• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP called about 2A Rally

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Come on folks, It is a REQUEST...can we not be polite and even consider it?

Yes, you can legally carry a loaded cocked exposed hammer 10 ga shotgun with a 2 lb trigger into a large gathering in a public park, but is it safe and intelligent to do so?

The 2A ralley is to score points for our position, not cause problems...think about it. Do you want to look equally stupid as those unruly "protestors" that demonstrate against the 2A? or do you wnat to be seen as resonsible citizens?

I organized a large pro-gun rally at the Michigan Capital last April. Firearms are allowed into our capital building, but not in the two chambers. We had hundreds of loaded long guns without an incident.

I will add two things. The State Police asked me to announce that they would request we not bring long guns into the capitol as it may scare the children. I asked the Lt. are you sure you want me to do that? He said yes. I knew that as soon as I announced that over the mike that dozens of people would immediately go into the capital building. And they did. They most likely never would have considered doing that until the MSP asked them not to. Human nature.

The second thing is that the house of representatives waved the no gun rule for the day and allowed anyone with a firearm to go into the gallery. A few dozen took them up on this offer.

Nothing happened, kid's were not screaming, no one seemed to panic and if I recall not one person was shot either, intentionally, or accidentally.

The point is that your state's request was bound to provoke controversy. It was a dumb move on their part to have made that request.

amlevin

The State Police asked me to announce that they would request we not bring long guns into the capitol as it may scare the children.

What planet do these people come from? When I was a kid I was fascinated by guns. I would look over the local "Beat Cop's" pistol and ask him all kinds of questions. Anytime I saw rifles carried by Color Guards or marching troops I wanted to know what model they were. My neighbors had a huge variety of hunting rifles and shotguns and I was curious about each and every one of them.

This has been the case for my kids and my grandkids too.

Let's face it, the only ones that are scared of firearms are the "government functionaries". Not the kids.

In some ways I think we ought to let the children lead us. Ever notice how small kids will play in a group and have fun. They don't care if the rest of the kids are Black, Brown, or Yellow, Rich or Poor. They just have fun. Then along comes a parent and points out the differences and imparts their prejudices on them.

Same goes for firearms. Instead of exposing their kids to firearms and safety they do everything in their power to keep firearms in the "to be feared" category for the kids.

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
I'm not sure if these requests are backed by tacit threat of arrest, but its possible that it is. State v. Spencer and 270 is still law though questionable post-Sieyes and post-McDonald.

It is a risk. Something like a Kentucky Rifle is different than an AR.

People are individual adults. Though I don't think arrests will happen, it is possible. We cannot physically interfere with an arrest for obvious reasons.

.45ACPaddy

I'm not sure if these requests are backed by tacit threat of arrest, but its possible that it is. State v. Spencer and 270 is still law though questionable post-Sieyes and post-McDonald.

People are individual adults. Though I don't think arrests will happen, it is possible. We cannot physically interfere with an arrest for obvious reasons.

I saw pics from last year where people had AR's, no incident. If anyone is doing something stupid, they'll immediately be called out on it. I highly doubt anything will happen. The 2A crowd has their head on straight when it comes to this stuff.

The only reason anyone is considering carrying a long gun is because it's a 2A rally, so it fits the theme. Under those circumstances, I'd say it's to be expected. They'll simply be slung on the back, not waved above heads in the air.

sudden valley gunner

I agree with your assessment that it is unlikely to be arrests. I would like to point out that a major component of Spencer was the demeanor of the individual, along with the other items mentioned. Like PC and RAS often times you can not have those if the "suspicious" activity is not accompanied by other factors.

I would say it wouldn't be prudent or further our cause at this particular juncture not physically interfere. I would encourage being a strong presence, witness, and to record any action by "authorities" to the best of our abilities. The blanket statement of saying we cannot physically interfere is not recognizing our rights as citizens I fear there will be a time where we may have to Physically interfere. Sometime in the future and hopefully not at all.

sudden valley gunner

I saw pics from last year where people had AR's, no incident. If anyone is doing something stupid, they'll immediately be called out on it. I highly doubt anything will happen. The 2A crowd has their head on straight when it comes to this stuff.

The only reason anyone is considering carrying a long gun is because it's a 2A rally, so it fits the theme. Under those circumstances, I'd say it's to be expected. They'll simply be slung on the back, not waved above heads in the air.

I disagree with this statement.

When taken out of context you can disagree with it. But when I read the whole context it seems he is saying as a "whole" we have our head on pretty straight about this. Of course there are idiots in every group of people. I for one will not infringe upon peoples rights because of idiots.

Also when compared to some of the other activists who have protested and showed up at the capitol grounds and rallies, I think 2A people do have their heads screwed on fairly straight.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I disagree with this statement.

When taken out of context you can disagree with it. But when I read the whole context it seems he is saying as a "whole" we have our head on pretty straight about this. Of course there are idiots in every group of people. I for one will not infringe upon peoples rights because of idiots.

Also when compared to some of the other activists who have protested and showed up at the capitol grounds and rallies, I think INSERT ADJECTIVE HERE 2A people do have their heads screwed on fairly straight.

All? Some? OCers?

I have seen to many that simply do not have their heads screwed on straight to say all...

sudden valley gunner

All? Some? OCers?

I have seen to many that simply do not have their heads screwed on straight to say all...

I don't think Paddy or I mentioned or referred to all. In general I tend to think the best of people. But I hear ya I actually took a gun away from a friend of mine a few months ago. I find that these are usually people who lack understanding, education and are the exception to the rule rather than the rule. Most (there's your adjective :lol:) firearm owners I know take it very seriously like any other dangerous tool or object.

SpyderTattoo

I agree that most have it together. There are MANY that don't. If you sit at the "tie-table" at the WAC Puyallup gunshow, out at the ticket booth entrance, you'll see MANY that don't have their $hit wired tight.

I've mentioned before, I've had alot of loaded weapons handed to me, set down on the table in front of me, and been covered by the muzzles of unloaded and loaded firearms. Mostly it's the handguns that this happens with, very few long arms.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
most of this thread......
beatdeadhorse.gif

SpyderTattoo

Correction: The vast majority of the 2A crowd has their head on straight when it comes to this stuff.

You only encounter a small fraction at the gun show. From my observation, the vast majority know their stuff.

How can you possibly "correct" the fact that I disagree with your statement??? I'm also alot older than you and have experience beyond just working at the gunshow. You origonally said " The 2nd Amendment crowd..." , not "The vast majority of the 2nd Amendment crowd...".

Please don't try to "correct" my opinoin/experience.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Correction: The vast majority of the 2A crowd has their head on straight when it comes to this stuff.

You only encounter a small fraction at the gun show. From my observation, the vast majority know their stuff.

I don't think it's fair to compare a gun show to a 2A rally. Guns shows attract every type of person, from people that have never handled a firearm to seasoned experts. I think the types that show up to a 2A rally are more toward the seasoned gun owner and are less likely to miss-handle a firearm. I said less likely.

Apple and oranges.

sirpuma

How can you possibly "correct" the fact that I disagree with your statement??? I'm also alot older than you and have experience beyond just working at the gunshow. You origonally said " The 2nd Amendment crowd..." , not "The vast majority of the 2nd Amendment crowd...".

Please don't try to "correct" my opinoin/experience.

Don't get your panties in a wad. He was correcting his statement, not your opinion. And I agree with him, the vast majority of the 2A Crowd/Gun owners have their heads on straight. AND he was saying that you only see a small portion of that slice of America at gun shows. Paddy did not say that EVERYONE at a gun show was a representative of the firearms community.

While there are a few people every year that make the news by doing something illegal or stupid with a firearm, percentage wise they are way less than the number of responsible firearm owners across the country that do have their heads on straight.

.45ACPaddy

Don't get your panties in a wad. He was correcting his statement, not your opinion. And I agree with him, the vast majority of the 2A Crowd/Gun owners have their heads on straight. AND he was saying that you only see a small portion of that slice of America at gun shows. Paddy did not say that EVERYONE at a gun show was a representative of the firearms community.

While there are a few people every year that make the news by doing something illegal or stupid with a firearm, percentage wise they are way less than the number of responsible firearm owners across the country that do have their heads on straight.

+100

SpyderTattoo

So now I'm getting ganged up on because I said I disagree??? I stated my OPINION and EXPERIENCES, and now I'm getting beat-up on, and disrespected? This forum is unbelievable. I'm not allowed to disagree, according go my own personal experience. I'm made to feel like my opinion is wrong. The hypocracy here is unbelievable. How many times has it been posted here that we are all so tolerant of other people's opinions? I've read it many, many times.

We all have different life experiences and see the world in our own way. This is why we all have differing opioions about things. I don't usually see the best in people. Maybe that's not the way some of you see things, but we're not all the same person. Maybe it's just too bad for me that I see things like that, but that's me.

Paddy, I appologize if I read it wrong about your correction. I can read it both ways, that you are correcting yourself, not what I said was my opinion.

Sirpuma, it is not your place to tell me "Don't get my panties in a wad..." Also not your place to belittle my experiences, specifically from working at the gunshow, (where I see thousands of people every time, and see many, many people handling weapons unsafely ) and generally in the rest of my life. You're out of line there.

Now, lets all have a great time tomorrow and be safe. See you there. :)