• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WHOLE FOODS BANS GUNS NATIONALLY

Alexcabbie

imported post

Jonesy wrote:
Huh. I have one of those decals, got it from VCDL about eight gunshows ago. I'm gonna OC in Whole Foods and if I get hassled, the sticker gets slapped on their front door at 3 AM. Then again, what do you expect from a pack of leftover whole-grain Hippies? (who suddenly discovered the utility of capitalism in ensuring regular meals)?
I have oc'd in the Whole Foods on Duke Street, bu that was some time ago. Rarely go there anyway, the store has so much yuppie food I would not buy, Harris Teeter is so much better. At HT, I often go late, 11 or 12 pm when they are stocking shelves, and many of the employees approve and talk guns with me.
I live about five blocks from the duke St. store, but have yet to visit it OC or no. I am going to have to, though; as I have an affinity for Lapsang Souchong tea which is almost as hard to find as .380 hollowpoints.

But, I can tell you that the Walgreen's just below Washington Street has never hassled me for OCing; nor has the "King Street Trolley"; and "Eammons Dublin Chipper was very glad to serve me an order of some very good cod with "chips" and garlic-chili sauce with a Guinness when I walked in with my P.38 on my hio. Also the upscale overpriced convenience store next to the Old Town Theater doesent blink when I oc there; I guess it is because at the highway-robbery prices they charge they figure that even if I am a BGwe are birds of a feather.

I have OC'd at the (now defunct) Le Gauloise; at the Bistro Lafayette; and at the Popeyes and Subway on King Street and not gotten a blink.

There are distinctions. I mean, there is anti-gun and there is anti-gun. The Italian restaurant I live above does not like OC but this is mainly because the female staff hail from places where - such as Pakistan and Mexico - an armed man is either a BG or a crooked official (redundant?) but they are coming around. These are pople with a misguided fear.

Then there is Chadwick's, where they re totally convinced that frearms are unlawful, bad for business, and are nervous about allowing anyone tocarry.

rebel-patriot

imported post

Well the way I see it is if they dont want you to carry in their store, then don't. Just don't go in there at all, and let other people know that as well.

Why not get sticky's started in each state section showing places that have no firearms policy and let people know right up front. Basically take your business to places that are more gun friendly and let the law of economics decide after that.

Here is a list of all Whole foods markets nationally.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/all/index.php

Make it a first of places not to go. And you can toss in Regal Theaters to that list as well.

Gulf Coast Gunman

The Nomadd

imported post

Pace wrote:
Walmart has a no-gun policy.
Target does not allow guns, some places have armed guards that will forcefully take you out.
Not true, at least with Walmart, anyways. Walmart's corporate policy, which has been discussed in various other threads, is to comply with what ever the local and or state laws are, in regards to citizen's with firearms. And I have confirmed this with Walmart's corporate office on the phone. And as far as I know, Target doesn't have a no gun policy, since there are numerous threads talking about open carrying in Target. There's a current one in the California folder, as a matter of fact, where the carrier had a productive chat with a fellow shopper, and wasn't hassled by any employees. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/34905.html
Now having said that, there are store managers, employees, and security, who are ignorant of the laws & their own corporate policies, who will hassle you if you open carry in their store. But, at least with Walmart anyway, all it took was a call to the corporate office, to get the offending employee(s) straightened out. I've never heard of anyone being forcefully removed my Target's security, so if that's posted on here anywhere, I may need to go search for that.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I have OCed many times in Target in North Spokane without any problems at all.

I would hope that Target security would have the common sense to ask you to leave rather than forcefully taking someone out. Ask me to leave and I will leave, assault me and suffer the consiquences of your actions both in court and about 1/2 second later on the spot.

Nemo Me Inpune Lacesset

Orphan

wayneco

imported post

I haven't open carried at Whole Foods in Reno but I have concealed carry there each and every time I have visited that store since it opened nearly a year and a half ago.

Western and northern Nevada seems disinterested or indifferent to open carry (i.e. everywhere but Las Vegas, which from what I read appears to be hit or miss in their tolerance of this right.)

I have carried just about everywhere in the Reno and I-80 corridor area entirely without incident.

I wonder: Is Whole Foods in Reno, Nevada more "whole foods" than "western nevada" – I may have to open carry next time I'm in and see what happens. In NV, all they can do is ask you to leave and if they're going to do that to me I hope my cart is flowing over – as it usually is – so they can see the business they're alienating with their reported bigotry.

I find the notion of people telling me my gun isn't allowed akin to telling a black person they have to leave because of their skin color or a gay person being told to leave because they're gay. The presentation of a unified front in the face of anti-gun-rights bigotry as a civil rights issue akin to the aforementioned will properly contextualize our fight.

aslink

imported post

Finally a real reason for me not to shop at Whole Food Markup. My wife likes their produce but now I can put my two cents in due to it being a target rich environment for killers and psychopaths.

Best of luck with that decision Whole Foods.

We-the-People

imported post

I simply won't spend money in a business that won't accept my Constitutionally guaranteed right to carry (state and fed Constitutions).

So far there is only one place I can't go, the local mall, but um.....you can buy a firearm there! I've considered a full page ad in the local newspaper with a big picture similar to the one earlier in this thread about the disarmed staff and customers so criminals come on in! Before I did that I would probably notify all of the tennant businesses and the mall management of my intention should they fail to correct their errant policy.......with appropriate legal advice to ensure that's not considered extortion or some other crime.

Maybe we should drop by CC (it's legal here unless trespassed) and do some "window shopping" and be sure to draw the attention of the sales staff so that I can tell them I'm just checking out the available products but will by buying that 52" LCD TV online instead of from them because the mall refuses to acknowledge my right to self defense. But thanks for having one that I can see before I order it online.

My wife isn't happy about not being able to shop in the mall for Xmas presents but she's on board with the whole gun rights mantra.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pace wrote:
Target does not allow guns, some places have armed guards that will forcefully take you out.
I disagree 100%. We carry in WalMarts all over Wisconsin. We have been repeatedly told that WalMart "has no such policy." We also carry in Target stores here in Wisconsin all the time as well.

We-the-People

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Pace wrote:
I disagree 100%. We carry in WalMarts all over Wisconsin. We have been repeatedly told that WalMart "has no such policy." We also carry in Target stores here in Wisconsin all the time as well.
Here in Oregon WalMart is, at the least, gun "friendly". I carry openly into them and only once did any employee ever question me and it was more of he didn't want me to get in trouble so I straightened him out.

redreed

imported post

They should be encouraging people to carry in their stores. Were it not for that, the two hostages would likely be dead.

This guy didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that aggravated assault on a police officer, kidnapping, or murder were all against the law. What makes them think that he would lose any sleep over their store's policy?

I'll bet that if the entire stores staff was trained in firearms use and appropriately armed, this would have had a much different ending. Thats what I would do if I owned this chain, and I would broadcast it all over the media!

Next time this type of incident occurs in their store, the manager should march right up to that gunman and explain the stores policy against handguns! That should do the trick!

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I had been thinking I would join the "buycott" for Whole Foods that sprang up in response to the boycott organized against them based on the Op-Ed on health care, but this has definitely changed my mind on that.

PeterNSteinmetz

Has Whole Foods changed their policy? I looked for signs at the mentioned at start of this thread and did not see any. Do they now have a " follow local laws" policy?