• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do we pay to have a "license"??

S&W_Guy

Keep pressuring our politicians or run for office and do something about it...that's where we are right now. We need to ask ourselves if we are to the point that we need to make it a criminal offense to not exercise your right to vote (we dont' want to wind up here either); examining the low voter turn outs of a miserable 17% on local issues is sickening. It is up to us as a Nation to prevent things from turning so grave that we wind up in another war on our own soil.

Well said, REAL. Taking action within the legal confines of our society is much better than turning on the nation we love so much. Nobody wants to live in a society without rule of law. The chaos would consume most everything that we all hold dear.

rankhornjp

mspgunner

Some of us work on changing the system/rules/laws/statutes.... here is Missouri to return the rights we have lost. So many just post on this and other forums which actually does little or nothing to result in the change we seek. There is the Rally in the Capitol April 18th 2013, it is FREE! Last year perhaps 50 attended... that shows how much "WE" are willing to advocate for our rights. There are pro2A organizations, few join, few attend their meetings or volunteer any time for the cause..... Apathy and finger pointing abound. No one has to devote a lot of time, some just need to volunteer some time......
Join a State 2A group.
Go to the Rally, it has gone on for over 20 years in Jefferson City.
Call, write, visit your legislators.
Volunteer for a campaign for a pro-2A candidate. (They live close to you)

The forum, this one is great for communuication but it yeilds no results for 2A/OC rights in itself.
Get out THERE, make a difference..... I'm off to OK in 5 minutes to help celebrate their OC victory! I have to support those who support our rights!

OC for ME

We must pay for the privilege of CC because state constitution does not permit us to CC without the blessings of the state. I am conflicted on this particular issue. If you hold the US constitution sacred then you too must hold our state constitution sacred. It is far easier to change our state constitution than it is to change our federal constitution. I would not like the federal constitution to change the state constitution by fiat.

We have a right to bear arms in Missouri and the citizens of the state at the time of ratification did not extend that right to CC without justification (state sanction in other words). We must work to restore OC as the law of the land as the framers of our state constitution intended. We have CC as the law of the land.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
A Legal defense

It should be noted that one very prominent atty in Missouri uses interesting language regarding the license system for CCW.

He consistently refers to the license as "a defense" which from a legal point of view is indeed accurate.

Carry of a concealed weapon is unlawful in MO. Note that if you have an ENDORSEMENT you have permission to violate that law and would simply have to prove you indeed had obtained, maintained and that the endorsement was still valid if you were to indeed be charged with illegal carry of a firearm.

As has been discussed within this thread, some may feel that there are alternate "defenses" for the same activity. If you find those defense positions plausible, I would HIGHLY suggest you engage in a thorough discussion with your own atty.

Because of the passions on these boards we often get into discussions of legal matters and typically default to "what makes sense" and while you would find me very much in agreement that our country was designed to be regulated through common sense interpretations, once it becomes involved in the opinion system aka the courts, that rule no longer applies. It applies so little that that same atty uses the phrase "it doesn't have to make sense, it is the law" almost every time he speaks of gun rights issues.

I believe much of what has been discussed does "make sense" in so much that the defense is PLAUSIBLE, however, when it comes down to the issue as a whole, it fails the common sense test. If you have the endorsement, it is far less likely you will see charges, but it COULD happen (some numskull failed to enter data into MULES system and officer see's no valid permit) in such a case it would likely be dismissed in short order once good faith information was provided to the court system. If you opted for the other defense, while potentially setting ground breaking precedence and new law, you will likely be heading to several court appearances and will be shelling out huge piles of money, or as the atty mentioned above says, barrels full of fifties.

As mentioned throughout, the wise choice at this point in time for most of us is to clearly follow the law and take the least expensive path in our defensive position, but each and every person is free to deviate as they choose. I would clearly suggest NOT taking legal advice from this forum and consulting an atty of your choosing to develop your own cost/benefit analysis as any misjudgement may result in a loss of your freedom.

Redbaron007

In my state, you need a permit just to transport a handgun (ie to a range to practice) ... so I think that this would apply in CT...CT is goofy...

The right to practice IS a core right ...

Sorry to hear about you having a permit just to go to the range...that bites!