• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I don't watch Court TV or Cop shows....

kurtmax_0

imported post

They never give notice to work jobs here, and they give out master keys like water (I've had the master keys a few times even). I've yet to 'meet' someone at gunpoint, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. I could push written notice in advance for work orders and such, but management is so incompetent they would just make it worse somehow.

Beau

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Friend of mine who lives in an apt. complex, had a workman show up at 7am, unannounced, without notice from management, using a master key to enter his home. Workman was met by said friend, groggy from just being woke up after a late night at work and pointing a Kimber Ultra Carry II (compact 1911) at him.

Long story short -- workman calls police, police show up and ask my friend if there are loaded weapons in the house as they must secure them during the investigation. Said police did not know how to clear the Kimber or the AR-15. I found that surprising, but in that jurisdiction police do not carry or use AR-15s. Apparently much more common than one would think. (Friend did not get in any trouble and LEO verbally noticed manager of wisdom of providing appropriate notice of workmen).
I'm confused on why they needed to secure the weapon? No crime was commited. I don't see that the police even had a right to enter the home. It should have ended after "I entered a persons home unanounced and they pointed a weapon at me". Proper police response after that should have been "Wellll no shit".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

In Virginia, state law requires advance notice of all non-emergency repair work. Good common sense/practice suggests that the maintenance personnel ring the door bell or knock hard and wait. If they then open the door, they are instructed to holler out "Maintenance!" and wait a few seconds before calling out again. These instructions including entering for an emergency - it is a matter of courtesy and safety - further this is documented in most lease agreements.
Yata hey