• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin open carry or concealed carry?

PLothary

imported post

Just discovered this forum through a quick check on the legality of being a bicyclist and Open Carry in my state, Wisconsin. The vigor of the threads here on this subject is overwhelming.

Makes me want to buy my first handgun and OC, just to find out what the hell they'd do!

Good luck everyone and thanks for keeping our constitutional rights in the forefront.

pls email me if there is ever an OC march, i'd be glad to participate.

(remove 'NOSPAM' to email): savagemythNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Bicyclist? I first came to Wisconsin to ride bicycle, GRABAAWR & SAGBRAW for some years 'til I spent a week riding Washigton Island after the 2005 ride and moved here 100 days later. October last we rode 800 miles around Lake Michigan above the Ferry Badger.

Welcome.

I rode about 40,000 miles in SC while armed.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I found the following excerpt from the Hamdan case to be quite interesting. It summarizes the position of the Attorney General Office concerning the carry of firearms during the time Doyle was Attornry General. It is found in para. 72. The paragraph is a discussion around the State Supreme Court statement implying that when a weapon is handled and moved it will be either visible or hidden. The State's objective for prosecuting the Hamdan case was to get Hamdan convicted of carrying a concealed (hidden) weapon and the following is the SSC's summary of the State's response.

"The State argues that even under the strictest enforcement of the CCW statute, a person lawfully in posession of a firearm will always retain the ability to keep the firearm in the open-holding the weapon in the open, keeping the weapon in a visible holster, displaying the weapon on the wall, or otherwise placing the weapon in plain view."

I wonder how the phrase " placing the weapon in plain view" would play out in an argument in a 167.31(2)(b) (Vehicle carry law)?

I can't imagine a stronger endorsement of open carry. An endorsement from the top law enforcement agency in the State. Now, how in h--l do we get that message down to the rank and file law enforcement agencies?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You know, this sounds like to me the way Washington was back in 2005.

What you should do is post in the Washington forum for advice. Post up the situation in full, what the laws are, and we can help. We have local ordinances involving DTP and Disorderly Conduct, yet we don't have the problems Wisconsin has.