• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife thinks i have a problem

B

bhancock

Why? What was incorrect in my reply?

For the sake of civility, unless you are less intelligent than I assume, know he was talking about another type of BG, that might intend to inflict mass damage to the persons within the hospital. Without any evidence that the facility in question bans firearms, you argue that he would be the BG by his criminal trespass, which at this point isn't even established.

In my opinion a person should try to hear how the words will be received by the recipient to provide good communication and not unnecessarily provoke said person.

Last edited:
B

bhancock

They don't have to have signs. Most hospitals disallow ANY weapons for the protection of staff.

It doesn't really matter what most do, it matters what the OP's hospital policy is. Shane should find out if they have a policy if he intends on carrying. He may also discuss it with the attending doctor if decides to carry so that he won't be surprised either. Doctors a lot of the time with allow much when it comes to comfort during childbirth.

RockerFor2A

Shane... I respect your dilemma and respect you as a person and since you did ask for opinions, I'll simply say that I think the most important issue is just how important this is to your wife. The legal issues are academic. But being willing to compromise sometimes with those we love is a good thing.

There are no guarantees, but in the scheme of things, without going through the math, the odds of something going down at the hospital that would require you to have your firearm are very, very small. To describe them as "infinitesimal" would probably not be an exaggeration.

In light of that, I'd say it can't hurt to make her happy. She's bearing your child, which from what women tell me is no day at the beach. Give a little on this... especially if it really is important to her. :)

sultan62

Yah its called private property law and applies to hospitals or any other businesses such as you mentioned that disallow firearms.

Push your way into a place that doesn't want you and be arrested for criminal trespass...

You want to try answering the question that was asked?

If you provide an intelligent response, I'll continue. If not, this is the last time I feed you.

rotty

Wow .. don't you ever stop provoking people COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack?

--------------

Not a good time to fight with the wife .. bend on this one and put it in your pocket for another time when you need some leeway :)

BIG congrats and best wishes.

TyGuy

While I live down in Illinois we have the poor excuse for CCW known as container carry. I don't like going anywhere unarmed because I don't know when something could go down. That said, I did not carry when my son was born four months ago.

I agree with other posters about it being about your wife. Even if she is completely comfortable with you carrying the mere chance that you could have a run in with LEOs is another stress that she doesn't need during birth. She needs to be able to be completely relaxed to let her uterus work at peak efficiency. If you really are concerned then maybe you could start OCing a few hours after the birth once you know that she and the baby are both alright.

Good luck! Did you take lamaze or bradley classes?

Shane28

no we just took a birthing class no lamaze. heres another question for you am I allowed to have it unloaded incased and inside of a bag or is that concealed. What if i use a computer bag as my gun case. Whats your thoughts on that?

Peacekeeper

Oh big surprise, look who is involved in derailing another thread.

People ... people ... people ... WE are derailing this and other threads. It's very simple .. STOP PRESSING THE REPLY WITH QUOTE BUTTON on all of Spartacus' comments. Stop feeding Spartacus. Ignore Spartacus. Imagine that Spartacus is not on this forum. Stay on topic!

skorittnig

no we just took a birthing class no lamaze. heres another question for you am I allowed to have it unloaded incased and inside of a bag or is that concealed. What if i use a computer bag as my gun case. Whats your thoughts on that?

Hi Shane,

I work at a hospital- I have worked at many hospitals. I cannot remember a hospital that didn't have a sticker on the door indicating that firearms weren't allowed. It is my understanding that firearms aren't allowed in hospitals--but I could be wrong. In addition- labor and delivery units are usually locked these days- meaning that security is tight. I think there would be a huge "to-do" if one of the nurses, or another staff member saw an armed individual in the O.B. unit---I would seriously suggest contacting the manager of the O.B. unit, to ask if firearms are allowed.

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out.

Congrats!!

skorittnig

MKEgal

I cannot remember a hospital that didn't have a sticker on the door indicating that firearms weren't allowed.

The one I go to about once a week isn't posted. I made sure to look, even reading the small-print sign off to the side of the door. OTOH, I don't want to freak anyone out, so I have it in a case. (Where's the intersection of "unloaded & encased" and "concealed"? A court has to decide.) As long as nothing happens & I don't take it out, nobody gets their knickers in a knot.

This is important to your wife or she wouldn't have said anything. I completely understand how her concern about confrontation by hospital staff, or even an actual problem, would ruin the day/evening/whatever, & Ty is right that she needs to be as relaxed & happy as possible for everything to go right. (I tell my clients that their job is to get the baby out, and the job of their partner & me is to keep them as happy & comfortable as possible.) ((I'm a Doula.))

In this specific case, don't bother asking the hospital if they prohibit the exercise of civil rights. (But if you do ask, phrase it that way.)
Put it in a case, in the rest of the stuff you're bringing along. Locking it might be good, to prevent someone from "accidentally" opening it.

As an aside, this is a good reason to use a birth center or have a home birth - no stupid hospital policies to deal with (learn how to stand up for yourself, and write some things into your birth plan), and the people who would be around you are there because YOU asked them, YOU trust them.
Unless there's a medical problem that needs constant high-tech attention, a home birth with a midwife (a person trained to assist at normal births, unlike an OB) is as safe as a hospital birth, MUCH less stressful, and MUCH less likely to result in an infection or damage to the patient(s), not to mention all the costly & dangerous interventions hospitals like to pad their bills with.

Shell

I'm an RN, and every hospital that I've ever worked at has had a "no firearms" policy. Usually this policy wasn't blatantly posted at the door either. So I would definitely give them a call to find out before you even bring your gun unloaded and encased in a bag that might accidentally get open or could even stress out a knowing wife in labor who is already stressed enough.

Oh and I second the homebirth/birth center thing ;) It's never too late to switch--I switched from a Dr/hospital to a midwife/birth center when I was 36 weeks pregnant with my first! In any case, good luck and congratulations!

anmut

Looking for your opinion. Wife thinks i have a problem because I dont want to be with out my gun at the hospital when our child is born. To tell you the truth I have only not had my gun with-in arms reach once since I bought it. I left it home this last weekend while i went to bucks game and out to drink. Other than my wifes wishes do you think I have a problem?

P.S. doing this thread was her idea (edit)

If the hospital doesn't restrict it I say go for it. If she's worried about you carrying becoming an issue with doctors and nurses, just keep it loaded in your travel bag. That way it's still within reach if needed.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
heres another question for you am I allowed to have it unloaded incased and inside of a bag or is that concealed. What if i use a computer bag as my gun case. Whats your thoughts on that?

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon.
Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. To "go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
The elements are, "dangerous weapon", "hidden" and not "unloaded" or "incased[sic]".