• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why would anyone carry in a church?

DCKilla

If you think about it, when soldiers are sent out for war. They are not sent to murder, but to defend. That's why we call it the department of defense. The killing of Osama was justified. He was infact a lawful combatant as well as a criminal.

Strictly speaking, that's not what 1 Timothy 5:8 says, but many have interpreted it to infer what you say. All it really states is in regarding to "providing" for one's relatives. If you're going to present this in a religious argument overself defense, remember to bring in some other quotes that help support that meaning (some of which have already been posted above).
I sited my source and took it's meaning as a reason to defend. Yes, you can provide food, shelter, and clothing for your family. A father must also provide a defense as well. I stand by my last post.

Last edited:

DevinWKuska

+1

If we could just convince the religious voters of this country to follow the instructions in the Bible, AND to stand up for the first amendment alone, there would be enough votes to decimate the anti viewpoint and the infringements that come with it. :exclaim:

I would love to agreee with you stainless... but IMO many churches I have been to seem to be leaning more toward quaker idealogy. Citing "If a man strikes you on your cheek, turn to him your other cheek." Although this scripture is not telling you to just lie down and take it. In reality in those times you would strike an equal with the palm side of your hand, and strike servants with the back of your hand. So if someone struck you with the backside of their hand and your turned your other cheek to them... you would have embarassed them because they would have to strike you as an equal or look like a bully.

I cant stand when people take versus and warp them to work for selfish ideals. Thats how cults get started, or even snake dancing. I saw a history channel on snake dancing churches in the south. They base 1/2 their worship service off of like 2 sentances in the bible... what about the rest of it? Meh thats my $.02

DevinWKuska

If you think about it, when soldiers are sent out for war. They are not sent to murder, but to defend. That's why we call it the department of defense. The killing of Osama was justified. He was infact a lawful combatant as well as a criminal.

Not sure your statement about soldiers is 100% since we invaded iraq. However... IMO the "Thou shalt not murder" I believe was created to mean individualized selfishly motivated murder. We could look at Genesis, exodus, kings, ect and see that individual murders were not tolerated. However those in a military are being given orders, and not following orders(serving others) would be a greater crime. SOldiers dont apply to murder because its not their war per se. They are following orders, to accomplish what they are paid to do. Cant get a bible atm as I gots my 3day old baby in my lap, but the story of the Faithful centurion who approached Jesus comes to mind.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
In my mind, you have the question backwards. "Why wouldn't anyone carry in a church?"

I carry to church just like I carry everywhere. My carry mode changes at church out of respect for the Pastor's preference but I would feel naked without my handgun. And no one wants me nekked in church! :eek:

One must read the title I wrote in the same context of other threads such as, "Who needs a gun in [City, State]?" It was meant to provoke the same kind of discussion regarding the right to self defense no matter where one happens to be. Sorry the title lead you astray.

papa bear

DSCN0113.jpg

i attended the Salvation Army church and also went to and donated to the thrift stores regular. then one morning a couple of weeks ago i came to church and this posting was up. though it is still illegal to carry in a church in NC. i think they reacted to things happening in VA and SC. here is a letter i sent to the NHQ

To whom it may concern
I would like a clarification on a post that i ran across at one of the salvation army church. it concerned the concealed carry of firearms (and "other weapons) . Questions came to mind. first do you mean the legal concealed carry of firearms in accordance with state law? lets say a person whom has been a victim of domestic violence and carries for their self defense. Also, do you mean also the legal open carry as well?

i would appreciate salvation army's stance on citizens protecting themselves

Thank you,
xxxx xxxx

here is what i sent to the major
hey Mike
when i was in church this morning. i noticed the "no canceled carry" notice on the door. i was wondering if, as per the wording on the "notice", meant just concealed , or all legal carry of a firearms. thanks CR

btw concealed carry of a weapon is illegal in NC

i hate the fact that the salvation army takes this stance. i always admired their tolerance for people's rights. i will give it one more try to find out exactly what is their stance, but i don't think it is encouraging
i will probably just go to a VA church. there are about two dozen within a mile of my house