• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who In Wisconsin Has Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permits - And From What State?

jpm84092

PM Me

Just recently got my FL. Looking at Utah if I am going to be able to do the traveling I am planning for this summer.

As much as I want to see WI have concealed carry, preferably via "Constitutional Carry with optional permit for reciprocity", that is unlikely to be in place by this summer. I am a former WI resident with friends and family in WI and am also an NRA Instructor and Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. To "give back" to my friends in Wisconsin Carry.org I am considering holding a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class in WI when I return to visit my friends and family. This will occur in mid-Spring or very early summer if possible. I do not intend to make a profit on this class, but would like to recover some part of my gas money and en-route hotel expenses. I will be staying in the Walworth County area and visiting family in Rock County (Janesville, WI).

Utah CFP training costs in WI range from $70 per person up to $120 per person. Here in Utah, where there are so many certified instructors, the going rate is $40 - $60 per person - $35 for groups of 10 or more. If can get enough students, I would like to stick to Utah prices and keep it toward the minimum - or below. (By way of example, if I got about 30 students, the cost would be $25 per person.)

I will be posting a formal notification when I know more about when I will be visiting WI, but I could use some volunteers to help me organize this event. I may need help getting a place to hold the class. The class takes a minimum of 4 hours and I typically do mine in 4.5 - 5 hours - longer if there are multiple newbies to firearms. To apply for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit, a person must be 21 years of age, have a (mostly) clean record, and must meet Federal guidelines to purchase and own a firearm. There is no shooting qualification involved in applying for a Utah permit, but I can be available to instruct students on the fundamentals of shooting if my friends in WI can find a location and a suitable range.

Jim