• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you support new WA Concealed Carry Laws?

Marty Hayes

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Marty-

I would definitely support Training if it gave the residents of WA a greater number of States accepting our CPL. But here comes the rub.

Training is viewed by many to be an infringement on their right but I am not among them. I to have an issue with Training when it comes to the curriculum. WHO is going to decide? Who is going to provide this training? What will it cost? Where and When will it be available?

A training requirement could be viewed by some parts of our lawmaking bodies as an opportunity to limit carry of firearms. Just limit it to a few areas of availability, times of year, make it high cost, and guess what, nobody seeks it and no CPL's are issued.

Then there is the question of "Vested Interest". There is a training industry already established in the State. Anyone here we know? Is the training requirement going to be crafted to benefit these few or will it be offered through Gun Clubs, Police Departments, or Private Instructors (all with proper certification of course)? What will be the level of training? Simple like "This is how you load it and the bullet comes out here" or full "Tactical Zombie Hunting" like some seem to think is necessary?

I would support a course that is available no less thantwice per month in every county. It would include basic gun safety, training on the legal use of a firearm in Self Defense, and spends no longer than 4 hours total. Some may say this is too little but it sure is more than required today. Cost should be limited to no more than the current cost of a CPL and the certification should be lifetime.

Keep it simple and basic. Leave the "Tactical" training for those that either need it for their jobs or those that have huge egos to maintain.
Please understand I wasn't suggesting this, just curious what other people thought, that being taking our current law, and enhancing it to allow our WA CPL to be recognized in many more states, in exchange for incorporating a training component, as those states have that we would seek reciprocity with.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am going to repeat myself....

If you do not know/understand/appreciate the founders and the 2nd Amendment then please read about them. A great synopsis is the 2nd Amendment Primer (put out by the NRA)

".....shall not be infringed."

no training requirement (let your grandpa and your dad teach you)

no age requirement (let your grandpa and your dad decide)

the founders knew exactly what they were doing, EXACTLY! (remember the founders commited TREASON so that we could be free! would you?)

MrGray

imported post

kparker wrote:
MrGray,

I've already proposed a 2-tier system, but a better one:

Tier 1: 18 (or 21) and older, no permit required. If you're legal to own a handgun, you're legal to carry it, concealed or openly.

Tier 2: [same as yours].

Please note that my tier 1 (with the higher age limit) is already the case for open carry outside of vehicles, so it's not exactly unprecented here in the state.

Yes, and your scheme is better.