• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry in your house?

Hadley

imported post

DMaddox58 wrote:
The reason I carry at Home? Home invasions. They are on the uprise and it is not just in the larger cities anymore. Small towns like I live in have them happen too. When I get home, my Glock is right there with me. Also, I am former law enforcement and I have a few guys that were unhappy that I arrested them when they were caught breaking the law. I don't want to take the chance that they may make good on their threats they made several years ago.
Home invasions happen more frequently. I am a corrections officer and recently had a chat with one of three inmates arrested for a home invasion about 10 minutes from my home. The little wanna be was proud about what they did, Tying up a family, stealing money and car also kidnapping. He justified his actions by telling me he didnt hold the gun! This is why I carry all the time. i work a county jail and its a small world in the poconos. It is not unusual to run into former inmates.

JMJ2

imported post

I mostly Ccarry at home because of my wife. I also live where there was 10 home invasions in 2007. My house was burglarized in 06. It just makes sense where I live. In 06 there was a home invasion ina house located on a street behind my street. The county I live in is probaly the 2nd most high crime areas in Georgia. Everyone who has a CCW in this county probaly carries 95 to 98 %. I even carry my gun with me to the shower if I'm home alone. In my county a 7 year old boy was killed during a home invasion in 2007. Things can happen so fast if I didn't have my gun on me I'd probaly get shot in the back running for the gun.

Fallguy

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I could install a separate phone in each room, or just carry a cell phone/cordless...

same thing to me...

Are you goingto throw the phone at them or something?

If not at least the 9-1-1 operartor (if you even have time for that)will be able to hear the intruder shooting at you while you are thinking I'd wish I had my weapon on me instead of 2 rooms over.

echo6tango

imported post

I open carry in the home because that is the only place in my state that I am lawfully permitted to open carry (with the exception of the range of course). Might as well be safe somewhere...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
BobCav wrote:
I could install a separate phone in each room, or just carry a cell phone/cordless...

same thing to me...

If not at least the 9-1-1 operartor (if you even have time for that)will be able to hear the intruder shooting at you while you are thinking I'd wish I had my weapon on me instead of 2 rooms over.

HUH?? You so completely missed my point. I DO carry in my home for the same reason that I carry a cell phone and choose NOT to install a phone in each room: It's always on me when I need it and don't have to run to get it.

Call 911.....LMAO

Fallguy

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Fallguy wrote:
BobCav wrote:

same thing to me...

HUH?? You so completely missed my point. I DO carry in my home for the same reason that I carry a cell phone and choose NOT to install a phone in each room: It's always on me when I need it and don't have to run to get it.

Call 911.....LMAO

Oops....:uhoh:I see what you meant now. Sorry about that.

My two favorite quotes are..."When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." and "It take only 3 seconds to dial 9-1-1, it could take the rest of your life for them to answer."

Joe Sixpack

imported post

well home invasions are on the news a lot these days.. i still think the chances of having a home invasion is relatively low but you never know and theres always the possibility of breaking and such.. they usually knock first to see if someones home before they try to break in but not always.. i dont answer the door unless it's someone i know i usually just let them knock.

i've never OC'ed thought about it many times but 1. dont have a lv2+ holster, and 2. have'nt worked up the nerve, ya it's legal but im poor and can't afford to fend off trumped up charges no matter how ridiculous they might seem people get arrested on leo ignorance. 3. you can't OC in a car.. and lets face it a huge hassle to deal with for the OC'er on the go.

carrying around the house also lets you get comfortable with it in your most familiar environment, i dont even notice mine anymore half the time and im hauling around a taurus 92 which is a decently sized and hefty gun.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I've read most of the posts and didn't see my reason.

The large majority of violent assaults are perpetrated by "known" subjects. Whether that be family, friends, neighbors, or acquaintances. That, coupled with the majority of my time being spent at my house, means that the likelyhoodof something bad happening is at least as great (if not greater) while I am at home as it is with me being elsewhere.

Christmas Eve last year, a woman and her boyfriend gunned down 6 members of her own family in their home. Her parents, brother, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/344935_carnation27.html

I certainly don't "expect" any problems from anyone I know, but that doesn't mean there won't be any.Being prepared means having it at hand at all times. We had a neighbors stalker in our front yard one dark evening. She ran away when confronted, but thats not something you can count on. I am not about to call 911 and wait for the cops every time I hear a bump in the night or someone goes wandering through my yard. I work there, I know better.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

911Boss wrote:
I've read most of the posts and didn't see my reason.

The large majority of violent assaults are perpetrated by "known" subjects. Whether that be family, friends, neighbors, or acquaintances. That, coupled with the majority of my time being spent at my house, means that the likelyhoodof something bad happening is at least as great (if not greater) while I am at home as it is with me being elsewhere.

Christmas Eve last year, a woman and her boyfriend gunned down 6 members of her own family in their home. Her parents, brother, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/344935_carnation27.html

I certainly don't "expect" any problems from anyone I know, but that doesn't mean there won't be any.Being prepared means having it at hand at all times. We had a neighbors stalker in our front yard one dark evening. She ran away when confronted, but thats not something you can count on. I am not about to call 911 and wait for the cops every time I hear a bump in the night or someone goes wandering through my yard. I work there, I know better.
I'm sitting right now watching TV and I have 2 Pistols next too me. 1 Kimber .45 and 1 S&W .40:celebrate

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Actually several years ago, the percentage of murders between people who are known to one another fell below those who are unknown to each other. This means that there are more "random" murders being committed than those among family, friends, and acquaintances.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
Here's 2 recent ones.

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]mother and two children killed at home:[/font]
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080302/D8V51GLG0.html

Family of 6 Massacred at home:
http://www.wmctv.com/global/Category.asp?C=127727

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15476171/detail.html

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Authorities say a homeowner who apparently was targeted in a home invasion Sunday night exchanged gunfire with a suspect who was killed. Randy Christian, a Jefferson County sheriff's spokesman, said the shooting death of 23-year-old Eric Moore of Birmingham appeared to be justified. Moore died a short time later at a Birmingham hospital. Christian said the investigation determined Moore was the masked gunman who kicked in the door of a residence in Forestdale and fired shots at the occupant. The homeowner was not hit. Christian said the homeowner broke up a fight Saturday night at the Platinum Club in Birmingham that Moore had been involved in. He said Moore had inquired about the homeowner's address before the home was invaded.