• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin open carry meet up, August 29th at Starbucks in Delevan

M

McX

post the pics! it didn't realy happen unless we got pics. besides the tv stuff i mean.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Not bashing ICarry. Just pointing out that what happened in Sussex, and especially what happened in Delavan was hurtful to the cause. It didn't have to be.

We had a grass roots open-carry event in Delavan to advance the cause. Many attended, the cause was advanced in that regard.

The comments and information given to the press was not representative of the event. Unfortunately, 75 people came, another hundred of locals probably drove by and observed, but thousands will read the paper and think it was not the grass roots event that it really was because an Illinois group drove up from Rockford and made sure they got their promotion in. I believe that hurt the cause of open-carry in Wisconsin.

Spartacus

Banned
I thought it was in poor taste myself.

I don't think I'm going to quite so polite and nice to SAK the next time we meet. I don't mind him attending our events, but pimping his ride at our expense is irksome.

J.Gleason

Banned
Not bashing ICarry. Just pointing out that what happened in Sussex, and especially what happened in Delavan was hurtful to the cause. It didn't have to be.

We had a grass roots open-carry event in Delavan to advance the cause. Many attended, the cause was advanced in that regard.

The comments and information given to the press was not representative of the event. Unfortunately, 75 people came, another hundred of locals probably drove by and observed, but thousands will read the paper and think it was not the grass roots event that it really was because an Illinois group drove up from Rockford and made sure they got their promotion in. I believe that hurt the cause of open-carry in Wisconsin.

I know and I agree, the Rule #12 thing was a joke
I think Shaun should make his intentions known to the event organizers before attending as an ICarry representative. I think that is a fair request.
I don't have an issue with out of state people attending as this only shows the general public that no matter where you are from, if you are law abiding there are no worries.

Last edited:
M

McX

Everybody who went, the event is over, but highlights are still present within us, everybody jump on and give yours: sparticuses gun belt. Old School doing the book out of there. i'll let him expand on it, but right on old school, book in a manner i have never tried. Historic to see it. no threat to me!

Spartacus

Banned
I know and I agree, the Rule #12 thing was a joke

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

I think Shaun should make his intentions known to the event organizers before attending as an ICarry representative.

SAK should know better and the next time I see him we will come to an understanding.

He wanted to set up a table at the La Crosse event but we declined, now he's not even asking.

Last edited:
M

McX

the guy in the suit? i hope he comes again, it's always nice to shake hands with God' rep. on earth. Clergy Carry. Progressive idea.

added on edit; kudo's should go out to the cops, they got the flyer, and did their job, then let us be. think about it, 70common citizens assemble, kinda requires cops to be around. they let us be, not out of fear, cause what they going to come talk with us about? how bad it sucks? they know that. but they gave us a smidge of privacy because of who and what we are. a BIG crack in the wall to me.

Last edited:
M

McX

i can see the vision, but wonder what would be on their faces right now?

Spartacus

Banned
Spartacus why don't you shut the hell up! you disrupt every thread you go into. I had no communication with you at all and you start your crap with me again. My joke about rule 12 was posted because Shaun had done this once before and it was discussed then. Get over yourself.

And who are you to think that you can confront anyone at any event? Now your the WCI enforcer? I am beginning to see where this is going, for you anyways. Maybe you would want to talk to the WCI board before you go starting any of your crap at an event. I am sure the media would have a field day with that if they got a hold of it. It is people like you who stop many of us from coming to these events. We don't want the general public to get the idea that our egos are as big as yours.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't said anything in this forum that I wouldn't say to your face. I just don't think it would help the cause any and besides it seems as though you just don't get it anyway. Your just a little part in a big machine, just like the rest of us. Your worth is no greater then anyone else's. Stop trying to be the whole feckin show.

Yah but why would you cry to John to get my post deleted and then quote it yourself? Thats what I would like to know.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Yah but why would you cry to John to get my post deleted

Way to go off on someone without knowing the facts, just like when you accused The Don of being Doug.

I reported the post to John. If I see personal attacks I will report them. Obviously John agreed with me.

Just so you don't think I'm picking on you, I've reported Gleason in the past as well. I don't like being a narc but if people are going to sabotage our mission, they need to be disciplined.

SAK

I came there with my father, he's the one on the left side of me in the picture. Other ICarry members came without being asked to - they just enjoy open carry and are getting into it. ICarry was formed in 2005 for Illinois and in fall of '09 we took on Wisconsin as well, it only making sense to help soften the territory in both states so that concealed carry laws can get passed. We're for both forms of carry - and we follow Wisconsin Carry's stance that is should be a choice made by the responsible citizen who's carrying based on their needs.

I think the more groups we have showing support for the same thing the better.

The three of us had planned more than a week ago to go to Lake Geneva for the day, then I think it was Joe who saw this event was going on nearby so we decided to head over there first. I go up to Lake Geneva frequently because my family has property there on the lake. Joe's been there too, and we've been itching to OC in the town around the stores and everything. I even spoke to officers there one night while not OCing and the officer stated that they have a policy to report it, check it out, but not to do anything about it and if (and only if) there is a problem to call a supervisor. The officers were very supportive of it - I thought that was very cool and I was glad I talked to them and gave them our cards.

I have to say I'm not too interested in politics. I'm here to advance the causes, and I think we've done a great deal for that and I hope we can do a great deal more. I had no idea who the organizer of the event even was. I don't hang out in this forum much because of all the keyboard commandos. I'm not interested in online debates that only serve to distract.

Anyway, if an event is officially organized by an organization, I would be happy to talk with them first about coming. But if an event is simply organized at a public place, by a private citizen, and open to the public...why wouldn't I come?

To spell out what I'm doing - I'm trying to usher the good example of Wisconsin gun owners down to Illinois a bit. I'm trying to show people in Illinois that it is a good thing to exercise rights, a good thing to be public and "open" about it, a good thing to practice what you preach, and a good thing to do more than just talk about carrying guns. It's working!!! I'm so happy this all is going on in Wisconsin, because it's really, really, really helping both states. I've also wanted to bring some support to Wisconsin from Illinois, and get support to Illinois from Wisconsin. So far, it's going very well.

Anyone paying attention would have seen that I didn't seek out the media. A guy came up and talked to me and I didn't even realize he was media at first until he started taking notes. Maybe they liked the right white and blue of our logo, I don't know. I certainly didn't ask to be interviewed or photoed or anything.

When I left the event, someone kept thanking me for coming. No one ever said anything to me in person or expressed any kind of discontent. So it's kinda funny that this came out after the news article...

My phone number is 815-986-7974 if anyone wants to talk to me. Venting on here about disappointments won't be taken too seriously. When people put their time and money into promoting right to carry, it doesn't do well to complain and criticize. Would you honestly rather not have those people helping?

I've seen this for years, and I've even participated in it way too many times than I'd like to admit: arguing about which is the most effective way to advance something. Unfortunately, it detracts from our shared goal, drains positive energy, and doesn't improve anything. If someone says, "hey, I want to create some Wisconsin Open Carry kazoos to advance the cause" you can certainly say "I think whistles would be better than kazoos" and the person could reply, "well, I really want to do kazoos and I think they are better"

At this point you can decide if you want to waste time arguing which is better - kazoos or whistles - or you can simply offer your moral and perhaps even physical support. "Hey, I think that's a great idea - I hope that your kazoos turn out really well" or you can say "That sounds great, how can I help?"

I have people come to me all the time with ideas that I think to myself, "man, that's a waste of time/energy." "I wish this person would do this instead..." Sometimes I make suggestions to them, but in the end I try to help whenever I can. That way the energy is preserved, and a lot of times I find I'm very glad of that, because pleasant surprises can be astonishing.

Enough of that though, I had a wonderful time at the event. My dad did too - now he wants to get a holster so he can carry at one. I talked to a number of people who were totally new to open carry - that was very exciting. It's good to see old faces, and new ones too! These informal get togethers are a good thing. Let's keep them focused on open carry because it's current law and how open vs. concealed should be a choice made by the person carrying based on what suits their needs the most. I think the video interview Nik and I did turned out very well.

Thanks to everyone who came, everyone who helped promote it, and to the management of Starbucks who were very supportive and accommodating.