• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. challenges state school zone open carry ban - lawsuit filed!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Wisconsin Carry, Inc. wrote:
As tocomments about the FEDERAL GFSZA, this was taken from this site: http://wise.fau.edu/~tunick/courses/conlaw/gunlaw.htmlwhich is a copy of the actual congressional record.
The original act made it a Federal crime to knowingly bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a school or to fire a gun in these zones, with carefully crafted exceptions. The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1995 does exactly what the old act did. However, it adds a requirement that the prosecutor prove as part of each prosecution that the gun moved in or affected interstate or foreign commerce.
And one federal judge in Wisconsin already ruled that this "fix" did not overcome Lopez. I'm sure you Wisconin experts have that case cite handy, no?

United States v. Hoffmeyer
maybe?