• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington CPL - "The Changes They Are A Coming"

Thor80

Correct, at LESA in Tacoma you can check a box and for $3 they will laminate it for you. They use 10mil laminate. A little overprice, but worth it in my opinion. I chose that option as well.

Is Spokane Police out of the information loop? I got my CPL about 4 years ago and they specifically told me NOT to get mine laminated. Or has it changed in the last few years?

-Thor

Last edited:

Dave Workman

Well *Snicker* back at ya:
:lol:

the lamestream press hasn't reported this at all...and down in there I give proper credit to our own Mr. Bill for inspiring the column.

Thing of it is, this is really loooooooooooooooooong overdue. I can't remember all of the people I've known who have gotten out the scissors or a sharp razor blade or pocket knife to trim the edges of the darned thing to make it fit in their wallet, and then go right out and screw themselves by laminating it.

I'd be delighted to be rid of the things altogether. But we live in this world, not the perfect one. :banghead:

sirpuma

And what information is on your D/L that isn't also on your CPL? Just duplication. If you have to show your CPL it's got everything but your Pic on it.

As for requiring State ID, no law that you have to have it. However, have you ever flown lately? Try and get on a plane without a government issued "Picture ID". Some don't have cars and don't drive for whatever the reason. For those the State issues a State ID card.

My point was merely to stop the freaking duplication. DOL manages the CPL information and has all the D/L information as well. A simple addition of a code on one's D/L as an "endorsement" allowing for the carry of a concealed firearm, especially while in a motor vehicle, would be simple and save money.

DevinWKuska-

That's nice that they laminated yours for you. All mine have been mailed to me and are just paper that has to be folded and when laminated is usually just enough larger than the D/L it won't fit in the same pocket of my wallet.

There are different legal requirements and different expiration dates for the two forms. It would actually be more troublesome to try and combine them and as a dealer it can add confusion when it comes to adding the CPL info to the 4473. Though one other thing I would like to see is following Fed law on the NICS check where the CPL is an exception. But that will change just as soon as the cow flies over the moon and changes the requirement for a CPL and all other forms of licensing.

TechnoWeenie

Well *Snicker* back at ya:
:lol:

the lamestream press hasn't reported this at all...and down in there I give proper credit to our own Mr. Bill for inspiring the column.

Thing of it is, this is really loooooooooooooooooong overdue. I can't remember all of the people I've known who have gotten out the scissors or a sharp razor blade or pocket knife to trim the edges of the darned thing to make it fit in their wallet, and then go right out and screw themselves by laminating it.

I'd be delighted to be rid of the things altogether. But we live in this world, not the perfect one. :banghead:

Both my CPL and my state ID look like something that was printed in a basement.... and remind me of the paper 'credit card' and 'drivers license' from the 60's, that we found when my grandfather passed away.....

My brother LAUGHED when I showed him my CPL... But he lives in MD, so jokes on him: :p

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

And what information is on your D/L that isn't also on your CPL? Just duplication. If you have to show your CPL it's got everything but your Pic on it.

As for requiring State ID, no law that you have to have it. However, have you ever flown lately? Try and get on a plane without a government issued "Picture ID". Some don't have cars and don't drive for whatever the reason. For those the State issues a State ID card.

My point was merely to stop the freaking duplication. DOL manages the CPL information and has all the D/L information as well. A simple addition of a code on one's D/L as an "endorsement" allowing for the carry of a concealed firearm, especially while in a motor vehicle, would be simple and save money.

DevinWKuska-

That's nice that they laminated yours for you. All mine have been mailed to me and are just paper that has to be folded and when laminated is usually just enough larger than the D/L it won't fit in the same pocket of my wallet.

A photo for one.

I could not find anywhere that I have to update my CPL with my new address anytime I move. The DL requires it be updated every time you move.

A D/L demands a SSN, a CPL does not.

The state says that they can take your DL for any reason. Your CPL requires you to screw up.

I would not want them to be linked at all.

amzbrady

I went to the local print shop in Ocean Shores when I got mine and payed a buck to get it laminated. Thats where one of the officers suggested I go. I havnt seen one yet over 2 weeks old that isnt laminated. It would be cool if they came the size of a license.

I dont know why they dont just microchip us with Info then they could just scan us as we walk by?:shocker:

Levi

I dont know why they dont just microchip us with Info then they could just scan us as we walk by?:shocker:

You, sir, should not put out bad ideas where stupid people can get to them. Given how the gvmnt handles so many other things, how well do you think that program would implemented. How many hours before before identity thieves learn how to crack the system and cause major havoc? I could go on but it only gets darker.

amlevin

A photo for one.

I could not find anywhere that I have to update my CPL with my new address anytime I move. The DL requires it be updated every time you move.

A D/L demands a SSN, a CPL does not.

The state says that they can take your DL for any reason. Your CPL requires you to screw up.

I would not want them to be linked at all.

It may be required to update address on D/L whenever you move but I wonder how many really are? How many "addresses" are really the local Mail Boxes R Us.
I even know personally someone who moved out of State for 10 years and just returned to renew their WA D/L. For that matter it probably happens with half the "Snow Birds living in WA and AZ.

The State can only take your D/L after Due Process. Ditto the CPL.

I may be getting old but I've never had to provide an SSN for my Driver's License.

As for all this "information paranoia", don't really understand the justification. The Government knows all they want to know about us regardless. If you work and pay taxes, own porperty, drive a car, use credit, etc., they know just about everything.

I worry more about my neighbor's worthless kid stealing my TV than I worry about having information on my D/L or CPL.

Freedom1Man

The State can only take your D/L after Due Process.

Not true at all. Child support is prime example. You don't get any court hearing someone one claiming that you owe and you can loose your license.
I may be getting old but I've never had to provide an SSN for my Driver's License.
Funny thing is that the state does not even follow the law on that. Then the law says that the DOL MAY suspend for being accused of not paying/owing child support.

I have all the records I would show you in person if you wanted to see.
When you apply for a Washington State driver license, instruction permit, or identification (ID) card, you must:

Be a Washington State resident.
Show us proof of identity.
Provide your Social Security number if you’re applying for a driver license.
If you don’t have a Social Security number when you apply for a driver license, photo instruction permit, or ID card, you’ll need to show proof of Washington residence.
Have your photograph taken.

It was for the children so if a parent can't pay then they can't get a job either. It was to make them criminals.
If you HAVE a SSN you must give it to them to get a D/L.
You might have forgotten is all. It's on the forms when you apply for it.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I even know personally someone who moved out of State for 10 years and just returned to renew their WA D/L. For that matter it probably happens with half the "Snow Birds living in WA and AZ.

The smart ones have AZ Driver Licenses. They are good for a much longer time. 20 years or something like that.

amlevin

It's on the forms when you apply for it.

The last time I "applied" for a WA D/L was in 1959. Have merely renewed it as it expired. Like I said, I must be getting old.

Also-

It's a good idea to be driving a car with a license plate from the same state as your D/L is issued (unless it's a rental or commercial vehicle). It raises all kinds of questions if your stopped. At one time the WA State Patrol had a special group that followed up on reports where officers stopped people with out of state vehicles, using WA D/L's and vice versa. Just a case of Government trying to collect all the taxes they can and keep track of their citizens.

Freedom1Man

The last time I "applied" for a WA D/L was in 1959. Have merely renewed it as it expired. Like I said, I must be getting old.

Also-

It's a good idea to be driving a car with a license plate from the same state as your D/L is issued (unless it's a rental or commercial vehicle). It raises all kinds of questions if your stopped. At one time the WA State Patrol had a special group that followed up on reports where officers stopped people with out of state vehicles, using WA D/L's and vice versa. Just a case of Government trying to collect all the taxes they can and keep track of their citizens.

When you renewed it after 1996 or so they asked you for it when you were into renew it.

Since most people don't care about being asked for a SSN the being asked does not stick in their minds.

As for the AZ DL they would get plates there too seeing as how your don't have emissions tests there and only need a rear plate.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

I know it may not be too related but up until about 7 years ago a persons drivers licence number in MT was their SSN. Talk about an identity concern if you loose your wallet. Thankfully, they decided it was a bad idea and started going with random name and number combinations with renewals starting around 2004 or 5.

amlevin

I know it may not be too related but up until about 7 years ago a persons drivers licence number in MT was their SSN. Talk about an identity concern if you loose your wallet. Thankfully, they decided it was a bad idea and started going with random name and number combinations with renewals starting around 2004 or 5.

Even the Military is getting (or has already) away from SSN's as Service Numbers.

I still hold that I have never given the WA DOL MY SSN. Read that carefully.

decklin

When I got my WA license I still had my NH license. I showed it to them they handed it back then asked where I live. I do not remember giving my ssn and I did not show ANY proof of residence. This was a year ago.

DCKilla

DevinWKuska-
Bad idea, it's like handing over your D/L and CPL during a traffic stop. Who knows what that LEO might do? They might be cool or down right Birk.