• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Years ago... Carry on airplanes......

hermannr

Nope. It's against FAA rules for anyone aboard any flight, private, corporate, or commercial, to carry a firearm unless they're unloaded and secured in baggage not accessible to the passengers, and the ammunition is stored in factory case. I'd cite the chapter and verse, but my FAR/AIM is still packed from the move.

You will have to come up with a reference to back that statement up. My FAR/AIM reference book is old (like me), I know that, but my book does not have any reference to what you say. Also,,,,

I know for a fact, if you go to Alaska, and take a charter a flight to go hunting, and you wish to carry a pistol, (OC or CC) you do not have to pack that pistol up with your rifles. I also know If I want to carry on my own aircraft, there is no-one that will stop me, or even come close to trying to check. My aircraft is my private vehicle, just like an automobile is, unless I am going to Canada, there will be a pistol in it, and not boxed up either.

okboomer

Not that I think any gun laws are wise or justifiable, but forbidding passengers to have guns physically on their body, but allowing the same in a readily-accessible bag, is just asinine.

In most states, having a loaded weapon in a bag that you are carrying is considered "on your person" for the purposes of concealed-carry laws.

It was a different time back then. Some of the younger folks don't realize just HOW MUCH this country has gone downhill in the past 30 years!

Last edited:

celticredneck

Back in the late 60s when I was in the navy, a shipmate of mine purchased a commemorative 30-30 if the Navy exchange. He carried it home with him as carry on luggage on a regularly scheduled airline flight. When he boarded, he asked the stewardess if she wanted to have it locked into the cockpit or anything. Now, this is hearsay, because I wasn't there, but he told me that she asked if he couldn't just put it under his seat or something. The rifle finally wound up being put in the little area where they hung passenger's coats, fully accessible to anyone.

KBCraig

In short, a lot depends on the type of airport into or out of which you're flying, as well as the rules as defined by the FBO, the airport, the city, the county, the state, and the fed. The primary concern is avoiding the "sterile" areas of the airport while carrying.
Most general aviation never encounters any such thing as a "sterile area", even if they're flying out of an airport with security (most have none).