• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WV Stories of OC

Ex Pat

OCed at L. Adkins Oil Co. just north of Craigsville, WV. Nothing said even when I had to ask where the Twizzlers were (kids), and a tank full of conventional gas, i.e. no ethanol.

2ndAmendmentMom

My husband OC's in Charles Town at Walmart, Martins, and Home Depot. Have had a few people look at it but no comments.

One OC trip to Home Depot a guy approached us (husband OCing, me CCing, and my 2 y/o son) and asked about OCing.

I handed him WVCDL business card.

No bad experiences yet and hopefully never!

Shallnotbeinfringed

OC'd this morning to Sheets in ... I guess its Kearneysville. The one on the corner of 9 and Short Rd.

Nothing special to report ... although some rambunctious kids did seem to calm down when they and their mother got in line behind me ...

NoVowels

First Time!

OC'd for the first time today. Went hiking at Beechfork Lake SP (south of Huntington). No weird looks from other campers/hikers. Felt self-conscious anytime I passed someone, but I imagine that just like carrying concealed (which I have for the past year) that feeling fades over time.

Arma1911

OC'd for the first time today. Went hiking at Beechfork Lake SP (south of Huntington). No weird looks from other campers/hikers. Felt self-conscious anytime I passed someone, but I imagine that just like carrying concealed (which I have for the past year) that feeling fades over time.

Congratulations! The first time is always the hardest. I hope you will continue to post your OC experiences. Good luck!

newell711

Was out OC today at the local flea market and did get a few looks. Had one woman tell her husband that I looked threatening. All I was doing was walking with my kids. People really. Other than that no issues.

marlin336

OC'd at various businesses between Barboursville and Hurricane Sunday. A couple stares here and there, but not a word was said till I got to my parents' house for a small father's day get-together. My 20-yr-old liberal college student niece asked if I could put it away while I was there. I asked her if there were any other amendments or sections of the constitution that offended her. She rolled her eyes and that was it. Her mother (my sister) is also liberal and had previously posted some anti 2A garbage on my FB. I was oc'ing that day as a response to that. :)

lil_freak_66

Carried in Winfield for an overnight stay at the holiday inn, also carried at the dollar general, cashier asked me what kind of pistol it was but that was it.

Also carried in and around Fayetteville and Lansing at adventures on the gorge, Walmart, bob Evans and a bunch of trails and such.no issues.

Got pulled over in Lansing on a failure to (completely) stop, he ended up holding my pistol, what struck me as odd was that I offered it to him in holster(it's a paddle) after he asked for it and he wanted just the gun.when I got it back it was still loaded .

But I had a good time, beautiful state. I hope I can get to visit more often.

On a side note, the original plan was to head to Charleston and then to Fairfax va.but because of the anti gun ords they have we changed the plan and went to the gorge

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

It is my understanding that Charleston has grandfathered ords in effect against oc. I did not mean fairfax, I know they are fully preempted with no grandfather clause in va.

Shallnotbeinfringed

OC'd today along with about 30 other people at Hoss' steakhouse in Martinsburg for the WVCDL celebration dinner. Present were Delegates John Overington (R) District 62, Eric Householder (R) District 64, and Senator Craig Blair (R) District 15 and ... my mother. The food was good, the wait staff were fantastic, and ... wait for it ... no one batted an eye.

If you are in Martinsburg, whether passing through or a resident, patronize Hoss' when you can. They have been very supportive, and have proven themselves to be 2A and Open Carry Friendly.

gasmasher

Howdy folks,
I am visiting my parents between Ranson and Harpers Ferry for a week or so. I am from GA and have a GWCL but WV does not honor it. I normally openly carry in GA so I just acted as if it business as usual on the way up here.

All of the family went to the mex restaurant by food lion and then I carried over at Martins with dad for some BBQ supplies. I'm sitting here in his back yard under the stars by the fire pit while the pork shoulder takes on some smoke. WV is almost as nice as GA, not one mosquito has tried to carry me off since I showed up.

I have my .303, Mosin and 10/22 with me in addition to my Springfield xdsc .40. Are there any decent places around Charles Town, Martinsburg, etc to go shoot for an hour or so? My dad and I want to take my brother in law and he will be here just for the weekend.

Shallnotbeinfringed

Gunsmasher,

There are several ranges in the area, although you may have to travel a little.

http://peacemakernational.com/ - Peacemaker is a top notch facility. To shoot all day is $15. They have a pistol bay and a rifle range going out to 300yds. They are very safety conscious and have attentive RSO's. They also have a good selection of ammo on hand.

https://www.facebook.com/TangoDownRange Very nice place, 6 or 8 rifle benches (100yds) and 8 or 10 pistol bays (50 yds). $20 per hour, they have some ammo on hand.

http://www.valleyguns2.com/ (This one will probably be the closest to you) This is a local gun shop that has 4 or 5 pistol lanes in their basement, and a separate underground rifle range. I'm not sure on the fee's, however last time I was there they required you to use their range-safe ammo. I believe it is lead-free. Nice place, tends to be a little busy, but the staff are friendly and knowledgeable.

http://www.fugitivetaskforce.org/ AKA GlockCop. I've never been to this facility, but the people I know who have been there had positive reviews. It seems they have pistol bays only. They are also a local gun shop, so ammo should be available.

I spent a few months in GA. My biggest memory is my 1st Sgt's ability to make it monsoon rain as we were in formation, then making it bone dry 30 minutes later so we could mow his grass and rake his sand pits. WV is better :)

Tackett

First post here thought I'd share.

I OC frequently in charleston and its become more of a hassle than its worth. I mainly OC because the weapons I like are pretty inconvenient to CC and being a 6'6" 260lb Sasquatch doesn't make it easy to wield those compacts and sub compacts.

The amount of dirty democrats around here just makes it such a hassle. It seems like every day I receive a comment from a bystander, or a disarm request from an establishment. So I have to end up, at some point in my day, making another trip back to the car to lock up my weapon. Not to mention having to educate the young men of the LEA when one of them inevitably confronts me. I always keep a copy of the law in my pocket and hand it over and try to be friendly and educate him/her. But the courtesy is very rarely returned.

Then there are the ever annoying "no I'm not a cop" rhetorical conversations. And having a firearm makes me feel like I have to be nice enough to engage these conversations because I don't want to poorly represent the rest of the individuals exercising their right to carry.

Being a very private introverted person with a general dislike/distrust of people makes OC very difficult because for some reason, people treat a law abiding citizen with a gun in plain view like some kind of unicorn.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First post here thought I'd share.

I OC frequently in charleston and its become more of a hassle than its worth. I mainly OC because the weapons I like are pretty inconvenient to CC and being a 6'6" 260lb Sasquatch doesn't make it easy to wield those compacts and sub compacts.

The amount of dirty democrats around here just makes it such a hassle. It seems like every day I receive a comment from a bystander, or a disarm request from an establishment. So I have to end up, at some point in my day, making another trip back to the car to lock up my weapon. Not to mention having to educate the young men of the LEA when one of them inevitably confronts me. I always keep a copy of the law in my pocket and hand it over and try to be friendly and educate him/her. But the courtesy is very rarely returned.

Then there are the ever annoying "no I'm not a cop" rhetorical conversations. And having a firearm makes me feel like I have to be nice enough to engage these conversations because I don't want to poorly represent the rest of the individuals exercising their right to carry.

Being a very private introverted person with a general dislike/distrust of people makes OC very difficult because for some reason, people treat a law abiding citizen with a gun in plain view like some kind of unicorn.
Welcome to OCDO.

Comments from a few uneducated hoplophobia or stage I antis doesn't bother me a bit - actually some of them are quite amusing. 'Course it doesn't hurt to have a thick hide.

Personally, I never make a trip back to the vehicle - if my little friend is not welcome, I'll take my money somewhere else.

Referring to unicorn, I think you mean criminal. A unicorn is a fellow OCer unknown to members of this board. Hence, seeing a unicorn is a positive thing.

Now surely you did not register on OCDO just to tell us you're not going to OC anymore. Recommend that you catch a local meet n' greet, spend some time with other OCers and am sure you get to be more comfortable with it.

Tackett

Welcome to OCDO.

Comments from a few uneducated hoplophobia or stage I antis doesn't bother me a bit - actually some of them are quite amusing. 'Course it doesn't hurt to have a thick hide.

Personally, I never make a trip back to the vehicle - if my little friend is not welcome, I'll take my money somewhere else.

Referring to unicorn, I think you mean criminal. A unicorn is a fellow OCer unknown to members of this board. Hence, seeing a unicorn is a positive thing.

Now surely you did not register on OCDO just to tell us you're not going to OC anymore. Recommend that you catch a local meet n' greet, spend some time with other OCers and am sure you get to be more comfortable with it.

By no means. I just took my weapon off and placed it in the safe, to be exact.

I just wanted to share my experience in the most miserable city in the US. (I didn't make that up, google it.)

I have OCd for a while now, and I have honestly, never seen anyone else doing it around here. I'm not really sure what that means.

I will continue to OC as long as the law allows it, I just really wish i could be invisible in the process being such an introverted guy.

But if that was possible I guess I wouldn't need to have the firearm. Lol

Edit:
I do have one positive story about a LEO that I can share.

I was walking out of a gas station one day to find an older police officer walking around my rig. (It is an offroad geared hummer h2) I thought I was in trouble for something until the officer stuck out his hand for me to shake, introduced himself by first name (not officer so and so) and we proceeded to talk about offroading. In the 30 minute conversation and trading stories, not one time did he even mention my firearm until the very end. He simply said, "and we are both gun enthusiasts!" He then started asking me about my weapon, since its one you don't see every day. He asked me if I would unload it and let him look at it. I did so, handed it over and he and I spent a long while talking about guns.

He is still my friend to this day.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By no means. I just took my weapon off and placed it in the safe, to be exact.

I just wanted to share my experience in the most miserable city in the US. (I didn't make that up, google it.)

I have OCd for a while now, and I have honestly, never seen anyone else doing it around here. I'm not really sure what that means.

I will continue to OC as long as the law allows it, I just really wish i could be invisible in the process being such an introverted guy.

But if that was possible I guess I wouldn't need to have the firearm. Lol

Edit:
I do have one positive story about a LEO that I can share.

I was walking out of a gas station one day to find an older police officer walking around my rig. (It is an offroad geared hummer h2) I thought I was in trouble for something until the officer stuck out his hand for me to shake, introduced himself by first name (not officer so and so) and we proceeded to talk about offroading. In the 30 minute conversation and trading stories, not one time did he even mention my firearm until the very end. He simply said, "and we are both gun enthusiasts!" He then started asking me about my weapon, since its one you don't see every day. He asked me if I would unload it and let him look at it. I did so, handed it over and he and I spent a long while talking about guns.

He is still my friend to this day.

Most Miserable Cities 2012 - Charleston didn' even make the top 20.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45hdlg/20-gary-ind/

Most Miserable Cities 2013 - Same thing, Charleston wasn't on the top 20 list.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45lmhg/20-youngstown-oh/

Good story about the LEO - I like that.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's Forbes survey.

This is the national Gallup well being survey:

http://m.now.msn.com/charleston-west-virginia-named-most-miserable-city-in-america-in-gallup-poll

Charleston #1
Huntington #2

Huntington has been number one every year the survey has been done. Charleston edged them out this year.

The Gallup poll lost all credibility with me when I looked at the sister poll The 10 Happiest And Healthiest Cities In America and found Washington DC as #9.......Really? Blah! D.C. is dirty, crime ridden, corrupt, expensive and generally unfriendly IMHO.
http://www.businessinsider.com/happ...#9-washington-arlington-alexandria-dc-md-va-2