• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodinville homeowner shoots a burglar

tombrewster421

My wife is the same, insisted on a .380. So I insisted she carry Buffalo Bore lead flat nose +P ammo. With a .380 I'm more concerned about adequate penetration vs expansion.

Also, for home defense think about a 20 gauge shotgun. My wife loves her cheapo 20 gauge coach gun, can handle it easily, and 20 gauge buck is still damned effective at in-house ranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the newer .380s modeled after the Ruger have very thin walls in the chamber and barrel. I was wondering if you have used any of the +p ammo and know how well these guns hold up to the extra pressure. As far as I know, they're not rated for it are they? My wife has the Taurus .380

Metalhead47

All the newer .380s modeled after the Ruger have very thin walls in the chamber and barrel. I was wondering if you have used any of the +p ammo and know how well these guns hold up to the extra pressure. As far as I know, they're not rated for it are they? My wife has the Taurus .380

My wife has the Bersa, with +p ammo in ANY gun, it is to be used SPARINGLY. After all it's carry ammo, not practice. Yes, she's put about a box & a half thru for function testing, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeltaOps

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions. The back story is that I want my wife to start CC'ing. She has small hands, and most firearms are just uncomfortable for her. And when you take a small 9mm, it is usually a snappy one to shoot. Naturally, she likes to shoot .380 more because of low recoil. My internet investigation shows that .380 is about half as powerful as 9mm. My consern is that if she is in a situation when a guy attacks her, she only has so much time to stop him. And an equal number/placement of 9mm shots will have higher chance of stopping a guy. I know that the shot placement is very important, and the man with a hole in the head does not care if it was a .45 or .22. But more realistic during stress is shots placed into the torso area. The incident in Woodinville is interesting to me, because it sounded like the homeowner used a smaller caliber, providing a small caliber self-defense case from real life.

From responses posted, I see that a reasonable strategy for my wife would be to have a .380 gun that she would carry and practice with more often, because she likes it better than a 9mm. And in case of an attack, keep shooting until the guy stops or the gun runs out of ammo, in which case try to outrun a hopefully wounded attacker.

If your wife is more comfortable with a .380 then that is the pistol she should be carrying. Practice and practice some more. While she is home, (pistol unloaded, both barrrel and magazine) have her practice removing pistol from the cc position and aiming down sites and dry firing. I STRESS, MAKE SURE THE PISTOL DOES NOT HAVE ANY AMMO IN MAGAZINE OR IN THE CHAMBER.. Also you might want to keep reminding her to never place her finger on the trigger until she is ready to actually pull the trigger. Once she feels ready to try with ammo, I would take her to a range that will let her fire from the CC position, (range that I goto does not allow that). Either that or take her into the forest where you can legally target practice. Many of things that one can do to practice, but one may never really be prepared to actually engage on someone until it really happens. Simunitions training is as close to real as one can get, if one can afford it. practice, practice and practice.

07Altima

There is a reason I carry big

I like my 45 colt rounds, and 410 triple buck 5 pellet those suckers at close range will put down a full size line backer with two shots, anything 25 ft or closer is going to result in being hit with anywhere from the space of a 50. to being hit by 5, 37. caliber balls in a range of 7 to ten ft. they spread to 1in. at close range 5 ft. its about half an in. or 50. so that 410 is going to leave them hurting also copper plated so not your average ball. the 45 colt I carry is Hornady Critical defense. I dont think two shots from either would result in any guy ever running past me. Although if on PcP that may be another story, or acid. Either way must have been 40 or smaller maybe a 38 seen some people keep going after two or 3 38s Either way glad he got the bad guy some early justice :D