• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you open carry? - Mumbai

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JB-Indiana wrote:
Like it or not, carrying OC (or even CC, for that matter) isn't the "norm" in our society, nor is carrying OC guaranteed in the Constitution. In fact, it's not even mentioned (neither is CC. Just the RKBA).

Eh?

Wanna' think that one through, and try again?

Exactly how to I "keep and bear arms", if I can't carry them?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
JB-Indiana wrote:
Like it or not, carrying OC (or even CC, for that matter) isn't the "norm" in our society, nor is carrying OC guaranteed in the Constitution. In fact, it's not even mentioned (neither is CC. Just the RKBA).

Eh?

Wanna' think that one through, and try again?

Exactly how to I "keep and bear arms", if I can't carry them?
Yeah, a little strange don't you think?

When referring the founding documents, we must always do so in the context of meaning and speech of the time and not filtered through present day concepts and interpretations. To bear arms in the late 18th century meant to carry on or about the person, hand or shoulder arms. In other words, small arms that were capable of being carried by men at their discretion.

Since most handguns (pistols) at the time were rather large and ungainly, carrying them concealed presented problems. So the more common method was to carry them openly when one chose to go armed with such firearms.

Flintlock

imported post

JB-Indiana wrote:
Like it or not, carrying OC (or even CC, for that matter) isn't the "norm" in our society, nor is carrying OC guaranteed in the Constitution. In fact, it's not even mentioned (neither is CC. Just the RKBA). RESPONSIBLE gun ownership and carry REQUIRES a responsible mindset, like it or not.

It disturbs me that you have sworn an oath to abide by the constitution of your state and of the United States with a comment such as this. Of course,I fully disagree with your interpretation as I am sure many on this site do.

But thanks for your service in the field of corrections.

Lthrnck

imported post

JB-Indiana,

I agree with your comments on being careful what we put in print. It can come back to haunt you.

I totally disagree with your thoughts on OC/CC in the constitution, how can you bear arms if you can't carry them. CC is very common today, last estimates are 6 to 8 million people have CCW permits/licenses in this country.

The OC movement is expanding rapidly, so I don't know where you got you idea at, but I would rethink it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
JB-Indiana,

I agree with your comments on being careful what we put in print. It can come back to haunt you.

I totally disagree with your thoughts on OC/CC in the constitution, how can you bear arms if you can't carry them. CC is very common today, last estimates are 6 to 8 million people have CCW permits/licenses in this country.

The OC movement is expanding rapidly, so I don't know where you got you idea at, but I would rethink it.

Right. And perhaps a little prime in basic English is needed here.

The amendment contains the comma-separated clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms". This little phrase accomplishes several tasks. First it recognizes a preexisting right. If this were not the case, the Founders may have said, "the people shall have the right...". But we can clearly see that this is not what it says at all.

Also, it qualifies the first clause which speaks about a well-regulated militia. In order for a militia to exist, the right spoken about in the second clause is an absolute must.

Lastly, the phrase, "keep and bear arms" contains two verbs joined by a conjunction. This means they are mutually inclusive. In order to be able to bear arms, you must also be able to keep them and visa versa.

And finally there is the word regulated. At the time the Bill of Rights was written, this meant "to keep and make regular". It did not refer to "control" or to "drill". In other words, the idea the Founders had was that every man be armed and therefore available for service when the need arose.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:
JB-Indiana,

Right. And perhaps a little prime in basic English is needed here.

The amendment contains the comma-separated clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms". This little phrase accomplishes several tasks. First it recognizes a preexisting right. If this were not the case, the Founders may have said, "the people shall have the right...". But we can clearly see that this is not what it says at all.

Also, it qualifies the first clause which speaks about a well-regulated militia. In order for a militia to exist, the right spoken about in the second clause is an absolute must.

Lastly, the phrase, "keep and bear arms" contains two verbs joined by a conjunction. This means they are mutually inclusive. In order to be able to bear arms, you must also be able to keep them and visa versa.

And finally there is the word regulated. At the time the Bill of Rights was written, this meant "to keep and make regular". It did not refer to "control" or to "drill". In other words, the idea the Founders had was that every man be armed and therefore available for service when the need arose.
BINGO!

reconvic

imported post

True Choice and " Independance 'is the freedom to either CC or OC the way you want. That is what I want to have my own choice without anyone getting upset so I have got a CCP long ago and in Az. Have my choice in which way I wear it. It is called freedom.
Like July 4th.
S/F Vic

albritton77

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Why do I open Carry?

because concealed carry is not a legal option in my state.
I second this and we are both from Wisconsin.

One of our more famous Virginia members,Tess,says she Open Carries her handgun -

"Because she can't carry a cop" :what:

For me (and me alone) the more accurate statement would be:

"Because I'm not ALLOWED to carry a cop."

(I'm 6'2", 225lbs, and I have the strength to carry most cops in full gear, even though it would only be for a short period of time.)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

It is a great self defense tool. Open carry is easy, the visual can hinder attacks. It can make a smaller or weaker person equal to a larger more agressive person. It also is our right so it makes a great 2A statement.