• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Dinner?

eye95

May I suggest that folks read the whole thread. Watch what happens in the posts numbered in the 70's and a little higher. It is clear when and how this effort was usurped by one poster with the support of another.

All the discussion up to that point might as well have never taken place. The OP was cast aside without a thought as to whether he would want a hand in leading the effort that was his idea.

Disgraceful.

The small acts of tyranny are the ones we should fear most.

On edit: I notice that the posts in which I raise the objection to the anointed "leader" of the effort have disappeared. Is someone trying to squelch dissent? Shameful.

So, I will renew my objection. This poster said he would accept the position if there were no objection. Well, I object.

.........--Moderator Note--
.......Objection is duly noted.
Repetitious postings are not condoned.

Considering that previous objections have been deleted and summarily ignored, reposting something like the objection (which violates no stated rule) is reasonable. Furthermore, if the date is discussed, I will reasonably continue to add my opinion. If you choose to censor that opinion, feel free, that is your [strike]right[/strike] authority. I cannot stop you. I will remain reasoned (and within the stated rules) in my future posts. You may react how you will. We are each responsible for the consequences of the choices we make--and I have no problem with any consequence I suffer for voicing my principled opinion.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
If the date sticks I will still coordinate and notify in the Boise and surrounding area.

Can I put you down for that?

It may be to early to talk specifics, but, are we thinking large groups at one location or many diners at multiple random locations? Picinic things? ("Eh, Boo Boo")

I'd like to see a larger, single gathering per major metropolitan area, rather than groups of twos or threes spread out here and there. Seven people getting together isn't newsworthy for local broadcasters. Fifty, however, is, and if all major metropolitan areas are doing the same thing on the same date, it'll make the national news (and without having to compete against tax day!).

Are we making this a Day affair or sticking with the "Dinner" concept? Would we be going outside of the concept if we were to organize, locally, starting the day with coffee at Starbucks, time at the range, shopping in the afternoon and concluding with dinner or picinic at a prearranged or spur of the moment location?

Good ideas, carracer! Who knows? Perhaps we'll holds some regional competitions... If we can generate enough funds on shirt sales, we might plow that back into everyone's efforts by rewarding the most successful OC event with a voucher good at a well-known US-wide gun store. Just an idea at this point, mind you, but I think it's a good one.

One consideration, though: For the official event, you'll probably want to limit that to one location, as herding cats is almost as difficult as herding a bunch of shoppers. Nothing wrong with having a couple (I'd limit it to two, but not a hard and fast rule) side events throughout the day.

eye95

Being one of those voted I also was surprised to see the date chosen. I looked to see where it was discussed and agreed upon to no avail. I think a date other than "May 1st" would be better, but, for reasons other than some of the other political reasons. Just that it will take away from the event and make it a back burner affair that won't get noticed. If we want to make a political statement what better date than April 15th? It's even a friday when most (?) people go out for dinner anyway. If the date sticks I will still coordinate and notify in the Boise and surrounding area.

This portion of your post was flatly ignored, so I thought I'd quote it and see if it will yet draw a response.

eye95

Now that it is May 2nd, and since the event has been overcome by a considerable volume of inaction (four and one-half months), maybe it is time to revive the idea in a more grassroots way, one in which we, the membership, select a coordinator and we, the membership, choose the major details (name, date, purpose, etc).

My initial instinct would be to propose that the person who originally proffered the idea, snakemathis, act as coordinator, if he is willing to commit to it.

sudden valley gunner

Now that it is May 2nd, and since the event has been overcome by a considerable volume of inaction (four and one-half months), maybe it is time to revive the idea in a more grassroots way, one in which we, the membership, select a coordinator and we, the membership, choose the major details (name, date, purpose, etc).

My initial instinct would be to propose that the person who originally proffered the idea, snakemathis, act as coordinator, if he is willing to commit to it.

I was just thinking about this the other day, I am interested and Washington OC is always willing to get together.

eye95

In conjunction with another groups discovery of OC and their declaration of June 5 as an "Open Carry Day," I am trying to organize this in Alabama as a State-Wide Open Carry Dinner. Hopefully we will have a half-a-dozen or so different locations.

If other States wish to glom on, go for it! We can make this Alabama, a few States, or national. But, let's do it right: bottom-up!

VW_Factor

In conjunction with another groups discovery of OC and their declaration of June 5 as an "Open Carry Day," I am trying to organize this in Alabama as a State-Wide Open Carry Dinner. Hopefully we will have a half-a-dozen or so different locations.

If other States wish to glom on, go for it! We can make this Alabama, a few States, or national. But, let's do it right: bottom-up!

June 5th is Open Carry Day. I'll go along with that. :cool:

VW_Factor

Set up a dinner in Woodburn, Oregon!

The Oregon section here is quiet.. We've been able to organize a single meet in Salem @ the Starbucks there. Thus far I have been unable to garner interest for anything beyond that.

In the spirit however, I'll certainly take the wife out for a nice dinner somewhere (no nice places really here in Woodburn) for June 5th.

eye95

Hey, it counts.

Have the dinner, and, no matter how many join you, let's hear about it on the 6th.

So far, we have two dinners set:

Montgomery, AL and
somewhere in the approximate vicinity of Woodburn, OR.

This effort is stretching across the nation! ;)

VW_Factor

Hey, it counts.

Have the dinner, and, no matter how many join you, let's hear about it on the 6th.

So far, we have two dinners set:

Montgomery, AL and
somewhere in the approximate vicinity of Woodburn, OR.

This effort is stretching across the nation! ;)

I think that evening my wife and I will be around in PDX somewhere (Portland).

since9

Campaign Veteran
On May 1 I OC'd with my son at IHOP for breakfast before taking him back to the airport. He had a late Spring break this year. But I OC'd to dinner with a few friends.

Last edited: