• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do gun owners do this to new shooters.

cjohnson44546

While I'm not normally one for butting in... I probably would have mentioned something in this case.

Of course you don't "butt in" by saying "Don't listen to them, they are wrong!!"

Just start asking a lot of questions, like you overheard the conversation and are interested... ask questions she should be asking, but might not know enough to. Its easy for someone who knows little about a topic to NOT want to ask questions that might sound stupid, or simply not know what to ask... when someone is trying to sell them something.

The trick is... don;t come across like your butting in to try to help someone, just act like your interested in the information for yourself. "Why would a 380 be better for her? Whats the differences? I always thought bigger bullets were better" I only correct people when they flat out say something completely wrong that can't be corrected another way... because they are either ignorant, or lying... and either way it can lead to problems.

Last edited:

mobiushky

I would have and often do speak up when I'm at stores. I've had wonderful conversations with people who are completely clueless and sometimes (not always) getting really bad advice from the store workers. I was talking to a young couple the other day. The girl wanted to get a carry gun, but knew nothing at all. Her boyfriend was equally clueless and was saying maybe she should get a .22. I started talking about something else and we ended up talking for about 20 minutes. Funny thing is, I saw them a couple days later at the range with her newly purchased 9mm. She enjoyed it. The thing that bugs me to death is that people assume a gun store clerk knows everything there is to know about everything gun related. But in my experience, a lot of them are clueless on many things except their own personal favorite subject.

Case in point, I went into a store the other day to pick something up. As I was waiting to pay, the guy next to me asked what it would take to convert his Ruger Charger to an SBR. He said: "I never use it and I want to turn it into a fun toy I can plink with." The guy behind the counter told him he couldn't. Flat out. Went on to say it's not possible to do and even if it were, it would be illegal. And btw, why would you do that anyway. The guy tried to explain he wanted to SBR it, but the store clerk wouldn't hear it. So I told the guy, all you have to do is fill out the forms and wait for the stamp. Since the Charger is a 10/22 without the buttstock, once you get your stamp you just replace the stock. He thanked me. Then the store clerk went on about why anyone would even do that? What's the point? You're going to ruin a perfectly good gun, etc, etc, etc.

I've had other gun store clerks tell me that OC wasn't legal in places I knew it was. I had one clerk pull out the "visible on 3 sides" line which is written nowhere in the laws in that state.

BUT, you ask them about some special hunting round and they know everything there is to know about it. Point is, some of these people know very little about a lot and a whole lot about very little. Buyer be ware. Would you go to a police/tactical store to talk about elk hunting ammo?

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
You do notice he edited his post to add after I brought it up. How convenient. I have a bridge in Wilmington for sale, you interested?

I didn't notice, and I'm not too concerned. I don't think this thread is anything to get all nit-picky about. There's entirely too much "You said, I said" on this forum as it is.

And what would I do with a bridge? I'm too busy digging chasms . . . .

;)

OC for ME

<snip> Also to add to the end of my rant she went with a Glock 40S&W later that day for her carry pistol. She was shooting it a hell of a lot better then I was.
Posted at 01-18-2014, 01:50 AM [Post#1].....Last edited by zack991; 01-18-2014 at 01:58 AM.

We were certainly willing to pay for the range time and bullets to help her get a good idea of what she was wanting, so yes I would say we would have helped her in some way if she needed it. Later that day she had said she was the one paying for the gun if she found what she was looking for, that she had asked her boyfriend to come along only to help her shop for one, not contribute $ to buy one.
Posted at 01-18-2014, 08:53 AM [Post #17].....Last edited by zack991; 01-18-2014 at 08:57 AM. After WW raises the issue regarding the OP's wife buy the gun.

The issue was addressed in the op, by the OP, eight minutes after the OP posted his op.

WW, jokingly I think, broaches the subject of OP's wife buying the gun in Post # 13. Post #16 he does not seem to be joking any longer.

zack991

The only editing I do is fixing my piss poor grammar, happens on almost all of my posts. Anyone who knows my posts know I don't always write perfect posts and I try my best to fix my grammar mistakes. If there is a question raised that was not covered in my earlier posts, I directly address them. I do not edit my past posts to "cover tracks", those are the acts of a child.

Last edited:

scott58dh

The only editing I do is fixing my piss poor grammar, happens on almost all of my posts. Anyone who knows my posts know I don't always write perfect posts and I try my best to fix my grammar mistakes. If there is a question raised that was not covered in my earlier posts, I directly address them. I do not edit my past posts to "cover tracks", those are the acts of a child.

Yeah, I heat its wehn taht hpeapns !!! :lol:

Dyslexic OCD ADHD'd *Carrier*, a good combination if I do say so myself ! :cool:

Also, people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones,,, AND Never take a SHower !!! :shocker:

Last edited:

wimwag

I can sympathize; got some horror stories of my own regarding gun shops and some very sexist, know it all attitudes. :banghead:

Good for you guys sticking up for her ability to make the choice. I've told numerous women and their men folk "if SHE doesn't like it, she won't shoot it."
It's not just guns. They think they're experts on bows too.

We have a local gun shop that has these three old farts who not only stare at every woman who walks in, but make loud sexual comments about them to each other in addition to encouraging them to only pack the biggest .45 in the place. I don't know why the owner puts up with them. They are extremely liberal and think that guns and women need to stay in the home and will swear and yell at anyone who says anything critical about Obama.

I brought my girlfriend in one time because she wanted to shop around for some longbows and almost ended up feeding one his teeth after he grabbed a bow from her hands and handed her a youth practice bow... "You won't be able to draw that." F him! When we were 16 I watched her outshoot 300 some military and marksmen at a competition with an AR-15 she never touched before the event. Placed 37th. She can do whatever she wants.

WalkingWolf

It's not just guns. They think they're experts on bows too.

We have a local gun shop that has these three old farts who not only stare at every woman who walks in, but make loud sexual comments about them to each other in addition to encouraging them to only pack the biggest .45 in the place. I don't know why the owner puts up with them. They are extremely liberal and think that guns and women need to stay in the home and will swear and yell at anyone who says anything critical about Obama.

I brought my girlfriend in one time because she wanted to shop around for some longbows and almost ended up feeding one his teeth after he grabbed a bow from her hands and handed her a youth practice bow... "You won't be able to draw that." F him! When we were 16 I watched her outshoot 300 some military and marksmen at a competition with an AR-15 she never touched before the event. Placed 37th. She can do whatever she wants.

Good for her, nobody needed to come to her rescue. This is exactly what I have been trying to get across. Women are just as capable as men, and in that they can take care of themselves. We need to put a stop to this myth that they are weak, or not intelligent in mechanics, and need saving.

Women have the same access to the internet, they can do the same research as a man, they shoot a gun as well or better than men. Women that let others come to their rescue instead of handling it themselves perpetuate the myth.

PistolPackingMomma

It is not about needing to be rescued; it's about being too disgusted with the sexist disrespect to waste time or money at such a place.

I've got better things to do with my time than convince some chauvinistic ******* that I don't suffer Damsel in Distress disorder.

WalkingWolf

It is not about needing to be rescued; it's about being too disgusted with the sexist disrespect to waste time or money at such a place.

I've got better things to do with my time than convince some chauvinistic ******* that I don't suffer Damsel in Distress disorder.

Leaving is the thing to do. Take business elsewhere. We only have a third party version of the incident also. People with white knight syndrome tend to exaggerate. Personally if it had been my business I would have trespassed them for interfering with a sale. It does not matter if they felt justified they were on private property. I had a Monroe county deputy make a arse out of himself in my marina. He was showing off for his GF, flashing his badge, and attempted to pull his gun. I took his gun away, called 911 and arrested him. Unfortunately he only lost his stripes for his behavior.

Keep in mind the female side is just as responsible for chauvinistic behavior as males. She had a grin and smirk on her face until she saw they were going to jail.

PPM this is not meant for you, but in general. Want respect, act in a fashion that garners respect!

Last edited:

wimwag

Good for her, nobody needed to come to her rescue. This is exactly what I have been trying to get across. Women are just as capable as men, and in that they can take care of themselves. We need to put a stop to this myth that they are weak, or not intelligent in mechanics, and need saving.

Women have the same access to the internet, they can do the same research as a man, they shoot a gun as well or better than men. Women that let others come to their rescue instead of handling it themselves perpetuate the myth.

I've found that most women who do shoot do so better than men and that the women new to shooting are much more accurate after a short time than men new to shooting. Case in point, my girlfriend's little sister who is 19 shot a handgun for the first time with me last fall. With my P22 shooting at a bottle of dish soap 30 feet away she scored 3 hits from a 10 round magazine and after the reload scored 7. I don't know why women are better shots than men, but from what I've seen they are.

IMO, way too much machismo and bravado surrounds shooting sports and people like Jessie Duff need more coverage because they are the proof in the pudding.