• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington CPL - "The Changes They Are A Coming"

amlevin

I don't know.
In this day and age they can run your Vehicle License Number and have the D/L# of the registered owner (unless a corporate registration) and any CPL's held by the Registered Owner's.

Every time you renew your vehicle tabs there is a box that requires the DL #'s. If you have a CPL, DOL administers them so they have that information as well.

If you have a job and pay taxes they know all about you. If you own property, they know all about you. If you do anything that involves the Government you have few secrets. If you've served in the military now they not only have your fingerprints and blood type (which was all they got when I served) but they also have your DNA and Retinal Scan.

If you want to be "anonymous" you have to do like Ted Kaczynski and go live in a remote shack. Unlike him though, don't write any manifesto or let your family members know where you are. That's about the only time you can keep anything from the Government and their looking into your "affairs" whenever they feel the need.

Freedom1Man

When I got my WA license I still had my NH license. I showed it to them they handed it back then asked where I live. I do not remember giving my ssn and I did not show ANY proof of residence. This was a year ago.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/dsmv450.pdf

WA got it from NH despite that I could not find any requirement for NH, except on above form, to collect a SSN from citizens.

You may have never filled out that form though. Only you and the state know for sure.

rapgood

You, sir, should not put out bad ideas where stupid people can get to them. Given how the gvmnt handles so many other things, how well do you think that program would implemented. How many hours before before identity thieves learn how to crack the system and cause major havoc? I could go on but it only gets darker.

But, if they don't 'chip us, if I get lost, how will I get back to my lawful owner instead of being euthanized 7 days after they catch me?? :lol:

cynicist

And what information is on your D/L that isn't also on your CPL? Just duplication. If you have to show your CPL it's got everything but your Pic on it.

As for requiring State ID, no law that you have to have it. However, have you ever flown lately? Try and get on a plane without a government issued "Picture ID". Some don't have cars and don't drive for whatever the reason. For those the State issues a State ID card.

My point was merely to stop the freaking duplication. DOL manages the CPL information and has all the D/L information as well. A simple addition of a code on one's D/L as an "endorsement" allowing for the carry of a concealed firearm, especially while in a motor vehicle, would be simple and save money.

DevinWKuska-

That's nice that they laminated yours for you. All mine have been mailed to me and are just paper that has to be folded and when laminated is usually just enough larger than the D/L it won't fit in the same pocket of my wallet.
State v Turner of Nov 2000 states that it is not unlawful to refuse to show ID upon request. I carry a copy with me, and I have used it.

amlevin

State v Turner of Nov 2000 states that it is not unlawful to refuse to show ID upon request. I carry a copy with me, and I have used it.

D/L's are required to be presented if stopped while driving. CPL's are required to be shown when asked by Law Officers when Concealed carrying. The decision won't protect you in these situations.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
D/L's are required to be presented if stopped while driving. CPL's are required to be shown when asked by Law Officers when Concealed carrying. The decision won't protect you in these situations.

Wrong in both accounts. There is quiet a discussion on the traffic forums I am on but consensus is that a dl is not required to be on your person. And a cpl must be demanded not asked for.

decklin

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/dsmv450.pdf

WA got it from NH despite that I could not find any requirement for NH, except on above form, to collect a SSN from citizens.

You may have never filled out that form though. Only you and the state know for sure.

Yes, NH has my ssn. It doesn't change the fact that they looked at my NH DL then handed it right back. They didn't type anything while they had it. They also didn't require any proof of residency. I brought proof with me thinking I would need it but they never asked for it. Maybe they were supposed to get this info but they didn't.

decklin

MY NH permit is a hard card with my info...

Lucky. When did you get it? I got mine in 2004 or 2005. It was a piece of paper about 3"x4"
It expired a couple years ago. I need to get a non-resident permit for when I go back to visit.
By the way, why do you have a NH permit? Are you from there?

Freedom1Man

Yes, NH has my ssn. It doesn't change the fact that they looked at my NH DL then handed it right back. They didn't type anything while they had it. They also didn't require any proof of residency. I brought proof with me thinking I would need it but they never asked for it. Maybe they were supposed to get this info but they didn't.

All state databases are linked. They simply got it from the NH database when they pulled it up.

bennie1986

When i got my wa permit i don't remember them asking for a location and description of my tattoos but my wife was asked to provide that info when she went to get her permit a few days ago. Anyone know if this is new or when it started?

Blueslant

Now if they'd just offer a Laminated or plastic version just like a D/L. Too bad they're not smart enough to just make it an "Endorsement" on the D/L or WA State ID card. Just think of the money they could save by not duplicating everything.

My big issue with this is that I just don't want to advertise that I have a CPL every time I get pulled over, or get carded for beer, or buy something with a credit card etc. Seems to just fly in the face of "concealed" to me.

I like having the separate card personally.

amlevin

My big issue with this is that I just don't want to advertise that I have a CPL every time I get pulled over, or get carded for beer, or buy something with a credit card etc. Seems to just fly in the face of "concealed" to me.

I like having the separate card personally.

When you get pulled over the Officer could already know you have a CPL. If you are driving your own vehicle the state links D/L's with vehicle registration and again, they link CPL's with D/L's.

When you get "carded" the only thing the clerk looks at is your picture and Birth Date. Could care less what your "endorsements are". Already have endorsements for Corrective Lenses, Motorcycles, Commercial, etc., a CPL endorsement would hardly be noticed by anyone other than Law Enforcement.

When buying with a credit card and having to show ID, again, picture, name, and expiration date, are all they give a care about.

heresolong

The State can only take your D/L after Due Process.

My wife was charged with a DUI. Automatic suspension of license for three months starting the day she was charged. No appeal, no court, nothing. She didn't even go to court on the DUI for a couple months and hadn't had a license that whole time. It's called an administrative suspension and it's automatic.

Freedom1Man

My wife was charged with a DUI. Automatic suspension of license for three months starting the day she was charged. No appeal, no court, nothing. She didn't even go to court on the DUI for a couple months and hadn't had a license that whole time. It's called an administrative suspension and it's automatic.

Another cause for suspension without a hearing is a child support.

You don't get a day in court you just get your license suspended.

xxx.jakk.xxx

All state databases are linked. They simply got it from the NH database when they pulled it up.

From my experience, they are somewhat linked. When people's DLs are suspended by something in WA and their DL is for another state, it can take an extremely long time for the DL to be released. The Notice from the courts goes to the DOL. The WA DOL then has to notify the other state's DOL manually. This process, in my experience, can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks. So they are kind of linked, but I don't think they have direct instant access to the other state's DOL's database, just the ability to contact them.

sudden valley gunner

Wrong in both accounts. There is quiet a discussion on the traffic forums I am on but consensus is that a dl is not required to be on your person. And a cpl must be demanded not asked for.

I've talked the on demand part of the CPL part with a lawyer he agreed with me that they still have to have a reason this law doesn't trump our other rights , they can't just assume you don't have one and want to see it because you were in a car or you printed. They still need RS or PC that you have done something wrong.