• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After how many drinks is carrying a no-no?

OC for ME

Well.....I subscribe to the 12 pack a day regime to build up my resistance and hone my reflexes. That way I'll be at the top of my game after dropping frosty friendlies.

My limit equals what ever happens to equal the amount of folding money in me pocket, hot wings and fried cheese included.

All you "zero" folks are certainly saving a butt load of money being a self imposed dry household.....good for you, by the way.

Me, I don't change my habits or my routine.....except for that driving thing. Though, the cops around here seem to not believe that I become a better driver after several belts.....under my belt.

SVG: Maybe they shouldn't drink when they post either then?

We might abuse our free speech rights.......
I don't care who you are.....that was down right high-larry-ious!!!

Jeff Hayes

Weight is also a factor, lets use me and Greenisfaster I weigh 260 lbs and one beer is not even going to register much of a BAC while green who weighs a lot less is going to have a lot higher BAC than I will. Also remember if you are involved in in a shooting and have only had a single drink by the time you get down to the police station to do the Breathalyzer you will be clean or almost clean. If you have had 5+ drinks in a very short time you will still show a significant BAC. If this ever happens to you the longer it takes to get to the station the better. I would refuse a field Breathalyzer test under those circumstances and defiantly would not be doing any roadside tricks for the nice officer.

Having owned a breathalyzer I have to concur with Llammo when he said "anyone who says they had 2 beers and then blows a 0.16 or 0.17 is lying through their teeth" and not by a drink or two either.

Fuller Malarkey

SNIP / How can we expect the public to think about guns as a normal everyday part of life when we ourselves don't treat guns as a normal everyday part of life?

Displaying a firearm in public while under the influence of alcohol will not improve the image, I assure you.

And once alcohol passes the lips, one IS under the influence, to an unpredictable degree, due to at least a half dozen factors.

If I observed someone consuming alcohol and carrying a weapon, I would go on high alert and probably vacate the area as quickly as possible. I may be moved to appeal to all others in the area to do the same. Firearms and diminished capacity are not things I like to be exposed to when combined.

In promoting open carry to an apprehensive general public, there are dumber things one could do than be observed drinking and carrying a weapon. Those dumber things would make for a very short list.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Displaying a firearm in public while under the influence of alcohol will not improve the image, I assure you.

I know a lot of you on this forum aren't going to like this but here goes....

I do not, ever manipulate my behavior based on public image. I dress for comfort and personality. I treat people with respect because I was taught it was the right thing and because this behavior has been re-enforced with a life time of pleasant interactions.

Sometimes I don't shave.
Sometimes I wear shorts and white socks with Homer Simpson flip flops.
Sometimes I wear Tool or Dethklok t shirts.
Sometimes I wear my hat backwards.
Sometimes I have a beer in public while OCing.

I cannot/will not cater to public image.

ARADCOM

Normal?

I actually never gave to much thought to OC/having a drink. I OC pretty much all the time and usually have a beer or wine if I'm out to dinner and they're both part of my normal routine.

On a side note, the Kulshan Brewery on James Street has some excellent beers and the meal we had (ribs) from the BBQ food truck was excellent and I thought really a good deal for $8.25. I had 2 beers with the meal and had some pretty good conversation with people sitting at the picnic tables outside. Only comment I had was "Is that a Glock?" No, not even close (Taurus Slim 740 - .40 CAL), but it was a nice talk after that.

sudden valley gunner

I actually never gave to much thought to OC/having a drink. I OC pretty much all the time and usually have a beer or wine if I'm out to dinner and they're both part of my normal routine.

On a side note, the Kulshan Brewery on James Street has some excellent beers and the meal we had (ribs) from the BBQ food truck was excellent and I thought really a good deal for $8.25. I had 2 beers with the meal and had some pretty good conversation with people sitting at the picnic tables outside. Only comment I had was "Is that a Glock?" No, not even close (Taurus Slim 740 - .40 CAL), but it was a nice talk after that.

When I went there they had no IPA so I left, Maybe we can have a midweek meet there?

sudden valley gunner

I know a lot of you on this forum aren't going to like this but here goes....

I do not, ever manipulate my behavior based on public image. I dress for comfort and personality. I treat people with respect because I was taught it was the right thing and because this behavior has been re-enforced with a life time of pleasant interactions.

Sometimes I don't shave.
Sometimes I wear shorts and white socks with Homer Simpson flip flops.
Sometimes I wear Tool or Dethklok t shirts.
Sometimes I wear my hat backwards.
Sometimes I have a beer in public while OCing.

I cannot/will not cater to public image.

Good post except I wear Slippahs flip flops are for haole's......:cool:, and I don't wear socks with them.

Tool....is awesome live! Maynard can pull your mind out through your eye socket with his voice.

twoskinsonemanns

Good post except I wear Slippahs flip flops are for haole's......:cool:, and I don't wear socks with them.

Tool....is awesome live! Maynard can pull your mind out through your eye socket with his voice.

Oh man that is sweet! An OCer that digs Tool!? Are you seeing anyone? :lol:

Yeah the socks with homer flip-flops (happens to be exactly what I'm wearing now) gets me laughed at.

OC for ME

<snip> If I observed someone consuming alcohol and carrying a weapon, I would go on high alert and probably vacate the area as quickly as possible. I may be moved to appeal to all others in the area to do the same. Firearms and diminished capacity are not things I like to be exposed to when combined.

In promoting open carry to an apprehensive general public, there are dumber things one could do than be observed drinking and carrying a weapon. Those dumber things would make for a very short list.
....Boo!....

Now, let us change a thing or two.
If I observed someone carrying a weapon, I would go on high alert and probably vacate the area as quickly as possible. I may be moved to appeal to all others in the area to do the same. I'd likely call 911. Firearms are not things I like to be exposed to.
Just sayin.....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

And once alcohol passes the lips, one IS under the influence, to an unpredictable degree, due to at least a half dozen factors.

If I observed someone consuming alcohol and carrying a weapon, I would go on high alert and probably vacate the area as quickly as possible. I may be moved to appeal to all others in the area to do the same. Firearms and diminished capacity are not things I like to be exposed to when combined.

Are you a neurological doctor? Can you justify your statement that once alcohol (less than 1 oz) passes the lips one IS under the influence?

If you are not a neurological doctor, perhaps your statement is just full of malarkey?

sudden valley gunner

Oh man that is sweet! An OCer that digs Tool!? Are you seeing anyone? :lol:

Yeah the socks with homer flip-flops (happens to be exactly what I'm wearing now) gets me laughed at.

Thank you, I am seeing some one. I play Sober (what I can remember of it) on the guitar every once in awhile.....fitting title of a song for this thread.....:lol:

Fuller Malarkey

HE'S GOTTA GUN! HE'S GOTTA GUN! EVERYBODY RUN! Don't forget to call 911 as you head out the door....

Just curious... does the person having the beer with dinner in the restaurant who is carrying concealed frighten you as much? Ahhhh, yes.... the out of sight out of mind mentality at it's finest, eh?

No, because I don't know what I don't know. I can't take action on something I have no awareness of.

twoskinsonemanns

Your appreciation seems to be short lived. What's changed?

Sorry, I do appreciate your personal choice to not be armed and drink, but your vacate the area and advise others to vacate if you see an OCer having a drink is IMHO ridiculous. About as ridiculous as the idiot who said she should be justified (under stand your ground laws) to kill someone OCing because she feel threatened by their presence.

Fuller Malarkey

Sorry, I do appreciate your personal choice to not be armed and drink, but your vacate the area and advise others to vacate if you see an OCer having a drink is IMHO ridiculous. About as ridiculous as the idiot who said she should be justified (under stand your ground laws) to kill someone OCing because she feel threatened by their presence.

Not. Even. Close. The presence of an Open Carrier creates no sense of alarm in me. The awareness of someone carrying a weapon while under the influence of a judgement altering chemical makes me very uncomfortable, and if I deem it safer to leave, I will do so. No drama, no deep rooted psychological phobias concerning firearms. Obsession to possess, maybe...irrational fears, hardly.

I have no problem with you offering contrary information or even opinions. I do, however, take issue with you taking my posts out of context. There is no question that my concerns are directed at open carry in a diminished capacity. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Fuller Malarkey

Nope. I had to go back and look who said it:

It's funny the reaction to alcohol. I'm not directing this to anyone specifically but here in America, the media pulls the string in our back and we a sing their tune.

How many of you guys that are of the Zero crowd also disarm if you don't get a good nights sleep?
Not getting proper rest has been shown to be as bad or worse than having the legal limit of alcohol in the system.

This may be true. Please supply a control study, case study, professional opinion, something to support this statement?

Something like this:

Impairment in performance begins at below 0.02% BAC (1 to 1-1/2 drinks can result in this level).
{NIAAA - Alcohol Problems and Aging: 1998 U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.

bac_male3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

twoskinsonemanns

I do, however, take issue with you taking my posts out of context.

Alright sir. I'm not trying to take anything out of context. The above is the exact wording. So without taking anything out of context I want to be clear, IMHO going on "high alert", and "vacating the area as quickly as possible", and "appealing to others to do the same" simply because you saw someone drinking and carry a weapon is a hysterical over reaction and asinine.