• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is going to the Richmond City Coucil meeting?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I'm still curious as to what was on Marty Jewell's mind. Did anyone pay attention to Reva Trammall? How did she act? I would think that she would have listened. I like Reva Trammall, I would be devistated if she were trying to shut us out.

Reva was on scene when the open-carrier prevented a massacre at the Golden Food Mart.
I get tunnel vision when I'm takingpictures and didn't especially keep up with Reva. She didn't jump up and say anything, but neither did anyone else aside from Jewell.
Jewell is a politician and he knows an opportunity is when it comes along.

Can't read much from this picture.

ccreva.jpg

simmonsjoe

imported post

It is also of interest to note, 4-5 of Bloomberg supporters spoke out, out of about 6-7 present that I could see.

Meanwhile there were at least 16 armed persons in that room from VCDL.
That doesn't include include the 2 Police officers, and that older black gentleman
with the combover of epic proportions. The one who kept getting up to talk on a few different subjects and called the council out for being rude:celebrate

He was CCing.

As a matter of fact, I think if you subtracted the minors, we may have been at least 33% of the crowd at its fullest.

Also nobody approached Bloomberg's supporters asking for information like
the security guard did to us.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I guess I'd be pretty sad too if I realized all my loved ones could be killed by a random act of violence and I was too unprepared to do anything about it due to my wanting to always have to be the "safe" man... and he's right about people save lives... just like people take lives... not guns. its just a very helpful tool to have when the bad guy is shooting at you.People with guns save lives.

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
I guess I'd be pretty sad too if I realized all my loved ones could be killed by a random act of violence and I was too unprepared to do anything about it due to my wanting to always have to be the "safe" man... and he's right about people save lives... just like people take lives... not guns. its just a very helpful tool to have when the bad guy is shooting at you.People with guns save lives.

+1 sir. thats what i was driving at:p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Now these two are easy to read. This was when they were laughing at one of the Richmond Speakers

cclaugh.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
It's true.

Just remember most of these people are victims that
find it very difficult to accept the possibility they could
have changed the outcome of their respective traumas.
They are in a type of denial, one we cannot fault most
of them for. They are used and fueled by people like
Bloomberg.

The amazing anger and non-data driven (nearly whimsical)
arguments, that his supporters showed last night remind
us of this.

We must remain calm, reasonable, factual, and tactful
when encountering this type of behavior.
Our image is important. You cannot help calm irrational
people by becoming irrational yourself.

Bloomberg is intelligent enough to realize that his tactics
do not effect illegal guns or crime rates. His goal has grown
from not only the subjugation of the rights of individuals, but states
and local entities as well. A man like this has no problem
abusing the people he is supposedly championing.

The mayors of Virginia should be pressured by their
constituents, not foreign powers.

I think education is one of the most important things we can do.

Councilman Jewell seemed genuinely surprised (and interested to
learn more about) to learn Bloomberg made such extralegal advances
into our state that were so far out of line as to be previously
incomprehensible. So much so that Virginia had to enact law to
protect its legislative AND judicial sovereignty.
You're a good person Joe!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm not as kind hearted.
I only have three drawers to put people in.

The Neutral Drawer
The Friendly Drawer
And
The Enemy Drawer.

While I have a great deal of compassion for someone that has a loved one harmed, it goes away as soon as they attack me. The rule book goes out of the window then.

The world would be a better place if everyone felt as you....but since they don't, we all have to decide for ourselves, how to deal with them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Marty Jewell pays attention and often speaks to prod when it looks like everyone has drifted off to the next subject or what to order after the meeting. Unfortunately, he does not have much influence when he does that, and also seems to be unwilling to stand alone against Council.

Reva Trammall is very protective of the Jeff Davis corridor and that can be a point of entry for any conversation or cause you want to bring to her attention. If you focus on her district as the starting point re: city-wide issues you can get and keep her attention most of the time. Her other "buttons" are her committee assignments - especially Public Safety [HINT] http://www.richmondgov.com/citizen/docs/Standing_Comm_Schedule_Members_DescriptionLtrHdRev.pdf

As much as folks get riled up about Council members not focusing on the speakers, I am not bothered by that. They do hear some of what is said, and often they scan the audience to guage support/opposition from the crowd. They also have their "pets" that show up at just about every Council meeting and hearing, as well as the "terriers" who do the same but with a different purpose.

The point of showing up at Council meetings is not to be there once, say your piece and expect instant results, but to be there regularly and hammer home the point. While Phil speaks for VCDL it is not necessary for VCDL's voice to be the only one speaking. One or two residents who keep showing up and repeat the same message over and over could have more impactthan a one-time crowd of hundreds. I'll be glad to show up as support, but not being a resident anything I say has lesser impact than the same thing from a resident of the city.

stay safe.

skidmark