• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you financially support the establishment of a Washington State group?

Would you financially support the establishment of a Washington State group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killchain

Remember what I said about GeorgiaCarry.org: They went without paid staff for 3 or 4 years.

As long as the paid staffer (again, we're talking years) has the same values in terms of pushing for things that the organization does, and doesn't "sell out" to perpetuate itself, I don't see the problem as long as the players on the board of directors and who is hired is well-known, and can show some form of forward progress in the Legislature. People can choose to support it or not with donations. If they're ineffective, their money dries up, but that applies whether or not paid staff exists.

This isn't a matter of being paid to be an activist, it's a matter of someone being able to 100 percent focus on the task at hand rather than being pulled apart by real life needs such as keeping a roof over their head.

When I did what I did here in Washington, I was able to do it for nearly 2 years, and then real life caught up with me because I had to pay bills and keep a roof over my head, significantly reducing my role on the local open carry scene here. Would it have been different if I was part of an organized grassroots group as a paid staffer? Probably because I could have focused on the job at hand for years and did more, but we'll never know. I have a good career at my job, which pays me quite well, and I wouldn't give it up for the vow of poverty that doing unpaid activist lobbying can do. I do what I can with the time I have.

I realize that this group may be a dirty word around here, but SAF wouldn't be as effective as they are without paid staff. Same with the Citizens Committee. SAF fought for some of the best legal victories on guns that we have. Not bad for a paid staff org.....just sayin.

I see your point, and it's a good one... and I agree for the most part... but my point here is that forming a paid group for this cause is making a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (for the most part), in my eyes. Sure, there are some cases of local PD's not knowing the state law, but this can and has been handled by local guys who go yell at the city council and get it fixed.