• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting bills

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yep, needs to be posted to get serious charges. A bucket of silver paint and a roller is all you need to post it.
A stripe on a tree is a legal posted sign.

That looked like a Deer to me...shoulda shot it.

Shooting a trespasser seems to me a foolish reason to go to prison and becoming bubba's girl friend.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Shooting a trespasser seems to me a foolish reason to go to prison and becoming bubba's girl friend.

I thought I made it clear enough a while back that you could keep your opinion in Wisconsin even though I expect you have valuable first hand knowledge about intimate relations with Bubba.

What I said was a joke between two Virginians who know each other. I understand humor and for that matter any hint of a personality are alien concepts out there...which is probably why you keep sticking your nose in the Va. forum...but in this thread it's Cheesehead's to the back of the bus.

Last edited:

B. Reddy

Courts Of Justice fair to hunting bills?

Looks like SB13 has been assigned to Courts Of Justice. That's a good sign.

Yikes, look at who chairs and serves on this Senate committee. Other than Obenshain, and Reeves in District 17, (Orange Co. and Spotslyvania Co.), does this committee engender warm fuzzy feelings towards hunting bills?

2014 SESSION
Senate Courts of Justice
MEMBERSHIP

Norment (Chairman), Saslaw, Marsh, Howell, Lucas, Edwards, Puller, Obenshain, McDougle, McEachin, Stuart, Vogel, Stanley, Reeves, Garrett

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yikes, look at who chairs and serves on this Senate committee. Other than Obenshain, and Reeves in District 17, (Orange Co. and Spotslyvania Co.), does this committee engender warm fuzzy feelings towards hunting bills?

2014 SESSION
Senate Courts of Justice
MEMBERSHIP

Norment (Chairman), Saslaw, Marsh, Howell, Lucas, Edwards, Puller, Obenshain, McDougle, McEachin, Stuart, Vogel, Stanley, Reeves, Garrett

It is complicated BR and could go either way....but...I've found that they see restrictions on dog hunters as something of a strike against gun owners. I assume it's because of the relationship between VCDL and VaHDA.

Several years ago a bill that would include losing a hunting license for violation of the statute was introduced. Saslaw was the first one I went to and he agreed right off to support it.

The thing will probably die in the House if it gets that far...if it is assigned to the AG committee there, it will certainly die because Lee Ware is the same to hunting bills as Saslaw is to gun bills.

Every pro still hunter/property owner bill dies in his Sub Committee.

They're also going to see this as a safety bill.

A dog hunter crashing around in thick brush and the landowner on stand knowing he hasn't given anyone permission to hunt, is just suicidal. This bill would at least put the land owner on notice that someone's there.

BUT,,before it deserves support the bill still needs a little work.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Important tip, now butt out!

Having hunted in many states and other countries I find the legislation proposed in other states to be interesting and often find that states like to copy what each other do.

Having relatives who own property in VA and having been invited down to go hunting there. I visited VA. several times

One tends to have interests in areas other then where they live.

One should not post statements in open forums if they do not want others to comment on them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Having hunted in many states and other countries I find the legislation proposed in other states to be interesting and often find that states like to copy what each other do.

Having relatives who own property in VA and having been invited down to go hunting there. I visited VA. several times

One tends to have interests in areas other then where they live.

One should not post statements in open forums if they do not want others to comment on them.

You just have to cackle away, don't you.

OK...I've hunted in just as many states as you and don't interfere with their laws. If I don't like them, I don't hunt there.
If your relatives who own property here are concerned, they need to get involved.

You have no say in Virginia, You can't vote, pay no taxes, legislators thumb their noses at non residents... and from your other threads where I've expressed displeasure at outtastaters, you're a pain in the backsides and if you did live here it would be in NOVA where you'd be part of the problem.

Be as interested as you like but stay at an arms length!

Now if you were in sister states like NC or WV...that would be different and they do have a very real dog in the fight....Wisconsin isn't even close.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't think it is a question of having an interest here. It is more the perception of making it a personal thing - that and undestanding the inner workings of Virginia.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now...back to the bill.

Here's the problem I see:

violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Right now, if a hunter follows his dogs and takes a gun or vehicle...(I've charged both over the years) he loses his immunity to the trespassing statute.

Contrary to what people read in the dime novels, you do not have to tell someone to leave to get a trespassing conviction.

In most cases the Game Warden will charge them with the lesser offense because it falls under the hunting Regs but a landowner can charge under the criminal trespass statutes. The Va Beach hunters I showed pictures of are charged with trespass. In that case the CPO's charged them and I've talked to the CPO's, the District SUpervisor and the Regional Supervisor. All are top notch in my book.

The way this bill reads to me, someone taking a gun or vehicle on posted land could ONLY BE CHARGED under this statute....which is a slap on the wrist.

Again in the Va. Beach case, the dog hunters have tried a host of dirty tricks including publishing that one of the criminals cut his foot on something they thought was a booby trap. I spoke to the rescue squad who supposedly was called and it never happened. I spoke to the arresting officer who said he was fine when she picked him up.

Lots more rumors of VaHDA reactions but that one was printed and I have a copy of it. Just trying to intimidate the property owner.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

You have no say in Virginia, You can't vote, pay no taxes, legislators thumb their noses at non residents... and from your other threads where I've expressed displeasure at outtastaters, you're a pain in the backsides and if you did live here it would be in NOVA where you'd be part of the problem.

I really think you have me confused with some one else.

Feel free to copy, paste and quote the comments on the other threads you are saying I made. I would like to see them

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I really think you have me confused with some one else.

Feel free to copy, paste and quote the comments on the other threads you are saying I made. I would like to see them

Sorry....On ignore!
This is a Virginia hunting bill thread.

I won't make any more jokes AND I WON'T SEE YOUR POSTS TO RESPOND TO.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
For the fence sitters wondering why we're discussing hunting bills....The two groups need to meet at a common goal.

So far, VaHDA has had too much influence over general gun bills and the hunting community is not taking it anymore....even the responsible dog hunters.

We need everyone in the state to support each other and the hunters are contacting their representatives which hasn't happened much in the past. If we add their (Our) voice to the non hunting lobby and we have something this year.
We
We tried divided and no one makes much progress, especially in this Administration.

This is a post from another board by a dog hunter about Sunday hunting and VaHDA.

I recently asked Delegate Rick Morris (again) his stand on Sunday hunting. I have asked him pre vote for last two years...he won't respond. He is a lawyer, why should I be surprised.

Remember if you are for Sunday hunting and are a member of va hunting dog assoc, the assoc is a prime lobbyist against Sunday hunting. I hunt with dogs...but am not a member.

For or against, just take a stand and let your delegates know.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For the fence sitters wondering why we're discussing hunting bills....The two groups need to meet at a common goal.

So far, VaHDA has had too much influence over general gun bills and the hunting community is not taking it anymore....even the responsible dog hunters.

We need everyone in the state to support each other and the hunters are contacting their representatives which hasn't happened much in the past. If we add their (Our) voice to the non hunting lobby and we have something this year.
We
We tried divided and no one makes much progress, especially in this Administration.

This is a post from another board by a dog hunter about Sunday hunting and VaHDA.

If there was every a time to raise our voices, it is now!

The harder we hit in ever greater numbers, the more difficult it shall be to have our voices ignored.

Team work, cooperation, and renewed effort will do so much more than letting Mikie do it. We need everyone on board.

This is already the eleventh hour - spread the word....loud and clear.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This bill partially solves the problem of carrying a handgun during ML and Bow season without a CHP. I get most of my Deer hunting done during these two seasons because the dog hunters ruin the regular season.

I have solved it during ML season bu carrying two rifles. Many people don't have two to carry though and even for those that do, it's inconvenient.

This is yet another baby step but helps bring the hunters with CHP's more in line with those without.

It's much like the restaurant bill that just gave CC'ers some of the same freedom OC'ers had.

Unfortunately, I'm sure the DGA will say single shot pistols only so I can't take my LeMatt...but I can take my 12 ga Howdah Pistol which is pretty good protection as well as a second hunting shot.

HB 127 Use of muzzleloading pistols.
Edward T. Scott
Summary as introduced:
Use of muzzleloading pistols. Allows persons to hunt big game with muzzleloading pistols of a caliber of .45 or greater where and in those seasons when the use of muzzlelooading rifles is permitted. The bill authorizes the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries to adopt regulations that specify the types of muzzleloading pistols and projectiles and propellants that can be used.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This bill partially solves the problem of carrying a handgun during ML and Bow season without a CHP. I get most of my Deer hunting done during these two seasons because the dog hunters ruin the regular season.

I have solved it during ML season bu carrying two rifles. Many people don't have two to carry though and even for those that do, it's inconvenient.

This is yet another baby step but helps bring the hunters with CHP's more in line with those without.

It's much like the restaurant bill that just gave CC'ers some of the same freedom OC'ers had.

Unfortunately, I'm sure the DGA will say single shot pistols only so I can't take my LeMatt...but I can take my 12 ga Howdah Pistol which is pretty good protection as well as a second hunting shot.

Question - meaning I don't know the answer.

If black powder handguns are not "guns", then could you not carry a BP wheel gun during all of your hunts?

Seems the market is golden for that :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Question - meaning I don't know the answer.

If black powder handguns are not "guns", then could you not carry a BP wheel gun during all of your hunts?

Seems the market is golden for that :p

Good question Grape.

ML's are not regulated by federal law but are to an extent by state. For instance a concealed ML handgun needs a CHP. They aren't considered guns but are firearms.

DGIF regulates their use for hunting:

• Pistols, revolvers, and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
  • It is unlawful to have a firearm in possession except that a muzzleloading firearm, as defined in the muzzleloader deer seasons section, may also be in possession when and where there is an overlap with a muzzleloading deer season where deer hunting with a rifle or muzzleloading firearm is permitted. (See exception for valid concealed handgun permit holders).
  • It is unlawful to use muzzleloading pistols. (Muzzle Loader Season)

The general feeling for non CHP holders is that if you can't hunt with it, you can't carry it. Some CPO's have even gone as far as telling hunter safety classes that if you have a combination gun (Rifle/Shotgun) both barrels either loaded or unloaded, have to be legal to hunt with in the area you're in.

Could you beat it court...who knows, but considering Scousers case and what Skidmark went through as well as people being convicted for having handguns in a closed glove box......I doubt it below the Appeals court.

AJG

If there was every a time to raise our voices, it is now!
The harder we hit in ever greater numbers, the more difficult it shall be to have our voices ignored.
Team work, cooperation, and renewed effort will do so much more than letting Mikie do it. We need everyone on board.
This is already the eleventh hour - spread the word....loud and clear.

A truer statement could not have been said better Grape...
and I have said in the past, hunters are pro 2A just due to the fact that most anti gun bills DO affect hunters.
So the pro 2A groups instantly gain support of hunters in general so as a org see no need to reciprocate.
But to get a pro 2A org such as the VCDL to stand up and say, "we support hunters rights and support this bill (insert bill name here)". is near impossible.
And peternap had said it... due to the relationship of the vcdl and the vahda leadership.
I've heard that the vcdl leadership in some way feels that attacking a Virginia Gun law prohibiting carrying a loaded longgun/shotgun in a vehicle is supporting hunters.
I fail to see the relationship because I can't and don't hunt from a vehicle.
We've heard it before... the vcdl supports gun rights, not hunters rights.
Once the leadership realizes that more hunters will stand beside the gun rights groups with support once the gun rights groups (as a gun right group) openly support the hunters in hunting issues...

mpguy

It's time for VCDL to start coming South of the James, lol. I don't mean the inner core cities of Hampton Roads either. Suffolk Isle of Wight County, Surry, all the little areas along Rte. 460 would probably jump at the chance to have someone, help voice there opinions on matters like this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrearick

attended the VCDL info meeting in Virginia Beach last night. First time I have attended one, and heard Phillip run down proposed legislation. If my written notes are correct, VCDL will be coming out in "SUPPORT" of HB 127 (the muzzle loading pistol proposal). Did not hear anything on the dog bill issue. That is what I took from the horses mouth. Not sure why they would not give "STRONGLY SUPPORT" on 127 or why the other bill SB13 does not have a position from VCDL other than it doesn't deal with gun rights as much as property rights. Just trying to report the facts as I heard them and leave my own bias/opionon out.