• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOT the way to Open Carry....

Law abider

I suppose that would mitigate things somewhat, but if doing regular things (producing a wallet) causes your form of carry to become unsafe, it somewhat begins to call into question that mode of carry itself.

I suppose every step we take, or whatever we do in public has a legal definition like in the military. Hmmm How would one safely carry? in a long holster and then slung over the shoulders?

Interceptor_Knight

I suppose every step we take, or whatever we do in public has a legal definition like in the military. Hmmm How would one safely carry? in a long holster and then slung over the shoulders?

He was carrying relatively "safely". He did not have his finger in the trigger guard and it was carried on a sturdy sling which held it in place on his body. My premise is that he "should" have chosen a sling which would give him much more positive control, would have better retention and is more secure on his body. There are a plethora of single, dual and 3 point slings which fit this purpose. A cheap 2 point just slung sideways on your back does not. Even a 2 point "Service Rifle" type sling would have been better and allowed him to carry it in a vertical position (muzzle up or down) high on his back over a shoulder.

NoTolerance

My only gripe is the shotgun dude. One big azz shotty to be carrying around, what seven, maybe eight feet long that thing is. Probably a 100 round tube mag. Weighs about 56.3 pounds, at least. Though, it could make a usable crutch if a leg injury is sustained.

It's the *only* gun the gentleman owns. Please provide him with some latitude, as his options are to carry the BFG or nothing at all.

Law abider

He was carrying relatively "safely". He did not have his finger in the trigger guard and it was carried on a sturdy sling which held it in place on his body. My premise is that he "should" have chosen a sling which would give him much more positive control, would have better retention and is more secure on his body. There are a plethora of single, dual and 3 point slings which fit this purpose. A cheap 2 point just slung sideways on your back does not. Even a 2 point "Service Rifle" type sling would have been better and allowed him to carry it in a vertical position (muzzle up or down) high on his back over a shoulder.

I understand. You don't want it to swing from side to side wildly so as to have the muzzle briefly pointing at someone on either swing. Agreed.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Nothing portrayed was inherently negligent or unsafe, no matter how intimidating people may find it. It is no less safe than a horizontal shoulder holster so long as his finger is off of the trigger and the safety is engaged unless you consider the safety of the carrier as he will find it difficult to maintain control of the weapon while carrying it in that manner.

Was the safety engaged? What about other things snagging the trigger? I maintain it's unsafe.

It seems, though I have no facts to substantiate my contention, that the cops were not too concerned about the form of carry. I don't OC a long gun because that is a site rules violation and OCDO might find out. I also would not be standing too close to that fella either.

Agreed. I hope it goes without saying that I'm not defending the cops. I operate under the default assumption that they're wrong (how they treat us, fair is fair).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Just don't let it POINT at people's faces as a matter of course. :)

That's my beef with this guy. He's not safe. I stand by my assessment.

"It's OK that he had his SUV's tires up against that guy's head with the engine running, he had the parking brake on!"

:p

(Joke analogy, don't take it too seriously please.)

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Has there been a problem with AR's firing without any manipulation of the safety or trigger? If so they are unsafe and should be recalled.

I wonder how many folks sweep their neighbors when cleaning or storing guns. That handgun in the drawer is most certainly sweeping someone. My understanding of sweeping is the firearm IN THE HANDS. Honestly how do you guys ever manage to go to a guns show or a gun shop with all those guns sweeping.

Come on guys use some common sense!

OC for ME

Agreed. I hope it goes without saying that I'm not defending the cops. I operate under the default assumption that they're wrong (how they treat us, fair is fair).
I have read your words and unreasonable is not one of the attributes I would......uh......attribute, to you.

Law abider

Has there been a problem with AR's firing without any manipulation of the safety or trigger? If so they are unsafe and should be recalled.

I wonder how many folks sweep their neighbors when cleaning or storing guns. That handgun in the drawer is most certainly sweeping someone. My understanding of sweeping is the firearm IN THE HANDS. Honestly how do you guys ever manage to go to a guns show or a gun shop with all those guns sweeping.

Need to look at the video to see if you can see if the safety lock was on safety. I heard that AR15 will fire by themselves when they rock to and fro when walking or when one makes erratic movements.

WalkingWolf

Need to look at the video to see if you can see if the safety lock was on safety. I heard that AR15 will fire by themselves when they rock to and fro when walking or when one makes erratic movements.(cite please):lol:

Could YOU see the safety was not on? Even with that the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Do you pi$$ your pants when a police car drives by with a loaded AR in the trunk? Do you know if the safety is on?

Last edited:

Law abider

Could YOU see the safety was not on? Even with that the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Do you pi$$ your pants when a police car drives by with a loaded AR in the trunk? Do you know if the safety is on?

Need a magnifying glass! Couldn't see if safety was on. Getting old. I'll be ok with OC AR15 in Prescott.

WalkingWolf

Need a magnifying glass! Couldn't see if safety was on. Getting old. I'll be ok with OC AR15 in Prescott.

Yea I can't see if the safety is on a holstered 1911 cocked and locked either. And a bullet that ricochets off the floor after flattening out is dangerous. But then even if the safety is off I know the gun is not going to pull it's own trigger. So I don't make a fool of myself by soiling myself over others method of carry.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Guns in gun shows are *supposed* to be unloaded. I still prefer not to be swept, TBH.

A gun in a draw has the trigger protected... by the drawer. A gun strapped to your back does not.

Also, if my gun discharges, I am less likely to hit someone I "swept" from within my house (angular size and all) than someone I walked by on the street.

I maintain this is unsafe. It is trivial to carry slung such that the gun is always pointed in a safe direction.

Again, firearm safety rules are redundant for a good reason. The mode of carry in question brings it down to merely one safety rule followed (finger off the trigger), with no redundancy. It's pointed at people, it's loaded, and the trigger is exposed.

Unsafe.