• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wis. DOJ warns consumers about gun training

mrjam2jab

What part ofb) 1. The department shall certify instructors for the
purposes of par. (a) 1. c. and e. don't you understand?

b) 1. The department shall certify instructors for the
purposes of par. (a) 1. c. and e.

Is just a small part of the training options.
Someone with NRA or similar cert does NOT need to be certified by WIDOJ. The part you quote only covers 2 of the 5 training options. And is only last lilne of (e).

Last edited:

LaBomba

It looks like the debate is whether ALL instructors mentioned in the new law must be certified by DOJ (in which case, yes, only WI residents would qualify),

I thought the thread was about whether 100% of the training being sold out there was going to have DOJ's approval. That's what my posts are about, anyway.

As I state in the first sentence of post #16 -- the post you selectively quote -- "I agree that there are several types of training that do not entail DOJ-certified instructors." I guess you missed that.

I agree 100% with you that DOJ certification isn't required for all training. I think we have a different view of how much latitude DOJ is going to exercise. Right now, DOJ is telling people that DNR hunter safety is the only training guaranteed to pass muster. That tells me that DOJ plans to specify who is qualified to train. Will NRA qualify as a national group? Almost certainly. Will every nationally-certified instructor meet DOJ's standards? Not necessarily.

I don't think DOJ is out to undermine the law. But it is an agency made of lawyers, charged with implementing the law, and it's going to do more than rubberstamp every would-be group and teacher. Think about it: If DOJ didn't set some criteria, my sister's scrapbooking club could declare itself a national organization and start croppin out some real purty certificates.

M

McX

5 ads this am in the local rag. they even have the ordacity to say DOJ approved!

Outdoorsman1

5 ads this am in the local rag. they even have the ordacity to say DOJ approved!

Wow... if they are actually advertizing DOJ approved, and the DOJ has not yet issued it's "approved" list... maybe a "False Advertizeing" telephone call might be in order...not that it would do any good...

Outdoorsman

Big Dipper

Wow... if they are actually advertizing DOJ approved, and the DOJ has not yet issued it's "approved" list... maybe a "False Advertizeing" telephone call might be in order...not that it would do any good...

Outdoorsman

Be careful with that. DOJ could also stand for:

• Disciples of Jesus
  • Dark Order of the Jedi
  • Defender of Justice (comic)
  • Dermatology Online Journal

So maybe they just aren't careful with what they are advertising. They may very well be approved by the Dark Order of the Jedi!!!

mrjam2jab

Be careful with that. DOJ could also stand for:

• Disciples of Jesus
  • Dark Order of the Jedi
  • Defender of Justice (comic)
  • Dermatology Online Journal

So maybe they just aren't careful with what they are advertising. They may very well be approved by the Dark Order of the Jedi!!!

Or....maybe the instructors are NRA certified...which makes their class DOJ approved.... :)

Captain Nemo

The "list"of certified instructors the DoJ will prepare will not be a list of all instructors and/or organizations that are approved by the Doj to provide firearm training to Wisconsin citizens. It will be a list of instructors that are not already certified by a state or national organization and wish to be certified and approved so they can provide firearms training to Wisconsin residents. After providing adequate qualifiction information to the DoJ the DoJ will issue them a certification to conduct firearms instruction.

My opinion