• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why President Obama Will Lose in a Landslide

Tawnos

@ Sudden Valley: I hear you there as I work closely with my boss, it's the government penalizing you for hiring more people... and we wonder why people have a hard time getting or creating more jobs in this country.

@ Tawnos: trust me here, my stub isn't lying. 27% when I make a 40k salary, 47% when I start making a bonus that kicks it up to near 70k (those bonuses typically happen 3 months / year and I make about $10k /month before taxes, a little over $5k / month after taxes). I talked to my CPA last year and we took one deduction off this year as I was getting a little cash back (e.g. about 10% of the total I paid in). She said we'll see where it lands me this year, if I get enough money back we'll try another deduction.

If you're making 120k/year gross, that puts you in the top 15% of wage earners in America. Even so, I'm still calling BS on 47%.

Even claiming 0 deductions and single filer status (and I'm guessing you're eligible for at least one deduction) results in a 29.8% effective rate (state + federal income tax): http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/netpay/us/california/calculator.html

If your income drops to 70k/year (it's really hard to tell what you're actually claiming, as the numbers are all over the board - does 40k and 70k mean gross or net, and does 10k/month mean your actual gross earnings are 120k/year), you'd be paying a total of 24.5% tax. Again, this is with no deductions. Even including non-income-tax items, such as social security, medicare, and SDI, the effective rate for a 70k/year wage earner is 31%, not 47%, and for a 120k wage earner, it's 36.4%. So even at the highest income you've claimed to make, including the non tax bits (e.g. social security), there's no way you're paying 47%.

Playing with the calculator (still at 0 deductions, so likely not reflecting your situation), the only way I get a 47% rate is if I set earnings at 10 million per year. So, either you're exaggerating the rate you're paying or underreporting the amount you're earning...

OC for ME

since9 and OC for ME are the type that still believe the things Republican politicians say during election campaigns.
You have zero evidence on what I do or do not believe, especially if you rely on Interwebs forum posts from anonymous posters to this forum from locations unknown to you.

Besides, RP will not be around in 2016 and he will not become president in 2012. What will the Ron Paulistas do after 2012?

My focus is on congress and the state legislatures. Romney 2012 or Obama 2012, these are the only two options regarding the occupant of the White House come January 20th 2013.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
PFW, you are definitely born again hard. You are a minister of death praying for war. Outstanding.

Reeps tend to get us into wars. Demos tend to get us out of them.

That's another reason, as long as you are making a list of reasons you'd feel more secure.

:D

Dems tried to get us out of WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and Yugoslavia? Silly me, I thought they got us into them. I could have sworn Gerald Ford was a republican and got us out of 'Nam, The Iraq war ended according to the timeline Bush established, and that obozo has escalated the wheel spinning in Afghanistan.

Thanks for straightening it out for us.:rolleyes:

Shoobee

Dems tried to get us out of WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and Yugoslavia? Silly me, I thought they got us into them. I could have sworn Gerald Ford was a republican and got us out of 'Nam, The Iraq war ended according to the timeline Bush established, and that obozo has escalated the wheel spinning in Afghanistan.

Thanks for straightening it out for us.:rolleyes:

Looks like you are having to go back to ancient history.

Closer to the present you would see Afghanistan, Iraq 2, and Iraq 1.

Afghanistan was clearly necessary. The other 2 were clearly not.

At any rate, Obama does not seem like the kind of person to rush into war like GHW Bush and GW Bush did, over "yellowcake" and a botched diplomatic agreement with Saddam.

WalkingWolf

If you're making 120k/year gross, that puts you in the top 15% of wage earners in America. Even so, I'm still calling BS on 47%.

Even claiming 0 deductions and single filer status (and I'm guessing you're eligible for at least one deduction) results in a 29.8% effective rate (state + federal income tax): http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/netpay/us/california/calculator.html

If your income drops to 70k/year (it's really hard to tell what you're actually claiming, as the numbers are all over the board - does 40k and 70k mean gross or net, and does 10k/month mean your actual gross earnings are 120k/year), you'd be paying a total of 24.5% tax. Again, this is with no deductions. Even including non-income-tax items, such as social security, medicare, and SDI, the effective rate for a 70k/year wage earner is 31%, not 47%, and for a 120k wage earner, it's 36.4%. So even at the highest income you've claimed to make, including the non tax bits (e.g. social security), there's no way you're paying 47%.

Playing with the calculator (still at 0 deductions, so likely not reflecting your situation), the only way I get a 47% rate is if I set earnings at 10 million per year. So, either you're exaggerating the rate you're paying or underreporting the amount you're earning...

I am guessing you took into account state taxes, city taxes, and county taxes when making your statement. Here in NC my state taxes run almost as much as federal taxes, and I am guessing that CA has higher income taxes than NC. So if he is paying a basic rate of 24% where do you think that puts him with the state, city, and county income taxes? I am no expert on CA and it appears you are so please enlighten me.

()pen(arry

Obama does not seem like the kind of person to rush into war

That's really the problem with Americans and their politicians. Most Americans are perfectly happy, and feel totally justified, voting based on what "seems". They can't be troubled to worry about what is. That would eat into their precious reality TV time. It's why so much money is spent on elections, and why Americans pretend to hate that money buys elections, but won't think about why it's the case: politicians know that all they have to do is get the last input into what "seems" to voters, and voters are too apathetic and complacent to look or think any deeper.

"Obama does not seem". *snort* You're doing a heckuva job, citizen. Keep up the good work.

WalkingWolf

At any rate, Obama does not seem like the kind of person to rush into war like GHW Bush and GW Bush did, over "yellowcake" and a botched diplomatic agreement with Saddam.

Got any cites that prove we went to war over yellow cake? How about some cites that show Iraq was not necessary? Do you have a super top secret clearance? As far as going to war, Obama went to war with Libya, targeted grandchildren and killed them, why? He also killed two US citizens without due process. His AG was responsible for acts of War against Mexico that resulted in the loss of life of two US Federal Agents. Yea that Obama is such a great guy.

Jack House

Let's not forget who ordered the acts of war against Lybia, or what is about to happen in Syria.

SovereignAxe

Шптщку ршьб ршы рфекув ащк Щифьф идштвы ршь ещ еру зщште ру цщгдв мщеу ащк Щифьфб ша Щифьф цфы кгттштп щт еру Кузгидшсфт ешслуе гтвук ф вшааукуте тфьую

In English, this rougly translates into "Shptschku rshb rshy rfekuv aschk Schiff idshtvy rsh esch Yeru zschshte py tsschgdv mscheu aschk Schiffb sha Schiff tsfy kgttshtp & m Yeru Kuzgidshsft eshslue gtvuk f vshaaukute tfuyu"

Tawnos

I am guessing you took into account state taxes, city taxes, and county taxes when making your statement. Here in NC my state taxes run almost as much as federal taxes, and I am guessing that CA has higher income taxes than NC. So if he is paying a basic rate of 24% where do you think that puts him with the state, city, and county income taxes? I am no expert on CA and it appears you are so please enlighten me.

He said taxes out of his paycheck, which doesn't include things like sales tax, use tax, property tax, etc. I did account for all relevant CA taxes that would be seen as out of the paycheck, including those things which aren't strictly taxes. I used to live there, they do tax quite a bit, but nowhere near what he's claiming.

North Carolina is actually more expensive than CA for income tax up to a certain point ($111,419.40, to be exact, for a single filer). That's because the higher rate (6% and 7%) kicks in much earlier ($0 and $12,751, respectively) and that continues all the way until $37,234, when CA's marginal rate jumps to 8%.

What's interesting to me is that, for the purpose of this discussion, the state taxes aren't even affected by the vote in question. Of course, it's not like the President controls tax rates, either. Still, the numbers being claimed are hyperbolic at best. The government is not taking 47% of any of his paychecks, unless he's pulling in a ton more than 100k per year.

WalkingWolf

He said taxes out of his paycheck, which doesn't include things like sales tax, use tax, property tax, etc. I did account for all relevant CA taxes that would be seen as out of the paycheck, including those things which aren't strictly taxes. I used to live there, they do tax quite a bit, but nowhere near what he's claiming.

North Carolina is actually more expensive than CA for income tax up to a certain point ($111,419.40, to be exact, for a single filer). That's because the higher rate (6% and 7%) kicks in much earlier ($0 and $12,751, respectively) and that continues all the way until $37,234, when CA's marginal rate jumps to 8%.

What's interesting to me is that, for the purpose of this discussion, the state taxes aren't even affected by the vote in question. Of course, it's not like the President controls tax rates, either. Still, the numbers being claimed are hyperbolic at best. The government is not taking 47% of any of his paychecks, unless he's pulling in a ton more than 100k per year.

State, city, and county income tax DO come out of the paycheck. And in some states there are other taxes that come out of the paycheck. So his 47% does seem like a correct amount yet you disparaged his claim. I have seen the stubs from a friend that lives in NYC, and I can tell all kinds of carp is taken out there. So if you going to try to disparage someone you should at least be in the ballpark.

Jack House

In English, this rougly translates into "Shptschku rshb rshy rfekuv aschk Schiff idshtvy rsh esch Yeru zschshte py tsschgdv mscheu aschk Schiffb sha Schiff tsfy kgttshtp & m Yeru Kuzgidshsft eshslue gtvuk f vshaaukute tfuyu"
That's because you're translating it as a language and not a cypher. I hit the Cyrillic shortcut on my keyboard without paying attention. In short, I was writing my response in English on a Russian keyboard. *blushes*

SovereignAxe

That's because you're translating it as a language and not a cypher. I hit the Cyrillic shortcut on my keyboard without paying attention. In short, I was writing my response in English on a Russian keyboard. *blushes*

lol woooow

I wish I knew Russian well enough to even need that shortcut.

Automatica

So if you going to try to disparage someone you should at least be in the ballpark.

@ WalkingWolf: really doesn't matter to me at this point. I'm not about to scan my paycheck stub and post it up on the internet. I know what got taken out, and I trust my math. I'll post up raw numbers though from the last stub in YTD numbers -

Earnings (YTD) -
Regular: 18326.61
Bonus: 3682.00
Field Bonus: 3419.00
Total YTD: $25427.61

Withholdings (YTD) -
Social Security: 1067.96
Medicare: 368.70
Fed Income Tax: 4119.66
CA Income Tax: 1348.39
CA Disability: 254.28
Total withheld (YTD): $7158.99

7158.99/25427.61 = 28.2%

I'll have to dig up one of my stubs with the field bonus payments on top and post up raw numbers. They were taking out a lot more than the average 27(ish)%. Probably won't matter either way if a president says he's going to "lower taxes" anyway with this vote. Seems all politicians say one thing and do something entirely different anyway.

Shoobee

Got any cites that prove we went to war over yellow cake? How about some cites that show Iraq was not necessary? Do you have a super top secret clearance? As far as going to war, Obama went to war with Libya, targeted grandchildren and killed them, why? He also killed two US citizens without due process. His AG was responsible for acts of War against Mexico that resulted in the loss of life of two US Federal Agents. Yea that Obama is such a great guy.

Heck you don't even have to believe our troops were ever in Iraq or Afghanistan if you don't want to.

You can have any fantasy that you want.

As long as you are fantasizing about a win by Mitt.

Never gonna happen though.

Last edited:

Tawnos

@ WalkingWolf: really doesn't matter to me at this point. I'm not about to scan my paycheck stub and post it up on the internet. I know what got taken out, and I trust my math.

I'll have to dig up one of my stubs with the field bonus payments on top and post up raw numbers. They were taking out a lot more than the average 27(ish)%. Probably won't matter either way if a president says he's going to "lower taxes" anyway with this vote. Seems all politicians say one thing and do something entirely different anyway.

You can trust your math, but it's missing part of the equation. When tax returns roll around, though, you get back a lot of that money. You can really only look at year-end results (post-returns) to have any basis for declaring how much you pay in income tax. The reason you have to do this for standard numbers is that the tax system is somewhat dumb in how it applies tax. "What, you made 13k this past paycheck? Better tax you like you make that all year!" This happens to me every September. Since I'm in WA, I only see the increase in federal income tax, so the jump isn't as drastic, but still, at the end of the year that money gets refunded (or offsets stock sales >.>) because I wasn't actually earning enough across the year to jump me a bracket (though I'm pretty sure I'm jumping to the 33% marginal bracket when I get married in August).

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Ancient history? I wouldn't even call it classic, but since I brought up facts that marginalized your "point" it figures you'd make such a reach and attempt to marginalize mine. Furthermore Iraq 1 & 2 were totally neccessary from the point of view of most of both the Kuwaitis and Iraqi people. The Kuwaits I would guess are nearly unanimous in that regard, and I HAVE PERSONALLY SPOKEN TO Shiites and Kurds no longer being run over by T72's and gased to death appreciate the fact we got rid of a maniacal despot and his criminally sociopathic sons. Have you been there?

Afghanistan was neccessary also, but since the dimocrat president has take charge it seems to be an exersize in how not to kill the enemy and put soldiers at greater risk. Of course the moonabt messiah did point out he was "uncomfortable" with victory, so no suprise he's effectively thwarting any chance of it.

As it has been pointed out as well, in more present times the dhimnocrat president has bombed Libya, Yemen and Pakistan. Violated Pakistani soveriegnty with a small unit invasion that killed the isolated figurehead of Al-Queda (which is the single decision he's made that I completely agree with), and sits on top of an administration that purposefully armed criminal drug cartels for what appears to be political reasons. Mainly to create public oppinion that would welcome another gun ban.

Yet you'll sit there and actually defend this incompotent fraud? W.T.F. are you even doing on this forum?

@ WalkingWolf: really doesn't matter to me at this point. I'm not about to scan my paycheck stub and post it up on the internet. I know what got taken out, and I trust my math. I'll post up raw numbers though from the last stub in YTD numbers -

Earnings (YTD) -
Regular: 18326.61
Bonus: 3682.00
Field Bonus: 3419.00
Total YTD: $25427.61

Withholdings (YTD) -
Social Security: 1067.96
Medicare: 368.70
Fed Income Tax: 4119.66
CA Income Tax: 1348.39
CA Disability: 254.28
Total withheld (YTD): $7158.99

7158.99/25427.61 = 28.2%

Beside all your income taxes, lets not forget all the taxes on EVERYTHING you buy, let alone on everything you own. Don't forget "The United States ranked 102 out of 178 countries in Corporate Total Tax Rate ranking with a Corporate Total Tax Rate of 46.2%." Logically, if the corporations pay nearly %50 on their profits, they raise prices to compensate for that loss. They're not paying the tax, WE ARE!!

Now if we didn't have the FATTEST "poor" people in the world, who in many cases drive cars, have cable TV, cell phones, "bling" and all sorts of other crap I might not care that:

Mandatory entitlements (Unemployment, Medicaid, Medicare, SS) : 2,009 million dollars about 56% of the 2010 Federal Budget
SS: 19%
Medicaid: 8%
Unemployment: 16%
Medicare: 12 %

Defense Spending (including overseas operations): 663 million dollars or 18%

I am so sick of seeing morbidly obese welfare queens with their herds of fat kids using an EBT card to pay for a cart full of snack food and crap I wouldn't feed to hogs who use the handicap scooters rather than waddle through the store and burn off a few calories.

Heck you don't even have to believe our troops were ever in Iraq or Afghanistan if you don't want to.

You can have any fantasy that you want.

As long as you are fantasizing about a win by Mitt.

Never gonna happen though.

Right, because the moonbat messiah is so beloved by the voting population the same way he is in the media. Jack House is right, my contempt for obozo is so deep I would vote for Jerimiah Wright and Louis Faraklan if they were on the repub ticket over that idiot. As bad as anyone wants to make Oromney out to be, he would still be better than this asshat and could still be voted out in 4 years if he sucks as much as this moron does, which would be vitually impossible. The fantasy is all yours.