• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Stops ordering Ammo

gearup

Well it would be news to me because when I spoke with the store manager today she had told me that corporate is putting out a new policy that will stop all sales on Ammo,that they have been instructed to stop requesting any future ammo for their stores. I emailed corporate and I am waiting to hear back. It would make sense considering Wal-Mart heir Sam Walton has apparently given big to Obama’s SuperPAC. Sam Walton gave the maximum $30,800 to the Obama Victory Fund in 2008, and $40,000 to the OVF this election. So from just that Obama has a partner in this madness, it is strange though walmart sells a ton of stuff for hunting gear and that would kill all that income for them.

I have to SCREAM "BS" on this. You NEVER spoke to anyone and they NEVER spoke to you. Why spread myths and lies. Sam Walton DIED on April 5, 1992. So how exactly did he make a contribution to Obama's Super PAC in 2008? Furthermore, Walmart stores DO NOT order goods for their stores. Merchandise is sent automatically from distribution centers based on regional and store demands. The stores have no ides what goods they will receive until the truck arrives.

zack991

I have to SCREAM "BS" on this. You NEVER spoke to anyone and they NEVER spoke to you. Why spread myths and lies. Sam Walton DIED on April 5, 1992. So how exactly did he make a contribution to Obama's Super PAC in 2008? Furthermore, Walmart stores DO NOT order goods for their stores. Merchandise is sent automatically from distribution centers based on regional and store demands. The stores have no ides what goods they will receive until the truck arrives.

Hey if you read the thread instead of jumping in you would see it was Jim Sam Walton. Also google is your damn friend. learn to read they entire thread, because this has been coverd a few times already. If you took the two seconds to google Sam Walton and Obama you would get 50 plus links, you don't even need to put Jim in the searh.
www.washingtonexaminer.com/wal-mart-heir-funding-obama-big-time/article/2511391#.UPoXNL-9Kc0

Last edited:

nonameisgood

You did say "Sam Walton", so don't crawfish now. If you meant Jim, you would have said Jim. Don't be defensive, just admit that you meant "The Walton dynasty" and move along.

As much as I hate what WalMart is now, I think Sam Walton was a great American, having found a way to make lots if money, support US business, and provide good value.

It's not important enough to me to google, but lots of people give to both sides, to hedge their bets.

zack991

Jim Walton, at age 56, is the 11th richest person in the world in 2009 according to Forbes. Although he is the Walton that stays at home, he is the chairman of the board and CEO of Arvest Bank which has an estimated net worth of US$20.7 Billion. Arvest Bank Group Inc. is a group of banks in 91 communities in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. He joined Wal-Mart for four years from 1971 to 1975 and worked on the real estate area. As he left Wal-Mart in 1975, he joined the family’s business, Walton Enterprises. He is also the chairman and a member of the board of Community Publishers Inc. He still work the family business and has controlling stock in Walmart corp.

There's Helen, the family matriarch, who until recently cooked grits for houseguests at 6:30 in the morning. Helen's children all have varying degrees of their father's fire. There's son John, who survived harrowing missions as a Special Forces operative in Vietnam, and who now leads the family's philanthropic efforts. There's son Jim, who pre-sides over the Waltons' private businesses, including a fast-growing banking empire. There's son Rob, the underestimated chairman of Wal-Mart, who is the link between the company and the family. And there's a daughter, Alice, the richest woman in America, who closed her investment bank so she could breed cutting horses, and who has been a leader in the development of Northwest Arkansas.

WalkingWolf

Jim Walton, at age 56, is the 11th richest person in the world in 2009 according to Forbes. Although he is the Walton that stays at home, he is the chairman of the board and CEO of Arvest Bank which has an estimated net worth of US$20.7 Billion. Arvest Bank Group Inc. is a group of banks in 91 communities in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. He joined Wal-Mart for four years from 1971 to 1975 and worked on the real estate area. As he left Wal-Mart in 1975, he joined the family’s business, Walton Enterprises. He is also the chairman and a member of the board of Community Publishers Inc. He still work the family business and has controlling stock in Walmart corp.

There's Helen, the family matriarch, who until recently cooked grits for houseguests at 6:30 in the morning. Helen's children all have varying degrees of their father's fire. There's son John, who survived harrowing missions as a Special Forces operative in Vietnam, and who now leads the family's philanthropic efforts. There's son Jim, who pre-sides over the Waltons' private businesses, including a fast-growing banking empire. There's son Rob, the underestimated chairman of Wal-Mart, who is the link between the company and the family. And there's a daughter, Alice, the richest woman in America, who closed her investment bank so she could breed cutting horses, and who has been a leader in the development of Northwest Arkansas.

Soooo???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

So it's interesting to know who the players are. Maybe one of them will adopt me.
tongue.png

Last edited:

eye95

I'll admit that I don't know how Walmart orders their merchandise. Those who have not been involved in the process heavily should not portray themselves as knowing. That being said, I have been involved heavily in the ordering process for the Exchange. I imagine there are a lot of similarities with Walmart's methods.

Most product is ordered automatically. Once a store is programmed to carry a certain product, one of various algorithms is used to automatically order the product from a distribution center. Some product can be ordered manually by the store from the distribution center. Some product is directly ordered from the manufacturer and shipped directly to the store. (This is how they handle the hard to get stuff for which they want the buying clout of the whole chain brought to bear on the manufacturer or distributor.) Some product (almost all firearms, ammunition, and accessories) is ordered directly from distributor or manufacturer by store personnel to be shipped directly to the store.

It sounds like Walmart is switching certain ammo purchases from the last method to the next to last. A person who claims familiarity with Walmart ordering has stated that this is what is happening. I find him to be quite credible based on how he discussed the matter, his claimed creds, and my personal experience with what must be a similar system.

willow140

Most of our items(walmart) are order through a point of sales (POS) system. Sales of a product sell down to a certain level a the computer

then places an order for the item to fill the self. The dept manager has an option to order more of an item to feature on an endcap or a stackbase. Ammo would normally be ordered in this way but because of demand being so high home office took over the ordering.

As for the Associte who took the ammo off of the pallet, if he took a whole case of ammo and bought it for himself that is against walmart policy and he could be fired for it. If it was just one box out of a case that would different.

Last night about 8:30I took out four cases of ammo from our truck, (1case) 223 100round value pack, (1case 22Lr) 555 round pack, and 2 cases of 38sp. All were gone by 10pm. The same thing happens in the other stores in our market.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Most of our items(walmart) are order through a point of sales (POS) system. Sales of a product sell down to a certain level a the computer

then places an order for the item to fill the self. The dept manager has an option to order more of an item to feature on an endcap or a stackbase. Ammo would normally be ordered in this way but because of demand being so high home office took over the ordering.

As for the Associte who took the ammo off of the pallet, if he took a whole case of ammo and bought it for himself that is against walmart policy and he could be fired for it. If it was just one box out of a case that would different.

Last night about 8:30I took out four cases of ammo from our truck, (1case) 223 100round value pack, (1case 22Lr) 555 round pack, and 2 cases of 38sp. All were gone by 10pm. The same thing happens in the other stores in our market.

If I was a dept manager, I would order a hundred or even a thousand cases. More sales would mean more resources to my dept. and sales figures supporting raises. BUT other stores would suffer, and go without. I can see why Walmart might take control of the ammo orders. Personally I don't see why anyone would buy ammo at Walmart when it is cheaper online. And anyone IMO who uses or keeps large amounts of ammo is a fool who does not reload.

nonameisgood

Good have someone in here that is involved and knows what the rumor mill doesn't.

WalkingWolf;1883931...And anyone IMO who uses or keeps large amounts of ammo is a fool who does not reload.[/QUOTE said:
Time isn't free, and some people simply are not to be trusted to pay enough attention to load their own. I will not shoot other people's reloads. I've been doing it long enough (off and on for 30 years) to know it can be done safely, or not. Guess I'll go try some of my 41 Mag I loaded this week, for the first time in 24 years.

WalkingWolf

Good have someone in here that is involved and knows what the rumor mill doesn't.

Time isn't free, and some people simply are not to be trusted to pay enough attention to load their own. I will not shoot other people's reloads. I've been doing it long enough (off and on for 30 years) to know it can be done safely, or not. Guess I'll go try some of my 41 Mag I loaded this week, for the first time in 24 years.
No time is not free, but for most of us who reload we do not look at it that way. I would rather be reloading then watching TV. As far as safety kabooms happen with factory ammo also. And most people reloading are not reloading for others. Though I imagine my ammo will be passed down with my guns when I move on. As for those not being trusted that is up to them to be safe or decide whether they should be. Let's not have rules for who can and cannot reload.

For the most part I am not at the market whim. As long as I have enough components on hand. Since most of the components come by mail, I don't have to fuss with standing in line, driving to and from in the search of elusive ammo. Time isn't free after all.

WalkingWolf

I'm told that reloading equipment is in short supply - demand is surpassing availability.

That is correct GS, more people are turning to reloading, and primers are getting hard to get. Just check out Lee Precision site to see how many out of stock items they have. Ed's in Vass still has components though, he was out of brass though. I just picked up a couple boxes of primers, but should have picked up powder. I have powder, and it lasts for a lot of rounds, but I should buy more, maybe I'll make a trip down there again.

Suggestion for newbies is Universal Clays powder it works for just about everything except high power rounds. Less types of powder means less overall investment. I keep three powders on hand Universal, H110/W296, H322. These will cover most everyone's needs.

Hey we should have a sub forum, or at least a thread dedicated to it.

linerider69

Ammo at Walmart

That is correct GS, more people are turning to reloading, and primers are getting hard to get. Just check out Lee Precision site to see how many out of stock items they have. Ed's in Vass still has components though, he was out of brass though. I just picked up a couple boxes of primers, but should have picked up powder. I have powder, and it lasts for a lot of rounds, but I should buy more, maybe I'll make a trip down there again.

Suggestion for newbies is Universal Clays powder it works for just about everything except high power rounds. Less types of powder means less overall investment. I keep three powders on hand Universal, H110/W296, H322. These will cover most everyone's needs.

Hey we should have a sub forum, or at least a thread dedicated to it.

Well I shop at three different Walmarts in my area all have had diminishing ammo surplus for a couple of months now.I was buying from the Walmart a little further from my house because the lady that orders it is a supervisor for that dept. and tries to keep it well stocked.As of late She has told me the demand for ammo has increased 4 times or more the normal rate,they are still getting ammo but like at this Walmart it comes in about 8:00am and according to Her must be secured in the locked case immediately.Me and a few other people that know when the ammo comes in are usually waiting as they are stocking it and get what we can all of it is gone by 9:00am and the shelves are empty. If you don't show up you get no ammo.

We-the-People

I'm told that reloading equipment is in short supply - demand is surpassing availability.

I haven't seen a shortage of EQUIPMENT but components are hard to find. Equipment only goes out to those who are getting into reloading or upgrading equipment. Components are required by all existing and new reloaders. Powder and primers seem to be the least available though projectiles are also hard to find in specific configurations (55 and 62 grain .224's for the AR15 for example).

WalkingWolf

I haven't seen a shortage of EQUIPMENT but components are hard to find. Equipment only goes out to those who are getting into reloading or upgrading equipment. Components are required by all existing and new reloaders. Powder and primers seem to be the least available though projectiles are also hard to find in specific configurations (55 and 62 grain .224's for the AR15 for example).

I cast my bullets, so it is just powder, primer, and brass. Brass is extremely hard to get right now. I have been buying range brass but it is not the same as reloading once fired or new brass. Range brass takes more time for inspection, and preparation.