• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will police stop me if I open carry a sword?

XD40coyote

imported post

Wow that vid was great! How much do these sell for and how much hacking can you do before the blade starts to dull?

I liked the bamboo slicing and loved the pig being hacked up.

Now are you going to OC near Johns Hopkins? LOL

turbodog

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I completely SECOND that, turbodog. AS a seasoned light-weapons fighter, and the #7 White Scarf in Atlantia with over 25 years of fencing, sword fighting, and period rapier research under my belt
Not to hijack the thread, but as you seem to be seriously into the art Dreamer, do you happen to know a friend of mine by the name of Mac Brand? He's another very serious guy into period rapier.

Maximum

imported post

XD40coyote. The manufacturer sells it to distributors who then sell it to you. There is no official price. But you should be able to get it under $200 dollars. Mine was $190. You can buy swords on amazon, ebay.

The sword is heat treated properly. The heat treat is more important than the type of steel (but the steel must be high carbon). It's mass produced so regular guys can afford it.

I have not pressure tested the sword yet so I have not had to sharpen it.

You might want a bastard sword instead of a grosse messer though. The bastard is lighter, a better stabber, and double edged.

I have stopped carrying the sword after the 2cd day. It was too much of a pain to carry and too slow to draw.

Dreamer

imported post

Whenever anyone starts talking about swords as a modern Self Defense weapon, I always think of that Indiana Jones scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUUAQWR8U4

Interesting bit of movie trivia: this scene was NOT scripted. Jones was supposed to use his whip to take the sword out of the guys hand, but Harrison Ford was suffereing from a mild case of dysentery, and after trying to shot this scene three or four times, he improvised the gun bit in frustration, and Speilberg called it a wrap because the improv was WAY better than the scripted scene...

PT111

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Whenever anyone starts talking about swords as a modern Self Defense weapon, I always think of that Indiana Jones scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUUAQWR8U4

Interesting bit of movie trivia: this scene was NOT scripted. Jones was supposed to use his whip to take the sword out of the guys hand, but Harrison Ford was suffereing from a mild case of dysentery, and after trying to shot this scene three or four times, he improvised the gun bit in frustration, and Speilberg called it a wrap because the improv was WAY better than the scripted scene...
And probably one of the best scenes of the movie. Any time you only bring a knife, even a big one, to a gun fight you are at a disadvantage. Better have a backup. :celebrate

Seigi

imported post

My prior post seems to have been interpreted as an opinion that the sword is legal, so I'll clarify.

Penknife - (Emphasis added.)
Neither source is authoritative, of course, particularly not the second, but there was no definition in Maryland law that I saw, so I went for common usage.

I'm thinking that a sword is not going to qualify as a penknife, on account of being huge, non-folding, and generally ill-suited for trimming small, quill-like things. If so, and if my prior analysis was correct, then carrying a sword is a violation of the statute. It is not the statutory interpretation that I would like to reach, but it is the one I believe to be the most accurate. It may be possible to overturn the statute on constitutional grounds, but an acquittal does not remove the record of the arrest. Such records can be problematic during job searching, particularly if a rabid supporter of citizen disarmament asks for an explanation during an interview. Also, because the police will have reasonably relied upon the statute, there will be no remedy available for the arrest.

I would not carry a sword in Maryland without first obtaining legal advice from an attorney. (Which, I reiterate, I am not, and do not give.)

Vanns40

(I am not a lawyer, what is to follow is my personal opinion and should not be relied upon. This is not legal advice.)

First, the tl;dr:
The question of legality here would appear to depend on whether a sword is "a penknife without a switchblade."

Now, the why:
Some language in the statute:

(Emphasis added.)
The use of the word "includes" rather than a word such as "is" indicates an illustrative rather than comprehensive list.

Take a note of this, it comes up in a case.

Look at their cites for case law:
I looked up the cases. The first case is Anderson v. State, 328 Md. 426, 614 A.2d 963 (Md. 1992). The second is Johnson v. State, 90 Md.App. 638, 602 A.2d 255, (Md. Ct. Spec. App. 1992).

The first case, Anderson, is a successful appeal from a conviction - the defendant went free. The object in question was a "utility knife" and was described in a footnote of the case opinion:

The reasoning they used to reach this reversal is not good for the OP. It focuses on intent: whether an object is for use on inanimate objects or on people. OP's sword is meant for (defensive) use on people. The opinion compares a carpenter with a cutting tool to a youth in a high crime neighborhood with the same object; the first is a tool, the second a weapon. 328 Md. at 438, 614 A.2d at 968. The case did say, however, that "penkni[ves] without [] switchblade" are a per se exception - they are not weapons regardless of intent. Id. Is OP's sword a "penknife without a switchblade"?

I do not know whether the intended defensive nature of the sword would be of much, or indeed any, assistance. I am inclined to believe that it would not. The opinion stated that "these statutes protect the wearers or carriers of weapons from themselves" and went on to describe how carrying weapons makes people a danger to themselves and others. 328 Md. at 432, 614 A.2d at 966. (It is a fairly standard discourse with an observation that having people on unequal footing can result in (potentially lethal) misbehavior, with the standard omission of consideration of the possibility that persons may be more equal and well behaved if they all have weapons instead of just the criminals. Since the like has been discussed in great length and detail in other threads, and since the only relevance to this thread is to show the mood of the court, I shall limit my commentary to the following emoticon: :banghead:) These judges are not fans of armed citizens - but after 18 years maybe they, or their replacements, have come around.

On to Johnson v. State, 90 Md.App. 638, 602 A.2d 255, (Md. Ct. Spec. App. 1992).
The facts:
The conviction for having a weapon with intent to injure was reversed due to insufficiency of evidence. Here's the quote:

(Emphasis added.) 90 Md.App. at 648-649, 602 A.2d at 260.

So it might not have been a weapon because it might have been a penknife that was not a switchblade. Which suggests that if the State can show that the blade was greater than three inches AND not a "a penknife without a switchblade" that there would be sufficient evidence for a conviction. Again, the question of legality would appear to depend on whether a sword is "a penknife without a switchblade."

Wow, good post! I would say, to the wearer, oh oh, you might wind up in a mental ward for observation for 72 hrs. and I'm not kidding. The police could, conceivably, convince a judge that anyone carrying a sword in their daily life would need to be evaluated. That would have some nasty ramifications down the road if not taken off your record.

If I were you, I'd rethink this unless you have a considerable amount of money to make their lives miserable, which is exactly what they're going to make your's.