• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you carry a gun sir?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I care less about being any sort of ambassador, advocate, educator or poster child regardingan extemporaneous impromptu explaination of the Right... (recognized since Cicero argued the case before the Roman Forum 2,087 years ago) to the means ofself defense to another American on the 'street'. Simple response to the question (if asked) ifI even bother to respond... "Because I want to!"

Let them research own legalities it they want. The pre-existing 'Right' is specifically enumerated in the US Constitution and most State Constitutions. I'm not into explaining their own rights to them. If they haven't figured that out by now... they must've escaped from the short bus anyway.

I don't carry cards...I don't need to feel self-concious and continually explain THAT RIGHT and apologize or kow tow to these brain-washed/brain-dead idiots or assuage their hoplophic hysterics by any sort of verbal engagement. I'm not going to cause them to have an epiphany. If they can't figure it out, that's not my problem. These are people who have neverbeen in fear for their lives. They are the condition white 'sheeple' that predators exist upon. Feed stock.

As for the biblical verse... It was not a statement of faith... it was a statement of fact.Essentially: 'If you do not own (or cannot afford) a sword... sell your cloak and get one!" A simple warning. The means of self defense was considered more important than clothes. Dangerous times... then 'n there, hereand now. The only real change is the technology, not the human condition.

Woodchuck

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

SNIP

As for the biblical verse... It was not a statement of faith... it was a statement of fact. Essentially: 'If you do not own (or cannot afford) a sword... sell your cloak and get one!"  A simple warning.  The means of self defense was considered more important than clothes. Dangerous times... then 'n there, here and now.  The only real change is the technology, not the human condition.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

davesnothere wrote:
I'm definitely on the side of having a conversation with the uninformed, the middle of the roaders, and even the anti's.

I don't think a card can give the same reassurance that actually talking with someone can give.

Also, whenever I'm approached in public I try to be the paragon of approachability and courteousness. I WANT people to feel that they can talk to armed non-law officers and have a reasonable conversation.

I think being aloof, hostile, or impolite while carrying will amplify the negative attitudes expressed toward us. If we want OC, and gun-carrying in general to be widely accepted, then we need to ensure that we are good ambassadors of our position on rights.

Myapproach and attitude is much the same as yours with this for several reasons.

First, I am generally a friendly person having been taught early in my life that you treat others with respect and dignity until they give you reason not to do this. I find this tends to disarm most people and puts them at ease.

While when OC'ing I am fully aware that my actions will reflect on others who also chose to OC, it ultimately falls on my shoulders so I am careful to conduct myself accordingly.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I care less about being any sort of ambassador, advocate, educator or poster child regardingan extemporaneous impromptu explaination of the Right... (recognized since Cicero argued the case before the Roman Forum 2,087 years ago) to the means ofself defense to another American on the 'street'. Simple response to the question (if asked) ifI even bother to respond... "Because I want to!"

Let them research own legalities it they want. The pre-existing 'Right' is specifically enumerated in the US Constitution and most State Constitutions. I'm not into explaining their own rights to them. If they haven't figured that out by now... they must've escaped from the short bus anyway.

I don't carry cards...I don't need to feel self-concious and continually explain THAT RIGHT and apologize or kow tow to these brain-washed/brain-dead idiots or assuage their hoplophic hysterics by any sort of verbal engagement. I'm not going to cause them to have an epiphany. If they can't figure it out, that's not my problem. These are people who have neverbeen in fear for their lives. They are the condition white 'sheeple' that predators exist upon. Feed stock.

As for the biblical verse... It was not a statement of faith... it was a statement of fact.Essentially: 'If you do not own (or cannot afford) a sword... sell your cloak and get one!" A simple warning. The means of self defense was considered more important than clothes. Dangerous times... then 'n there, hereand now. The only real change is the technology, not the human condition.

First let my say your writing is impeccable.

While you are completely correct in your statements, those of rights and their exercise, may I suggest a bit more deference may be a consideration? Our fellow citizens who either chose not to carry defensive tools or worse, are completely against anyone else doing the same, are horribly misguided individuals and as you inferred, food for the predators. Some of these people are lost and will never see reality. But many are fence sitters and might be persuaded to see the light and start doing what our Founders expected them to do. Those are the ones we need to make the jump. Numbers are important and the higher we can make them, the better for everyone of us.