the speed limit is against the law.
TFred

Dude, as a logic circuit designer I'm going to have to argue with you. But just for fun.

Driving 30 mph over the speed limit is against the law.

That sentence implies that I have to drive 30 mph over the speed limit to break the law. This is not true. Driving any amount over the speed limit is against the law.

The statement "Driving 30 mph over the speed limit is against the law. " would mean that one could drive at any speed except 30 mph. If your statement is true then I could drive 31 mph on your street and it would be legal. Diagram your logic gates and see for yourself!

"If a statement is not true 100% of the time then it is false" ---Algebra 101

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.