• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

brookfield wi mass shooting

M

McX

another day, another shooting. yawn, scritch scratch. i suspect as i once said to a liberal some years ago; the more you people crush people down into little cans, the more these cans are going to explode. not saying what happened was good or right, just saying another can meant to hold a pint, was maybe stuffed with a gallon and exploded. maybe someone should look at the factors and causes of people being crushed into little cans. but then again i know nothing. nothing but cheeseburgers anyway. add to my no go list: Salons.

pkbites

From the Milwaukee Journal:

Azana Salon banned concealed-carry weapons
The Brookfield salon that was the scene of a mass shooting on Sunday does not allow patrons to carry concealed weapons.

A sign on the door of the Azana Salon & Spa in Brookfield bans those entering from carrying concealed weapons. That means customers or employees who were following the law would be barred from having weapons. Radcliffe Haughton entered the salon Sunday and killed his wife and two other women and shot four others before killing himself.

Sunday's shooting already has sparked discussion on social media about Wisconsin's concealed-carry law, which allows residents with permits to carry hidden weapons, but allows private businesses to ban them. Gov. Scott Walker signed the concealed-carry measure last year. Sunday's was the second mass shooting in Wisconsin since the concealed-carry law went into effect.

The store was posted! Bring on the law suits!

GodandGunsCowboy

Putting on my photo analysis hat....

If that was from the east side...and I'm increasingly sure it is...the shadows are too low-angle for this time of year. I'd expect that shot to have been taken much closer to christmas time when the sun is lower in the sky....and earlier in the morning than this event took place, judging from the shadow of the "peak" of the roof.

Further evidence of that - there's snow on the building.

I don't think that pic is from today.

However, there was no snow here until feb-march this year, I could be a little off on the time, but we didn't have snow for Christmas. Would it be from last year?

Teej

However, there was no snow here until feb-march this year, I could be a little off on the time, but we didn't have snow for Christmas. Would it be from last year?

I think it was from _at least_ last year...but really it could've been anytime from ~ 2000 through 2011. Pretty sure it wasn't this year, due to lack of weapons signage. I'm guessing they posted soon after last year's law change.

Law abider

Gee I need a security detail just to visit Miluwakee. That's too expensive. I would love to come and check out the iconic businesses like Utzingers etc... but will mail order the stuff from them. I was looking forward next summer to take a tour of that place. What a tragedy.

One observation: He was ordered to surrender his guns. Did he do so? If not , they should have gone to his place and taken them. If he did, guns are avaliable illegally too, so he may have done that. How to prevent that is the big problem. Lastly, a woman came screaming out into the street pounding on cars. The killer came out. If he had persued her, do you think there was a motorist with a CCL to take care of that killer?? Self defence of a third person is legal.

A person is privileged to defend a third person from real or apparent unlawful interference by another under the same conditions and by the same means as those
under and by which the person is privileged to defend himself or herself from real or apparent unlawful interference, provided that the person
reasonably believes that the facts are such that the third person would be privileged to act in self-defense and that the person's intervention is necessary
for the protection of the third person.

Teej

Now being reported that he bought a .40 on Saturday in a "private transaction".

Here comes the "gun show loophole" cries....

E6chevron

Watched the interview on TV of two men, returning from duck hunting (they still had the camouflaged skiff on the trailer). Saw lady come running, screaming that people were being shot inside the salon. One of the hunters was an ex-marine. They grabbed their shotguns and started to approach the building. They saw the shooter come out, the shooter saw them, and the shooter went back inside. Police arrived.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Watched the interview on TV of two men, returning from duck hunting (they still had the camouflaged skiff on the trailer). Saw lady come running, screaming that people were being shot inside the salon. One of the hunters was an ex-marine. They grabbed their shotguns and started to approach the building. They saw the shooter come out, the shooter saw them, and the shooter went back inside. Police arrived.

That being the case, then it is possible that armed citizens stopped further innocents from becoming victims.

M

McX

they probably only had duck or goose calls on them. i am working on inventing the criminal call, which should be effective in many situations to bring the criminal out of an enclosure or building. or then again, if you believe the commercials, one could just call out: red robin, and wait for the criminal to pop out, and say yum.

MKEgal

McX said:
add to my no go list: Salons.
I can't picture you at a salon in the first place. The mind boggles.

protias said:
The ATF is also looking at where he purchased the firearm.
Grapeshot said:
And I would expect when, considering the omnipotent Restraining Order.
Teej said:
Now being reported that he bought a .40 on Saturday in a "private transaction".
Imagine how that person feels now. :uhoh:
Makes a good case for selling only to people you know, &/or maybe including a bill of sale where the person certifies to you that s/he is not a prohibited person.

Law abider said:
Gee I need a security detail just to visit Milwaukee. That's too expensive.
How expensive can it be to take a bunch of your gun-nut friends to dinner to say thanks? :rolleyes:

He was ordered to surrender his guns. Did he do so?
If not, they should have gone to his place and taken them.
One news report said that there is no mechanism (currently) to notify law enforcement when someone is prohibited. I strongly suspect that there's also not enough staff to handle sending a SWAT team to each house to search & take property. (Would you send a single officer on an errand like that?) :shocker:
If there were enough staff, in a DV case I'd support giving the weapons to the intended victim & letting the abuser know it.
When the magistrate prohibited me last NOV I asked Rebecca if the police were allowed to come search my home (to make sure I didn't have firearms). She looked shocked & said something to the effect of "No, and you call me if they try it!".

I saw on the news this morning that some guy in (IIRC) Sheboygan threatened to shoot his wife last night.
I wonder how many more copycat threats/acts there will be,
how many women will see the signs of abuse in their partner & get out of the relationship,
& how many men will see themselves in this guy & decide to change.

I was listening to the radio on the way home yesterday. They were talking about DV, & the guest was some professor from UW-Milwaukee. He made reference to how "easy" it is to get guns, & how that's a big part of why these massacres happen.
I suspect he's never tried to buy a gun from a dealer, or else he thinks that every street corner has a drug & gun dealer willing to sell to kindergardeners. :banghead:

Law abider

How expensive can it be to take a bunch of your gun-nut friends to dinner to say thanks? :rolleyes:

What a stupe I am! Ofcourse I could ask my Ok Quarry shooters to be my security detail! Give me some time. I am going to make every effort to come to Madison. For Miluwakee, I'll bring my leo buddy instead of my gun nut friends. would have to feed them too ( as their pay) esp when some of them eat like hogs I think. The leo has to stay slim so I'll bring him. He might dress up like he usually does, a biker bec him and our assistant DA are bikers.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
http://www.wkow.com/story/19893787/cause-of-death-released-for-brookfield-shooting-victims

did we really have to do autopsies to determine a bullet killed a gunshot victim??????

Well, you have to keep the government employees busy. Although, local governments killing people just to gin up work for their coroners is sorta frowned on. Not out of any sense of decency, mind you. Its because it cuts into the tax base.

If you're having too little work for your coroner, first you oppress the people economically. Once they get some crime and gangs going and start killing each other, or start dying off from bad health care, then you have more work for your coroners. So, if your coroners are lightly scheduled, just check into how Detroit and Chicago got theirs employed full time.

Last edited:

Archangel

From the Journal article:

2c_0e6_u8wg2.png

I blew it up and reversed it so it's easier to read.