• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOT the way to Open Carry....

jhfc

There are safety warnings on every gun manufactured in the US~~either show a cite that clearly demonstrates there is a problem or admit you are making stuff up.

I will admit no such thing. Do you read what other people write?

I'm not making a claim. I am learning about the gun and any potential idiosyncrasies. Some people on the net report accidental discharge. I think to myself, hmmm, I should research this further and find out if there is a real risk here or not. I've had my shiny, oily, new Colt all of a week now. Still gathering information and drawing conclusions.

The end.

WalkingWolf

I will admit no such thing. Do you read what other people write?

I'm not making a claim. I am learning about the gun and any potential idiosyncrasies. Some people on the net report accidental discharge. I think to myself, hmmm, I should research this further and find out if there is a real risk here or not. I've had my shiny, oily, new Colt all of a week now. Still gathering information and drawing conclusions.

The end.

You brought this bull carp to this thread when the carrier was not even handling his AR. Then you made excuses on stories, and then brought up the manufacturers warning on every single firearm sold. Why not try to stay on the topic of the thread.

Wow you have had your Colt a week, I am impressed. (Sarcasm)

jhfc

You brought this bull carp to this thread when the carrier was not even handling his AR. Then you made excuses on stories, and then brought up the manufacturers warning on every single firearm sold. Why not try to stay on the topic of the thread.

Wow you have had your Colt a week, I am impressed. (Sarcasm)

Earlier I said:

I have no idea how prevalent accidental discharge is with ARs or under what circumstances, but there are a few stories around the net. I would assume the case is very rare, but one must be extremely careful as the risk seems higher than with other types of firearms, particularly handguns.

BTW, I'm a new AR owner and just coming up to speed.

Yes, quite the line of bull droppings. (rolls eyes)

I can't help it if reading comprehension isn't a core skill set of yours.

I do appreciate the crazed wolverine who hasn't seen a girl wolverine in lo these many moons tone of your posts though. Very much.

WalkingWolf

Indeed, which just goes to show that mechanical devices and their safety systems can fail, and why multiple redundant safety rules are important. I wouldn't want a little kid to hang out under my holstered handgun, either.

That's because sensible people (read: the vast majority of people who carry guns) carry handguns on a day-to-day basis for practical self-defense, not AR15s.

I mean, come on. You can do better.

Foolish for not wanting a loaded AR15 pointed at my head?

Are you ready for it?: :rolleyes:

Was the gun in the video pointed at your head? Do you handle your firearm no matter what it is while openly carrying? If you do you are unsafe, anytime a firearm discharges the bullet can hit another, whether in a holster pointed at the ground, a rifle pointed down or up. Thinking otherwise is very very foolish.

The only safe way to carry is keep your hands OFF the weapon unless it is needed. The man in the video did not have his hands on his AR, you are being a hoplophobe.

WalkingWolf

I agree, this dude is capable of knowing much better than to walk around letting a loaded rifle point at people.

NOW that is really stupid, you have no idea that the gun is loaded. You are only making an assumption. And even if the gun is loaded with a round in the chamber it is not going to go off without a booger finger on the trigger. The claim that it would is the same stupid assumptions of anti crowd makes. The fact is that guns in squad cars, in the racks of pick up trucks, stored in drawers, holstered handguns while seated, and so on are sweeping somebody while not in somebodies hands, if that bothers you lock yourself up in a concrete bunker. Or come out of the closet as a anti...

Last edited:

notalawyer

I agree, this dude is capable of knowing much better than to walk around letting a loaded rifle point at people.

You ever carry a handgun in a holster while in a multi-story building, on any floor above the first? If so, you might just be pointing it at the head of everyone below.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And even if the gun is loaded with a round in the chamber it is not going to go off without a booger finger on the trigger.

So, only a finger can possibly depress a trigger? Shall we test this theory?

The claim that it would is the same stupid assumptions of anti crowd makes.

Clearly, I disagree.

The fact is that guns in squad cars, in the racks of pick up trucks, stored in drawers, holstered handguns while seated, and so on are sweeping somebody while not in somebodies hands, if that bothers you lock yourself up in a concrete bunker. Or come out of the closet as a anti...

Please don't reference the police as exemplars of safe behavior.

Ever again. :)

You ever carry a handgun in a holster while in a multi-story building, on any floor above the first? If so, you might just be pointing it at the head of everyone below.

As I mentioned, the handgun has the advantage of being in a holster which covers the trigger guard, adding a layer of redundancy to the safety regimen.

Also, it matters that this is not trivially avoided, as is adjusting the cant on your slung rifle so that it isn't unnecessarily and avoidably pointing at people. Nothing can ever be completely safe, but this is so simple an enhancement as to argue for itself.

Y'all can argue with me until the cows come home, but I promise you will never change my mind, or convince me to do anything other than shun irresponsible, unsafe, selfish asshats like the one in question.

I can also promise you that I will do my best to to let all my friends, gun-owning and non-gun-owning alike, know that safe, responsible gun owners would never do something so needlessly, avoidably unsafe.

I will win this one, because I have the rules of gun safety which every knowledgeable gun owner is taught on my side. Do not point guns at something you do not wish to destroy.

:)

Since we're making inapt comparisons to handguns, by y'alls logic, I could walk around pointing my handgun at folks' heads all day, so long as it isn't loaded or my finger isn't on the trigger. Maybe I'd have to make a contraption to hold it for me so it isn't "in my hands", but same difference. Simple, easily-followed, standard gun safety rules be damned!

Incidentally, it occurs to me that the implicit argument that a gun not being handled is inherently safe (maybe even safer) is specious. It is a common element of firearms training that a weapon is safest when handled in a control grip. Clearly, a slung weapon is neither holstered nor in a control grip, meaning the operator no longer has maximal control over, for instance, whether something (or someone?) inadvertently comes near the trigger.

All of this can be obviated by carrying properly, responsibly, and safely. There is no reason we should not set the example, and (at least) request the utmost responsibility from those among our fellow gun owners who are willing to be responsible, and to call out the rest for what they are.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

There are more ND's in public with handguns than long guns. You have no evidence or cites to show that the carry of a chambered AR is unsafe when hands are not on the weapon. Your fear is the same as a anti, from nothing more than ignorant hyperbole.

I thought you were smarter than that.

OC for ME

.....anyway, the fear of 'X' occurring based on the form of carry did not manifest itself that day, or at least not reported. the cops were not all that concerned if concerned at all. I would not carry a long gun that way, muzzle up is my choice, but that is just me.

Cops came and went. No fuss, no muss. Delving into possibilities is fine until facts provide clarity. Unfortunately the owner of the AR has not provided any facts.

And yes, my grand dad told me some years ago that the French did do what was ascribed to them, he saw it with his own eyes......except the soiling of their pants, grand dad did not check the validity of that claim.

svelectric

So, only a finger can possibly depress a trigger? Shall we test this theory?

Clearly, I disagree.

Please don't reference the police as exemplars of safe behavior.

Ever again. :)

As I mentioned, the handgun has the advantage of being in a holster which covers the trigger guard, adding a layer of redundancy to the safety regimen.

Also, it matters that this is not trivially avoided, as is adjusting the cant on your slung rifle so that it isn't unnecessarily and avoidably pointing at people. Nothing can ever be completely safe, but this is so simple an enhancement as to argue for itself.

Y'all can argue with me until the cows come home, but I promise you will never change my mind, or convince me to do anything other than shun irresponsible, unsafe, selfish asshats like the one in question.

I can also promise you that I will do my best to to let all my friends, gun-owning and non-gun-owning alike, know that safe, responsible gun owners would never do something so needlessly, avoidably unsafe.

I will win this one, because I have the rules of gun safety which every knowledgeable gun owner is taught on my side. Do not point guns at something you do not wish to destroy.

:)

Since we're making inapt comparisons to handguns, by y'alls logic, I could walk around pointing my handgun at folks' heads all day, so long as it isn't loaded or my finger isn't on the trigger. Maybe I'd have to make a contraption to hold it for me so it isn't "in my hands", but same difference. Simple, easily-followed, standard gun safety rules be damned!

Incidentally, it occurs to me that the implicit argument that a gun not being handled is inherently safe (maybe even safer) is specious. It is a common element of firearms training that a weapon is safest when handled in a control grip. Clearly, a slung weapon is neither holstered nor in a control grip, meaning the operator no longer has maximal control over, for instance, whether something (or someone?) inadvertently comes near the trigger.

All of this can be obviated by carrying properly, responsibly, and safely. There is no reason we should not set the example, and (at least) request the utmost responsibility from those among our fellow gun owners who are willing to be responsible, and to call out the rest for what they are.

BRAVO! Well said.

WalkingWolf

Only a ignorant anti considers a gun NOT being handled pointed at anyone. Damn I bet you believe guns fornicate when left alone. Guns pointed are guns in the hands, not slung or in a case, rack, counter, table. I have not heard such ignorant fears from anybody but antis, how surprising to see so many here.

Law abider

Only a ignorant anti considers a gun NOT being handled pointed at anyone. Damn I bet you believe guns fornicate when left alone. Guns pointed are guns in the hands, not slung or in a case, rack, counter, table. I have not heard such ignorant fears from anybody but antis, how surprising to see so many here.

He's just trying to prove he is somebody/know it all because he has been in the military and cuz we are bozoes without commonsense. That's ok, cuz when I have been in the same shoes in the past I have had that Freudian blurb that put me back in my shoes.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
ARs have a free floating firing pin and there is a big, scary warning in bold, red type, in the Colt 6920 owner's manual warning the owner that the firearm may discharge if dropped, banged on the front or when closing the bolt on a live round, regardless of the setting of any safety devices.

I have no idea how prevalent accidental discharge is with ARs or under what circumstances, but there are a few stories around the net. I would assume the case is very rare, but one must be extremely careful as the risk seems higher than with other types of firearms, particularly handguns.

BTW, I'm a new AR owner and just coming up to speed.

More or less that "warning" is simply legaleese to protect Colt. Think about it...if the gun "goes off" when the bolt closes what is to prevent this same firearm from going "full auto" every time you fire one round?