• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You are going to the Ghetto

dkd

imported post

expvideo

If I were to insinuate that all black people were criminals just because enough of them dress like 50 cent, who claims to be a criminal, I would be wrong and I would be profiling. I would be doing it because "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quack likes a duck then I call it a duck".

That statement isn't laughable, it's attempting to justify racism.
i dress like 50 cent sometimes:what::lol:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
Jersey Ron wrote:
Now to what most of "you" don't know or don't want to realize! And this is directly for my Anglo Saxon brothers who feel such animosity towards, well...."them/me". Before I begin with this topic that NOBODY wants to touch, I came across a website called "Amren.com". It's a website where my Anglo Saxon brothers get to complain about "me" and how "I'm" the problem in America and how "I" should be sent back to Africa and how this is an Anglo Saxon country and blah, blah, blah. The topics were very similar in substance to this particular topic being discussed here, now.

First you justify your "credentials" as an educated black man, then you say something to balance the blame, so that you don't sound like you're ranting about white people. Then you make the abovestatement. Let's break it down. "Most of you" is who you are directing the rant at in the blue sentence. In the red sentence, you clarify that this rant is intended for racist whites, suggesting that most people on this board are racist whites. Then, in the green sentence you describe a totally separate hate site. In the orange sentence, you compare us to the people on this hate site, insinuating that we are all white-power racists.

Now tell me how I am misunderstanding this statement, or admit your racism
I do not hate anyone simply because of the color of their skin. I don't really hate a lot of people but yes. There are some white people, some black people, and other people I just cant stand. Its not because of the color of their skin, but rather their culture, how they carry themselves, and how they live. When they way they live begins to have a negative impact on the place that I live and to other that are hard working people who take care of their homes and trying to raise children in a crime free environment, it irritates me.

I am not racist, like I said, when I "hate" someone, it is because of the way they do things, not because of the color of their skin. EXCEPT for blue man group, who ever liked a blue guy anyway!?

I think everyone needs to chill out, I can see this is probably going to cross the line if it hasn't already.

And Ron, you are bringing in arguments from things that happened to you outside of this website, and from none of us, and other websites, where we aren't so implying that I or others are racist, well, ....

Jersey Ron

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
Jersey Ron wrote:
"A chip on my shoulder" and a "Bad attitude" is NOT what anyone who really knows me would say about me. But alas, I can say that we agree to disagree. But please, don't dare try and tell me that when the term ghetto is used we're not talking about blacks/hispanics. One thing I am not is a coward. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quack likes a duck then I call it a duck. If you think I'm a racist, (I can't even type this without laughing), then so be it.

Jersey

Unfortunately, I don't really know you*, so I have to go on what you post... (*though I would be very open to that, to better under stand where you're coming from)

And you are wrong... 'Ghetto' is a reference to a bad neighborhood. What each person considers a bad neighborhood is based on their own life-experiences, and what is fed to them through any media which uses that term. Noone has any pre-conceived notion that race is directly linked to crime (though there are some who do take relevant statistics as a guage of potential, to one extreme or the other... it is universally understood that noone is borna criminal, however).

So, yes, your responses are blatantly racist.
Okay, if that makes you feel better, then fine! But your politically correct answer is full of sh*t. (No offense, as I'm really not taking this personal) I'll telly you why. Blacks make up only 7% of the population but blacks/hispanics have a much, muchhigher rate of living in ghetto's across America PROPORTIONATELY. Therefore when one mentions the ghetto, STATISTICALLY speaking, this would IMPLY blacks/hispanics. No politically correct bullsh*t can hide this fact. But like I said, if you want to call me racist, that's freedom of speech and I'll deal with it. And I'm more than willing to get to know you as doing such could only be for the better. Really, I'm a cool dude! Really I am!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Jersey Ron wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:
Jersey Ron wrote:
"A chip on my shoulder" and a "Bad attitude" is NOT what anyone who really knows me would say about me. But alas, I can say that we agree to disagree. But please, don't dare try and tell me that when the term ghetto is used we're not talking about blacks/hispanics. One thing I am not is a coward. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quack likes a duck then I call it a duck. If you think I'm a racist, (I can't even type this without laughing), then so be it.

Jersey

Unfortunately, I don't really know you*, so I have to go on what you post... (*though I would be very open to that, to better under stand where you're coming from)

And you are wrong... 'Ghetto' is a reference to a bad neighborhood. What each person considers a bad neighborhood is based on their own life-experiences, and what is fed to them through any media which uses that term. Noone has any pre-conceived notion that race is directly linked to crime (though there are some who do take relevant statistics as a guage of potential, to one extreme or the other... it is universally understood that noone is borna criminal, however).

So, yes, your responses are blatantly racist.
Okay, if that makes you feel better, then fine! But your politically correct answer is full of sh*t. (No offense, as I'm really not taking this personal) I'll telly you why. Blacks make up only 7% of the population but blacks/hispanics have a much, muchhigher rate of living in ghetto's across America PROPORTIONATELY. Therefore when one mentions the ghetto, STATISTICALLY speaking, this would IMPLY blacks/hispanics. No politically correct bullsh*t can hide this fact. But like I said, if you want to call me racist, that's freedom of speech and I'll deal with it. And I'm more than willing to get to know you as doing such could only be for the better. Really, I'm a cool dude! Really I am!
The last US census said 12.8 percent of the US was black.

Link : http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Jersey Ron

imported post

openryan wrote:
expvideo wrote:
Jersey Ron wrote:
Now to what most of "you" don't know or don't want to realize! And this is directly for my Anglo Saxon brothers who feel such animosity towards, well...."them/me". Before I begin with this topic that NOBODY wants to touch, I came across a website called "Amren.com". It's a website where my Anglo Saxon brothers get to complain about "me" and how "I'm" the problem in America and how "I" should be sent back to Africa and how this is an Anglo Saxon country and blah, blah, blah. The topics were very similar in substance to this particular topic being discussed here, now.

First you justify your "credentials" as an educated black man, then you say something to balance the blame, so that you don't sound like you're ranting about white people. Then you make the abovestatement. Let's break it down. "Most of you" is who you are directing the rant at in the blue sentence. In the red sentence, you clarify that this rant is intended for racist whites, suggesting that most people on this board are racist whites. Then, in the green sentence you describe a totally separate hate site. In the orange sentence, you compare us to the people on this hate site, insinuating that we are all white-power racists.

Now tell me how I am misunderstanding this statement, or admit your racism
I do not hate anyone simply because of the color of their skin. I don't really hate a lot of people but yes. There are some white people, some black people, and other people I just cant stand. Its not because of the color of their skin, but rather their culture, how they carry themselves, and how they live. When they way they live begins to have a negative impact on the place that I live and to other that are hard working people who take care of their homes and trying to raise children in a crime free environment, it irritates me.

I am not racist, like I said, when I "hate" someone, it is because of the way they do things, not because of the color of their skin. EXCEPT for blue man group, who ever liked a blue guy anyway!?

I think everyone needs to chill out, I can see this is probably going to cross the line if it hasn't already.

And Ron, you are bringing in arguments from things that happened to you outside of this website, and from none of us, and other websites, where we aren't so implying that I or others are racist, well, ....

OpenRyan, I'm NOT bringing in arguments from other websites. I only used it as a reference because some of the things said here about this PARTICULAR post bordered the same beliefs as this website. And for the record, I can't recall hating ANY white person in my life. However, I do HATE the 2 guys that carjacked me, my wife and my 2 year old son. They were black. I do HATE the guy that was trying to shoot someone standing next to me and hit me in the shoulder. He was Hispanic. I do HATE the woman who was threatening a 4 year old with a knife and slashed my arm when I interevened. She was black. I do have more but I think you get my point.

Jersey

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Jersey Ron wrote:
OpenRyan, I'm NOT bringing in arguments from other websites. I only used it as a reference because some of the things said here about this PARTICULAR post bordered the same beliefs as this website. And for the record, I can't recall hating ANY white person in my life. However, I do HATE the 2 guys that carjacked me, my wife and my 2 year old son. They were black. I do HATE the guy that was trying to shoot someone standing next to me and hit me in the shoulder. He was Hispanic. I do HATE the woman who was threatening a 4 year old with a knife and slashed my arm when I interevened. She was black. I do have more but I think you get my point.

Jersey

I do understand what you are saying, I can also understand why you would say it, and I respect your opinion. However, I just don't agree with it.

Marco

imported post

smile_zipit.gif

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Lets say you are going to the ghetto, or bad part of town, maybe to pay a utility bill or something, whatever.
Let's get back on topic.
Why knowingly go into a neighborhood with a high crime rateif you don't have to:question:
Most all bills can be paid for via snail mail, online or remote location ie...grocery stores.

If your vehicle breaks down you won't have the luxury of fanatsy items(this isn't Dome people).

Would you feel comfortable with what you normally carry or less if you had to leave your firearm at home:question:
Your computer is broken, grocery store is closed. Only the fantasy gun store is open.

Its all hypothetical, it was supposed to be fun!

In the real life version, the only thing I would do different if truly going to a bad area would be carry an extra mag possibly, and definitely a bottle of OC spray.

expvideo

imported post

Jersey Ron wrote:

I see you're kind enough to answer everyone's posts but mine. I'll assume that is because you can't answer my posts.

Now YOU are the only one saying anything about black people making up the ghetto. And you use statistics to prove that you are right and we are racist for thinking what you are flat out saying. It's not prejudice of you to assume that we are thinking that, and it's not wrong of you to come out and say it, just for us to think it, because we are white. Is that the point you are trying to make?

BTW, "statistically speaking" black people are criminals. Perhaps statistics and profilingaren't the best way for us to judge one another?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
BTW, "statistically speaking" black people are criminals.

:question::question::question::question::question::question:

Huh?

I suggest you clarify that statement. It is quite a racist thing to say...

Maybe you just misspoke.

imperialism2024

imported post

I guess LW's Internet connection broke today?

No matter what race is involved, poor, crime-ridden areas of cities are... poor and crime-ridden. Therefore one stands a better chance of getting into a conflict in those areas, especially is one does not blend in with the local culture. Sure, no one should go around looking for fights, but I believe the OP is implying that there is some need to go into the "ghetto" that cannot be avoided.

It really comes down to risk assessment. The handgun is moreso convenient than effective for self-defense. Basically, there are much better weapons out there, but they're annoying to have to lug around... such as a shotgun. However, given a situation that is more dangerous for whatever the reason, the selection of a more-effective weapon over a more-convenient weapon is prudent.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Ahhh, he'll be along in a while. He's probablyat workor something.

He'll be along. And I bet he'll bring his tools of order:

thunderbird-delete.gif

lock.jpg

I wonder where BobCav is, though. He might do something.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Ahhh, he'll be along in a while. He's probablyat workor something.

He'll be along. And I bet he'll bring his tools of order:

thunderbird-delete.gif

lock.jpg

I wonder where BobCav is, though. He might do something.
Thats hillarious.

He is home I thought, isn't that where he achieves financial freedom from?

expvideo

imported post

HankT wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Huh?

Maybe you just misspoke.

Well maybe you should read the sentence that follows that one (you know, the one where I DID clarify that statement) instead of picking through my paragraph and quoting out of context.. The sentence where I explain that statistics don't justify profiling. I was pointing out that saying something is statistically one way doesn't make it true about everyone.

Statistics would point to black people as more likely to be criminals than white people, but that does not make it a fact, and it does not make it ok to profile black people. I was making a point about the racism of using statistics to justify your prejudices against racial groups. I was pointing out the irrationality, and the statement was made to make a point about statistics. I think quoting it out of context to try and make me look bad was uncalled for, but I hope that I may have cleared up any genuine confusion, if that isactually how you took it.

Since it's you, Hank, I honestly feel that quoting me out of context, bolding my statement, and following it up with eye-catching emoticons was just instigating and just fanning the flames a little bit. I highly doubt it was a misunderstanding.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
HankT wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Huh?

Maybe you just misspoke.

Well maybe you should read the sentence that follows that one (you know, the one where I DID clarify that statement) instead of picking through my paragraph and quoting out of context.. The sentence where I explain that statistics don't justify profiling. I was pointing out that saying something is statistically one way doesn't make it true about everyone.

Statistics would point to black people as more likely to be criminals than white people, but that does not make it a fact, and it does not make it ok to profile black people. I was making a point about the racism of using statistics to justify your prejudices against racial groups. I was pointing out the irrationality, and the statement was made to make a point about statistics. I think quoting it out of context to try and make me look bad was uncalled for, but I hope that I may have cleared up any genuine confusion, if that isactually how you took it.

This:

expvideo wrote:
is a completely fallacious statement.

And it is different, much different from this:

expvideo wrote:
Statistics would point to black people as more likely to be criminals than white people,....
Your first statement is utterly wrong. The second is simply woefully uncognizant of how to express a declarative statement about some statistical findings.

The first statement serves racist purposes. Thesecond is just naive use of inferential statistics.

expvideo

imported post

HankT wrote:
expvideo wrote:
HankT wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Huh?

Maybe you just misspoke.

This:

expvideo wrote:

expvideo wrote:
Statistics would point to black people as more likely to be criminals than white people,....
Your first statement is utterly wrong. The second is simply woefully uncognizant of how to express a declarative statement about some statistical findings.

The first statement serves racist purposes. Thesecond is just naive use of inferential statistics.

No, the first statement was made to point out that statistics, correct or incorrect, do not justify prejudice against a whole race of people.

You're a troll. Go away, and stop quoting me out of context.

The whole quote reads:

BTW, "statistically speaking" black people are criminals. Perhaps statistics and profilingaren't the best way for us to judge one another?

expvideo

imported post

I'm sure your right, Hank, I could only be admitting my closet racism on a thread where I am calling a black man out on being racist. It seemed like the most logical place to spew random racism. You didn't take the quote out of context or anything; it could only mean one thing, no matter how contradictory that point might have been to the rest of my post.

You need to stop being such a troll, and if you don't have anything to contribute to a discussion, do us all a favor and leave.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
HankT wrote:
expvideo wrote:
HankT wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Huh?

Maybe you just misspoke.

This:

expvideo wrote:

expvideo wrote:

No, the first statement was made to point out that statistics, correct or incorrect, do not justify prejudice against a whole race of people.

You're a troll. Go away, and stop quoting me out of context.

The whole quote reads:

Earlier today you said to someone:

expvideo wrote:
You're a racist, and you need help. Either you don't understand history, or you just pick and choose what serves you best.

Now, I say to you:

You're a racist, and you need help. Either you don't understand statistics, or you just pick and choose what serves you best.

Have a nice day.