• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does moderation come in waves on this forum?

Sa45auto

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So you're implying that the recent rash of moderations have been justified?

Life is what it is. I was a member of "packing.org" from the onset to the bitter end.

Moderation as it exists on this forum is not perfect,BUT I have seen other methods tried and not work nearly so well.

We are like kids. We push the envelope until finally the moderators have to step in and slap pur hands.

I have posted in most of the threads that have been closed lately, and so I say we and include myself.

We all need a voice of reason,from time to time.

I suggest we each try and learn and be better little boys, and quit gripping so much.

It was the gripping that killed packing.org.

LEO 229

imported post

Without some moderation.... this board could easily get out of control and become a free for all rendering any and all meaningful communications useless.

Case in point.... anytime someone posts an opinion that does not sit well with another member who decides they will forcechange by way of personal attacks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Without some moderation.... this board could easily get out of control and become a free for all rendering any and all meaningful communications useless.

Case in point.... anytime someone posts an opinion that does not sit well with another member who decides they will forcechange by way of personal attacks.
+1

(God, that hurt.) :)

ChinChin

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I don't recall seeing anybody asking for NO moderation, just some consistency in the moderation presently being exercised.
Just as posts denigrating law enforcement officials are detrimental to the overall intent of the board (according to John), Smothering the board with inconsistent rules which may or may not be exercised at some point is a detriment to posters who (most) with good intentions are falling into murky posting waters.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would like to throw out something about changing thread titles: There are rare occasions where the thread title is absolutely inappropriate for the thread topic, and previously when a mod/admin I would edit those titles, or the OP would ask that it be changed due to an error. In those cases I have no issue.

As a regular reader/follower of the forum though, I do find it frustrating when thread title are changed because it can make it difficult to find a thread again. The search feature on WowBB is not particularly good (actually it is particularly poor) making it even more frustrating when thread titles are changed. I would hazard a guess that regulars waste more time due to changed titles than newcomers do because of poorly written original titles. Just my .02 on the subject.

I would assume that John and Mike are by now aware of this and the related discussions on the forum. Someone in another related thread, I don't remember who though, made the good point that this forum is used as a source by certain media. Because of that I can well understand John and Mike's concerns about "mission creep". On the other hand, as I stated above in this thread, I also think that is a good reason for an OT/non-OC/non-firearm section where we discuss other issues so that those people looking at the forum for source material can clearly see that we are real, 3-dimensional people for whom firearms, 2nd Amendment, carry rights and related issues are only one part of our worlds. While there is great value in a tightly focused forum, there is also value in re-examining the direction of the forum, relishing that one has provided a public venue in which like minded people can share many interests which only strengthens our personal bonds making our joint efforts on the original focus of the forum all the more possible and fruitful.

Just because we have on OT forum also does not mean no more moderation on the rest of the forum, nor that anytime a thread becomes OT that it automatically gets moved to the OT section. OT needs to be in and stay in OT. The delineation should be obvious to everyone and if not, properly enforced with appropriate moderating. Also, I don't think most of us embracing this idea are envisioning an OT section where we can just say anything, flame anyone and have a free for all. I think we are mostly on the same page that we want an area in which we can just have regular conversations. If we all met up at a picnic, we are not going to spend the whole day talking about guns. "Hey Bob, so your so-and-so from OCDO, nice to meet you in person. blah blah guns. So are you married? Really? How many kids? Oh that's a great age. What do you guys do for fun? Really, me too. Have you ever been to ...." etc. Again, just because we have regular conversations about regular things going on in our regular lives that reach beyond firearms in an appropriate designated section doesn't denigrate the mission of this forum.

For the record, I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care. I'm not joining in the discussion because I dislike OCDO or want to make it into something different. I'm jumping in because I do enjoy it, I appreciate and support the mission, respect and appreciate what John and Mike are accomplishing here, and I want it to be more important to many of us by having the freedom to deepen our relationships and shared interests.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

+1

(God, that hurt.) :)

:lol: I cannot believe you sided with me... Maybe we can reconcile after all.

LEO 229

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
I don't recall seeing anybody asking for NO moderation, just some consistency in the moderation presently being exercised.
Just as posts denigrating law enforcement officials are detrimental to the overall intent of the board (according to John), Smothering the board with inconsistent rules which may or may not be exercised at some point is a detriment to posters who (most) with good intentions are falling into murky posting waters.
It was directed specifically in regard to:

"However, I think we should also have the freedom to share any thoughts and interests we may have with each other, without fear of moderation and censorship. After all, doesn't thatmeet the freedom and liberty requirements?"

Does this help explain what was said?

[line]

I have not seen that much moderating going on here so I do not really see it to be problematic. We are all adults and should know how to handle ourselves. I had actually seen somewhat of alack of moderation and a few members allowed to do a few things they probably should not.

What action happened that you felt was inconsistent?

bohdi

imported post

Being here is voluntary. Creating an account you by default acknowledge the five rules that everyone is equally subject to. It may not appear that way to some, especially those who feel they are heavily moderate, and those individuals may feel like they are being treated unfairly. So does my 2 year old and my 11 year old when they are caught doing something they aren't supposed to be and need a time out, lol. Heck, I feel that way when I am moderated on this board. I won't for a minute sit here and say it's not warranted when it happens. I've said it before, being a moderator isn't asexy job. You don't make alot of friends and you get flamed for unpopular decisions - that doesn't mean they aren't the right decisions based on the rules of the board.

The general and news & politics sections can get off topic or general theme, and I've been guilty of stretching things from time to time. My interpretation of these two sections is that they apply to guns in general, not specifically open carry. So when a death, murder, suicide, erroneous news report, good news report or anything "gun" related is out there, you can pretty much get away with talking about it in these areas. Sometimes things need to be shut down until they are more defined - see scuba thread, and how did that work out? It got re-opened.

Perhaps what is needed is a definative statement what the General section ought to allow - general gun related subjects/topics or a wonton free for all about anything under the sun?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

When I lobbied to get a General Discussion area, I had it in mind as an area to discuss stuff like hunting, or machine gun ownership, etc. As the discription says
"Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else." Somewhat off-topic does not mean completely off topic. So keep it somewhat gun or OC related, or as rule #1 says.
[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"] 1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics.

[/font]