• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why doesn't Gun Control or Right to Carry affect the crime rate significantly?

wrightme

imported post

You haven't addressed my "contradictions," other than to attempt to separate one minor wording disagreement from my valid points. Should you wish to discuss as adults, we can get somewhere. Repeating a post (several times) to which I have already responded does not add to "discussing as adults."

AWDstylez wrote:
wrightme wrote:
It really doesn't matter what you think or type. You are only amusing yourself.

<snip ad nauseum repeated fail> point all along.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

What specific right of specifically who does my driving infringe upon?

Plus, if in fact driving DOES in infringe upon the rights of other people, then how does licensing and taxing it STOP that infringement? Behavior that infringes upon other people's rights is not cause to tax that behavior, it's cause to disallow it.

Alexcabbie

imported post

ONE THING IS NOT ALLEGED AND I PRAY TO GOD IT NEVER HAS TO BE PROVEN BY ME:

A bad guy who chooses an armed victim will very likely be making the worst mistake of his life. And quite possibly his last.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wrightme wrote:
So far, you have shown an intractible desire to argue as a child.
Dundee looks at Wrightme and says, "Thats not a knife, this is a knife..."

Actually, that would be an intractable desire to argue as amentally challenged child.

Normal children eventually move on and connect to new situations in a mature way having grown a little. Stylez does not fit that model. He repeats his actions (even his text) over and over expecting a different result with each cycle. That is a clear indication of a mental disorder.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Styles is getting his desired result EVERY TIME. The boy lives to pi$$ people off. I have learned to just let him yammer his pseudo-intellectual horse squeeze and I guess admire himself in the mirror for being a legend in his own mind. I have no doubt that if "THE DAY" comes, he will be an informant and will have to be dealt with accordingly.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
ONE THING IS NOT ALLEGED AND I PRAY TO GOD IT NEVER HAS TO BE PROVEN BY ME:

A bad guy who chooses an armed victim will very likely be making the worst mistake of his life. And quite possibly his last.
IMO

+1
YES! And on topic too. Where have you been?

The answer to the OP is that prohibiting firearms does change the balance and begin a spiral of higher crime rates. Just look to the crime stats before the bans in Chicago, Washington, and New York, and compare them to after. But you have to look over a long time frame. Putting a ban in place one day will not cause mas murders the next. It takes time.

There will be little change after removing a ban because people are no longer acclimated to having firearms. It takes time for them to acclimate to firearms again, sometimes generations.

In the meantime to paraphrase alexcabbie "don't tread on me".

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:

Plus, if in fact driving DOES in infringe upon the rights of other people, then how does licensing and taxing it STOP that infringement? Behavior that infringes upon other people's rights is not cause to tax that behavior, it's cause to disallow it.

Guess no one wants to address your point. Just take it as a win.

wrightme

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Harm to others.
Bullets contain lead.[duh].:quirky

The anti's make some great, stretch of logic connections about "harm to others" to justify restrictions on firearms....
....which you perpetuate here in your failed attempt to make a point.

The lead only harms once ingested. My range activities where I propel lead downrange does not cause others to ingest the lead. If someone ingests lead from a firearm that I use, it is intentional. :quirky

When I drive my automobile, it pollutes directly into the atmosphere, and others breathe that pollution. I do not intend that as an act, but it is unavoidable. Just another of your apple/orange illogical connections.
AWDstylez wrote:
Slayer of Paper wrote:

Guess no one wants to address your point. Just take it as a win.
Fail. You even responded to my response to him. :quirky

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:

Counter-fail. You addressed his first post, he asked for specifics the second time around and you failed to deliver.

I hope you NEVER shoot anywhere but the range.

What do you use toheat your house? I hope to hell it's electric and you get it from a nuclear plant... oh wait even that pollutes...

So we're back to...

Slayer of Paper

wrightme

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Counter-fail. You addressed his first post, he asked for specifics the second time around and you failed to deliver.

I respond to relevant arguments.

I hope you NEVER shoot anywhere but the range.
I hope I never have to shoot anywhere but at a range also_Of course, I have no doubt that you meant it as an insult. :quirky But, being that I live in Nevada, there is abundant area to shoot that is not a range, and is not prohibited from open or concealed carry, nor from discharge of firearms.

What do you use toheat your house? I hope to hell it's electric and you get it from a nuclear plant... oh wait even that pollutes...
So do you now equate nuclear energy to a Right? How about wood fire smoke? Such is outlawed for heating in many municipalities. You are getting even further afield in your failed attempts to discredit others. Ad hominem gets you nothing but further away from credibility (if that were even possible in your case), and further from any hope of having a point.

So we're back to...

Slayer of Paper
Los Angeles for one has begin to disallow it. As I previously mentioned carpool lanes and bus lanes "infringe" upon your alleged right to drive.

Like I have mentioned before, there MIGHT be a right to drive, butyou have not made a case for it. you have only attempted to declare it to be so, and insulted those who would disagree with you. The big table awaits should you choose to exhibit the behavior of those at it.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:

No, you just don't respond to anything that you can't counter with diversionary attacks or anything that you can't completely misrepresent to argue against a strawman. His post and my post that I've posted about five times now are perfect examples.

wrightme

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
wrightme wrote:

No, you just don't respond to anything that you can't counter with diversionary attacks or anything that you can't completely misrepresent to argue against a strawman. His post and my post that I've posted about five times now are perfect examples.

Now that has got to be the most blatant "pot calling the kettle black" here yet. You have been doing exactly that from page 4 on. :quirky

Bye. Gotta belly up to the table and discuss important issues. Have fun with the other kids. ;)

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Bye. Gotta belly up to the table and discuss important issues. Have fun with the other kids. ;)

SeriousBusiness_001.jpg

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Not Preventing is not the same as supporting.
You're right, but this isn't what the Heller decision does.

It unnecessarily addresses the issue of scope, and concludes that the second amendment "cannot protect" ownership of "sophisticated" weapons. It looks at the issue, and supports it. It does not "not prevent" or not address the issue.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
My rights consist of EVERYTHING I choose to do which does not infringe upon the rights of anyone else.

I do not see how driving (or owning and carrying a firearm) infringes upon someone else's rights. Therefore, it is a right. If you cannot convince me that it isn't a right on the basis of the definition above, then you are wasting your breath (or your bandwidth, as they case may be).
+100

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Government documents and court rulings have no bearing on whether or not something is a right. Rights are natural: they belong to me because I am a human being. For the religious: they belong to you because God gave them to you. Whichever, they mean the same thing: they are not depended on anything said or done by any human. They cannot be taken away or even given away. You can choose not to exercise them, then later choose to begin exercising them.

Rights can be infringed upon, and often are. This infringement can even be justified by "legal" documentation, such as a law, but that doesn't make it any less of a right.

Governments exist for one purpose: to protect the rights of the people it serves. If it fails to do that, then those people have the right and obligation to abolish that government, and institute a new one. (That's paraphrased from a document you might have read)
+100

wrightme

imported post

marshaul wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Not Preventing is not the same as supporting.
You're right, but this isn't what the Heller decision does.

It unnecessarily addresses the issue of scope, and concludes that the second amendment "cannot protect" ownership of "sophisticated" weapons. It looks at the issue, and supports it. It does not "not prevent" or not address the issue.
But AWD thinks the Heller speaks to "method restriction" of assault weapons.

AWDstylez wrote:
The restrictionon owning assault weapons is a METHOD restriction on the second amendmant. You said there is no such thing. You are wrong. Plain and simply, cut and dry, end of story.
AWDstylez wrote:
This is method restriction. Military style weapons (assualt weapons) are a METHOD of keeping and bearing arms.Heller allows for restrictions:

“The term was applied, then as now, to weapons that were not specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity.”

Method restriction, plain and simple.

The Heller decision supports restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, no one can deny that. Please explain to me how your claims that the right to keep and bear arms cannot be restricted hold any water in the light of the Heller decision.
According to AWD, Heller says assault weapons are allowed to be restricted.

marshaul wrote:
Clearly the Heller decision "cannot protect" the right to own an M-16 rifle. This is a means restriction.
We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradi­ tion of prohibiting the carrying of “dangerous and unusual weapons.”...
But to say there is a "means restriction" supported by Heller, we need to get the meaning of "dangerous and unusual weapons."

It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.
I parsed this bit already, but if a critical reading is done, with your world view set aside for a minute, the first sentence claims that:
"if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause."
We see that the first sentence discusses detachment of the prefatory clause from the operative clause.

Following that statement, a discussion of typical arms possessed at home are compared with the "sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large."

We are still left without an accurate definition of "sophisticated arms." I may have one definition, and you may have another that is entirely different.

Now if we keep going, we come to "no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks."
Reasonably, we can now determine a possible implied definition of "sophisticated arms" as those that could be "useful against modern-day bombers and tanks."

In the end, SCOTUS merely uses this paragraph to prove that the "limited [the] degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right."
That whole paragraph is not about "method limits" wrt the M-16, their variants, or any other firearms. It is most logically concluded to be about "sophisticated arms useful against modern-day bombers and tanks."

Truly, it does not "not prevent," or "support," or "declare," in any way "method restriction" of the M-16. It simply uses that "if" example to say that the prefatory clause may be detached from the operative clause.

In the quoted text you and AWD have presented, there simply is no logical case to support method restriction on assault weapons as indicated by AWD, or on M-16s and variants as suggested by you.

Now lets drop back a bit to AWD:
AWDstylez wrote:
The term was applied, then as now, to weapons that were not specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity.
This quote from Heller is the beginning of page 8 of the "opinion of the court," and is the middle part of the discussion of "arms" for definitions. Further down we find:

Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.
This is a direct contradiction to claims that DC v Heller allows any "method restriction."