• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WOW talk about a blatant attack on Open Carry by Connecticut

KIX

Rich nailed it.

You should see when I catch someone in public doing the same thing. We have a chat, and often that light goes on and they get it.

Often when they are wrong, they turn to the other negatives like "I don't want it to change, so I don't want to push it" or "I feel safer concealed".

I usually say - so be it. It's not for everyone. But merely stating that is illegal or we are concealed carry just repeats the myth that it is illegal to open carry.

Great going guys,

Jonathan

blackbilly

BlackBilly, First of all, welcome to the site. You have chosen the best forum (imo) to find out what is fact, from what is myth. I cannot stress enough the fact that you need to listen, understand and digest EVERYTHING that Rich B. writes on here. He is the one we all tend to turn to for questions etc. Please continue to look around and follow previous links to educate yourself on the legality of opencarry. Good luck and have fun.

Thank you sir. I have read a good deal. There is a lot of pages to go through. Gonna take a bit. Lets face it, damn eyes start hurting after looking at a screen for too long. lol.
Anyways. I can understand why instructor don't divulge the OC info. Lets face it, most people getting a permit are the sheeple who are looking to buy for home. Then there are people who carry. I encourage it in any form. Though I think some should not OC. Why you ask? They don't have the experience or common sense. They don't have the education that the people here do. They should, but the course offered in CT are your BASIC pistol course. I do think courses should be more involved. Then the price and time go up. Most have a hard time paying the 100+ to take the course to get the permit to begin with.

I guess what I'm getting at is society is undereducated and don't care to really learn laws or understand the constitution. Unless you get a full article in the papers and on the news, it will never get out there.

Sorry if I speak out of place, but I am just sharing my thoughts.

Rich B

They should, but the course offered in CT are your BASIC pistol course. I do think courses should be more involved.

There are many 'courses' offered in Connecticut. It is your responsibility to take them.

A piece of cloth over a firearm does not make it safer for an uneducated or untrained individual to carry a firearm.

blackbilly

There are many 'courses' offered in Connecticut. It is your responsibility to take them.

A piece of cloth over a firearm does not make it safer for an uneducated or untrained individual to carry a firearm.

Sorry. I should of said courses. It is the individuals responsibility, but most take just the Basic.

As for the clothing thing. It is a piece of mind for the sheeple IMO.

I'm not arguing with you Rich. I am just putting my opinion out there. Education is a must and you are very informative. I thank you for that, but unless it is taught to all, well you know what happens. It needs to be taught to all, not just CT permit holders.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Sorry didn't read all the posts and skimmed over the 3 pages to this point. Good going on getting the site info adjusted.

Since you have a represenative who will actually return email, I would suggest that he contact the Attorney Generals office and get a letter of Opinion written on the legalities of Open Carry and how far law enforcement's reach might be. In most states citizens cannot request this kind of thing from the AG but a Representative or Senator would be able to. I have some AG info that I can pass along if interested, just contact me by PM.

Rich B

Sorry didn't read all the posts and skimmed over the 3 pages to this point. Good going on getting the site info adjusted.

Since you have a represenative who will actually return email, I would suggest that he contact the Attorney Generals office and get a letter of Opinion written on the legalities of Open Carry and how far law enforcement's reach might be. In most states citizens cannot request this kind of thing from the AG but a Representative or Senator would be able to. I have some AG info that I can pass along if interested, just contact me by PM.

That has been tried before, but I have to say it is not a bad idea to try again. I am going to get this done in the next day or so.

As always, everything I do will be posted here.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
And what difference does that make? How is it relevant to the topic of open carry?

Did you just ask how the constitution and laws are relevant to open carry? Seriously?

This thread has already devolved from the original intent of the OP. The whole point of this thread was to discuss the "see something, say something" website of CT. Shawn did his work and the website got changed. That's what's important. Let's not start another debate.

blackbilly

Did you just ask how the constitution and laws are relevant to open carry? Seriously?

This thread has already devolved from the original intent of the OP. The whole point of this thread was to discuss the "see something, say something" website of CT. Shawn did his work and the website got changed. That's what's important. Let's not start another debate.

Thank you.

Sorry if I created a debate.

Rich B

Any one have a Wikipedia account? The CT Firearms law section still states that the "don't let people see your gun" comment

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Connecticut

Good catch! I don't think I have ever seen that one before.

I love the "citation needed" tag. A personal favorite of mine.

I don't have an account. If someone else does, it would be great to edit. Otherwise, I may have to see what it takes to become an editor.

Last edited:

KIX

Since you have a represenative who will actually return email, I would suggest that he contact the Attorney Generals office and get a letter of Opinion written on the legalities of Open Carry and how far law enforcement's reach might be.

I think this is a VERY bad idea for us.

Our current attorney general likes to think he can design law at whim. He drafted our horrible assault weapons legislation years ago when he was a CT rep.

He just may take it upon himself (and I think he would) to interpret it to say just what he wants it to say. Then.......... who knows.

I just think it's bad for us in this instance.

Just my .02 cents, now I want my change back,

Jonathan

blackbilly

I believe that is what you came here to do. You are making wishy-washy statements and you refuse to clarify anything you have said. You are purposely dodging questions put forth in regards to your comments.

That is a insult and no that is not the reason I came here. If you didn't read what I have written then it is your fault. I have clarified what I felt needed to be. Not here for a battle.