• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting bills

67GT390FB

A truer statement could not have been said better Grape...
and I have said in the past, hunters are pro 2A just due to the fact that most anti gun bills DO affect hunters.
So the pro 2A groups instantly gain support of hunters in general so as a org see no need to reciprocate.
But to get a pro 2A org such as the VCDL to stand up and say, "we support hunters rights and support this bill (insert bill name here)". is near impossible.
And peternap had said it... due to the relationship of the vcdl and the vahda leadership.
I've heard that the vcdl leadership in some way feels that attacking a Virginia Gun law prohibiting carrying a loaded longgun/shotgun in a vehicle is supporting hunters.
I fail to see the relationship because I can't and don't hunt from a vehicle.
We've heard it before... the vcdl supports gun rights, not hunters rights.
Once the leadership realizes that more hunters will stand beside the gun rights groups with support once the gun rights groups (as a gun right group) openly support the hunters in hunting issues...

Alex,

I still don't understand why you can't understand this simple concept. I think you are being puposefully dense. I am the hunter(who has nothing to do with VCDL leadership) and gun owner who asked VCDL to pursue this because it affects me as a hunter traveling between counties that have differing laws on transporting a loaded long gun. I don't hunt from my vehicle either and resent the not so subtly implied insult. As a hunter I don't see the need for a law preventing me from carrying a loaded longun in my vehicle. If I discharge that firearm from my vehicle then I have committed a violation, if I am simply transporting a loaded firearm in my vehicle then I should not be automatically assumed to be guilty of hunting from a vehicle anymore than you hunting with dogs or having a dog box in your truck makes you a tresspassing POS.

Joe

background info: Phillip originally called me to ask for more details about a chesterfield county ordinance that restricts the possession of a firearm while hunting within 100yds of a property line of a county school or park. I lease hunting property that this ordinance affects but felt the greater good would come from going after the authorization of the no loaded long gun in a vehicle ordinace. this ordinace has the potential to affect more hunters and gunowners and is a tack on offense if the CPO/trooper/deputy stops you for something else. This demostrates to me VCDL's support of hunters as they listened to this particular hunter. I have also been at BOS meetings where VCDL has supported sporting clay ranges in Goochland and fluvanna.

Last edited:

Marco

Bumping just to put back on the front page, THE HUNTING BILLS ARE IMPORTANT as well.

Sad that we aren't seeing more HUNTING BILLS on the VCDL legislative tracker.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is the best SH bill yet.

SB154 - Private Property Sunday HuntingSenate Bill 154 - Private property freedom to choose to hunt on Sunday.

Hunting on Sundays. Allows hunting on Sundays under certain circumstances. A person may hunt waterfowl, subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and a landowner and his immediate family or a person with written permission may hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, if they hunt on the landowner's property. However, the aforementioned hunting activities cannot occur within 200 yards of a house of worship. The bill prohibits the hunting of deer with dogs on Sunday.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is the best SH bill yet.

SB154 - Private Property Sunday HuntingSenate Bill 154 - Private property freedom to choose to hunt on Sunday.

Hunting on Sundays. Allows hunting on Sundays under certain circumstances. A person may hunt waterfowl, subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and a landowner and his immediate family or a person with written permission may hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, if they hunt on the landowner's property. However, the aforementioned hunting activities cannot occur within 200 yards of a house of worship. The bill prohibits the hunting of deer with dogs on Sunday.
Last of the "Blue" Laws.....Never on a Sunday, a Sunday.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HLhfB8znA

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While I've given up on trying to bring gun owners together and have no illusions of seeing a VCDL presence, I'll post this as the last hunting bill alert.

House Bill 1237 to repeal the ban on Sunday Hunting in Virginia will be heard THIS WEDNESDAY, January 22nd at 8:30 AM in the Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources Committee.
We need your help!

The Delegates below that make up the Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resources committee need to hear from supporters before the committee hearing on Wednesday.
The General Assembly is open today - if you live or hunt in any of these localities, please call your legislator as soon as possible!

This is an important bill introduced by Delegate Gilbert and even though it doesn't exclude dog hunters which is my preference, I have to admit it's a fair bill to everyone and typical of Gilbert.

HB 1237 Hunting on Sundays.
C. Todd Gilbert | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications House Minutes Senate Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Hunting on Sundays. Allows hunting on Sundays under certain circumstances. A person may hunt waterfowl, subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and a landowner and his immediate family or a person with written permission may hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, if they hunt on the landowner's property. However, the aforementioned hunting activities cannot occur within 200 yards of a house of worship. The bill prohibits the hunting of deer with dogs on Sunday.Full text:
01/17/14 House: Presented and ordered printed 14102270D pdf

01/17/14 House: Presented and ordered printed 14102270D
01/17/14 House: Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I had the chance to speak with my delegate in person yesterday (Lobby Day) and she's been a pretty reliable firearm and self-defense voter, so we didn't go over the specifics of the VCDL list. After chatting about various things about the Lynchburg area she asked if there was a particular concern I had that we hadn't discussed or that wasn't specifically on the VCDL list. I said "yes" and proceeded to discuss that current Virginia law doesn't provide a way for those too young to have a CHP or those who simply don't want a CHP to have a useful sidearm ready for self protection when hunting during the non-gun hunting seasons. Her aid spoke up and noted that this is a significant concern not just for bear or miscreants in the woods, but also due to the growth of wild boars in Virginia. I noted that even the ability to carry a black powder handgun would be an improvement, but the ability to carry a modern sidearm would be even better. She seemed receptive to the idea and due to circumstances around her own land appeared to understand the concern. I don't know if the conversation will have had any effect for this legislative session, but at the least the seed has been planted.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
VaHDA has been doing the Death Star routine in the House AG Sub Committee for years.. Lee Ware kills every Sunday Hunting bill that comes in...Same thing Saslaw did with gun bills.

This one is getting steam powered and going to the full committee instead of the sub where I think it will pass.
Now those miserable dog hunters are crying foul.

VaHDA Alert!!!!!!
The VaHDA has always stood in the face of the fiercest battles to defend our rights to hunt with dogs in Virginia. Many times we have found it necessary to call on you for help in manning the phones and e mails to contact state senators or house representatives to show them how we felt on various bills. On Friday, Jan- 17, in the closing hours of the last day, House Bill 1237 was submitted that will legalize Sunday Hunting in Virginia. There is obviously powers at work behind the scene that is cir***venting the established process of government. The bill should have gone to the Natural Resource Committee of the House but that committee is going to by-passed and HB1237 is going straight to the full House committee. The bill comes to the floor tomorrow morning (the first day of business), if it passes the House vote; it goes to the Senate where it will be very hard to defeat. I realize that there are some that think that they want this, I strongly caution those who support this bill, “Not all things that glitter are gold” When our government must break established protocol to get bills passed into law, our system of government known as Democracy is gone. This is no different than how the Obama administration handled the health care problem and now look at what we are dealing with. Please print the list of phone numbers and call every name on the list and oppose HB 1237.
Remember – When making these calls - Be respectful.
Below is the bill as it is written, as you see: Deer hunting w/ dogs will not be allowed. We stated this two years ago, those that have pushed to legalize SH have tried to lure hound hunters in support all the while knowing that we would never be allowed to receive the privilege.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Lee Ware slipped his collar

1620704_3858658320985_1012045690_n.jpg

Repeater

Saw this in another universe:

...and from I heard, ol' Kirby Burch and the VaHDA deer doggers are all going bat sh** crazy because the bill passed 12-10.
This was their shot. Vast majority of delegates who know or care anything about the topic were in that room today, and many of them take money from either/both VaHDA and Farm Bureau who both sternly oppose any sunday activity other than retrieving their dogs from your property, when it's convenient for them. It's a "day of rest," so you just sit down and take a rest while they rut up your fields looking for the hounds they intentionally released on your property the day before. Anyway... This is a bipartisan bill with broad support from members of both parties. It's less likely to fail in front of the full House than it was today...and it didn't fail today. That being said, it ain't over.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah....I'm loving it.
Dam truck standers
dancingsmiley.gif

You did know that according to Kirby, he invented VCDL, wrote the shall issue bill and gave it to Philip. No kidding, he said that.:lol:

On a more somber note, Philip gets way too much guidance from him.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Two Sunday Hunting Speakers

[video=vimeo;84860754]http://vimeo.com/84860754[/video]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Delegate C. Matthew Fariss was schooled in the 12 commandments No Sunday Hunting

:eek:

[video=vimeo;84866012]http://vimeo.com/84866012[/video]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Burch and his thugs are trying their best to spoil the Sunday hunting bill.

Our Delegates need to hear from us.

You can cut and paste the information below in an email to your Delegate:

As my Delegate I am respectfully asking you to support HB1237 as written and passed by the House AG Committee without further amendment. The local option amendment is confusing, unmanageable and virtually unenforceable. In addition, it strips away the intent of the bill that passed, private property rights, and puts the decision back into the Governing body. The difference in hunting seasons county-to-county is already confusing enough, if local option is passed it will be a total mess. Our opposition knows it. Once again, Please support HB1237 as passed by the AG Committee.

Need your Delegates email address and contact information, you can get it below:

http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/VGAMain?openform

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since the messages are weighed, rather than considered on their merits - I participate in multiple submissions. :)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Last edited:

B. Reddy

that's a LOT of co-sponsors

/QUOTE]

Emailed my delegate. He does NOT support Sunday hunting.

What's up with all the co-sponsors?!? 34 of them?!?!

Good exchange and lots of pro- and anti- hunting stances in the comments section at Richmond Sunlight.

http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2014/hb1237/

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

/QUOTE]

Emailed my delegate. He does NOT support Sunday hunting.

What's up with all the co-sponsors?!? 34 of them?!?!

Good exchange and lots of pro- and anti- hunting stances in the comments section at Richmond Sunlight.

http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2014/hb1237/

Excuse the giggling. Gilbert just bitch slapped Morrissey over HB705:lol:

Thanks guys....this amendment to the bill (The local option amendment which is bad) was passed by for the day. It;ll come up on Monday.

What the bill does is allow private property owners to hunt on Sunday. Burch and the dog hunters asked to be exempted. Tey don't want to hunt. This was taken before the full committee because for years Lee Ware acted the same as Saslaw. He killed every Sunday hunting bill that came along...again at the dog hunters request.

It passed full committee which put the dog hunters in a panic. Since they weren't involved it's just an ego trip for Burch.

Since it passed, a desperation method would be to amend the bill to allow Counties to decide. This creates a web of different local laws just like the long gun in vehicles statute.

Bottom line....good bill, bad amendment. It needs to go to the Senate without amendments.