• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD-45 Service Black 4" FS

Mainsail

imported post

Thanks A-Jet! Here's another:

009c5ed3-2f35-4df4-bb1b-2bec91c55e26.jpg

Mainsail

imported post

Slugger wrote:
The more I see the midlength . . . the more I want one instead of a carbine.

Slugger

For those who don’t know, there are two “standard” barrel lengths; the 16” minimum length, and the typical 20”. The real M4 uses a 14½” barrel and the carbine length hand-guard. Because we cannot buy a 14½” barrel off the shelf without some paperwork, we have to settle for the 16” barrel. (Some people cut theirs a few inches short and weld the flash hider on to make the min length, but that’s neither here nor there.) Now, with the 16” barrel you have two options for the hand-guard, a carbine length or the mid-length. The hand-guard length also determines where along the barrel the front sight and gas port will be, some think the gas traveling the extra length improves reliability. If we could have a 14½” barrel the carbine length hand-guard would look right, but with the extra 1½ inches, it looks a little off and the bayonet can’t be mounted. That’s why I went with the mid-length over the far more popular carbine length hand-guard.