• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 in the chamber

Legba

imported post

squisher wrote:
HankT wrote:
squisher wrote:
I OC condition 2 with a PT92. 17+1
Does your PT92 have a decocker?
Yup, otherwise I'd be practicing the Israeli draw.

PT92 has a frame-mounted safety instead of the Beretta 92FS' slide mounted safety. Don't know if the Beretta has the decocker or not.
Yeah, the Beretta decocks when the safety is engaged. The switch only goes one way though. You can decock or engage the safety separately on the Taurus.

-ljp

unreconstructed1

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
I just switched to a new holster, so until I have a few days to make sure that this one doesn't accidentally trip the safety. by the end of this week however, yes.
just as a"nobody really probably cares, but here goes anyway"

I'm now back to carrying one in the chamber, safety on.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:
I just switched to a new holster, so until I have a few days to make sure that this one doesn't accidentally trip the safety. by the end of this week however, yes.

Well, I for one am relieved. I've spent the last week thinking, "That redneck sumbitch unreconstructed is going to get himself shot carrying around in condition 3". :p

Seriously though, glad the new holster worked out for you. New accessories are quite enjoyable!

unreconstructed1

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:

Well, I for one am relieved. I've spent the last week thinking, "That redneck sumbitch unreconstructed is going to get himself shot carrying around in condition 3". :p

Seriously though, glad the new holster worked out for you. New accessories are quite enjoyable!

I figured you had, that's why I made sure to post that as soon as I could.;)

yeah, the holster I have now works wonderfully. it's not exactly a perfect fit, but it'll definitely do till I get the vega holster

LooterShooter

imported post

Skippy wrote:
If you leave it unchambered, you can always throw the gun.

I had a moment of panic the other day. Picked up my holstered XD-45 with 1 in. I hit the retention release by accident and I watched my loaded handgun slowly fall to the floor while staring down the barrel. (at least it felt that way). It hit the hard floor and I felt myself gasp. Now, this is a new pistol, and I am under the impression that it could have been unlikely that it could have fired. Any other experiences like this? Not sure if I was just lucky.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LooterShooter wrote:
Skippy wrote:
If you leave it unchambered, you can always throw the gun.

I had a moment of panic the other day. Picked up my holstered XD-45 with 1 in. I hit the retention release by accident and I watched my loaded handgun slowly fall to the floor while staring down the barrel. (at least it felt that way). It hit the hard floor and I felt myself gasp. Now, this is a new pistol, and I am under the impression that it could have been unlikely that it could have fired. Any other experiences like this? Not sure if I was just lucky.
The XDs, like several other modern semi-auto handguns, has a striker (firing pin) block that is released by pulling the trigger. The trigger is further connected to the backstrap safety. Unless the backstrap safety is depressed the trigger cannot release the striker block. In other words, like several other modern firearms such as the Glocks and 80 series 1911s, it is nigh on impossible to accidentally discharge the firearm by just dropping it. The XDs and Glocks have had this proven time and again by drops from several story heights onto various pavement and soil surfaces. The Sigs in use by several gov't agencies have passed tests where they are thrown and dropped from various distances onto various surfaces without discharging.

So with that particular pistol you were in little danger of being the victim of an AD. However, as anything mechanical can and will fail at some point, it is obviously a very dangerous and foolish idea to tempt fate by intentionally performing such a test. Also, as a forum member's AD and gunshot wound from a similar incident shows, not every modern handgun has such safety features.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stanicus wrote:
Hello all. New to the board, CC for last 6 years. I recently traded my Ruger sp101 in on a Walther PPK (always wanted one) for easier concealment. Since I am going from a revolver to a semi-automatic pistol, I have an interesting quandary. The question is to chamber or not to chamber the first round. I am looking for the general opinion of what others are doing. Thanks for your input.
SNIP

Always, in both my SW1911 and Glock.

ETA: Duplicate Thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7151.html

darthmord

imported post

I'm always hesitant about one in the chamber for my MP9. The lack of a switch safety concerns me. The trigger safety (such as it is)gives me the impression it isa bit flaky and unreliable. The rest of my firearms all have one in the chamber.

Then again, I also have children in my house. While they respect my firearms (& my wife's) and don't touch them without supervision, I would rather not take the chance of a grevious accident.

partemisio

imported post

darthmord wrote:
I'm always hesitant about one in the chamber for my MP9. The lack of a switch safety concerns me. The trigger safety (such as it is)gives me the impression it isa bit flaky and unreliable.
People have asked me about this. Honestly, your finger is going to be the only one touching the trigger. My holster covers the trigger and trigger guard. So there is no worry of snagging the trigger on anything and having it go off. No thumb safety is better for some people. If some people had to use the gun, they might be in too much of a panic to remember to put the safety on fire. I have heard of that happening even with military personnel.

The way I see it, if you are not confident enough to have one in the chamber because of having only a trigger safety, then you don't trust yourself.

Of course, don't let anybody handle the gun with one in the chamber unless it is pointed down range though.

lemover

imported post

CC Walther P99, 15+1, home-made IWB holster (right front hip), 9MM factory loads. Just received from S&W after fixin a warrenty recoil issue. Had 1 FTFire that was my fault. Otherwise no issues.

New to Forum in Wichita, KS

I too like the :celebrate

younggun20

I always carry with one in the tube. Why not, most if not all of todays modern handguns are safe enough to so either by a manual safety multiple internal safteys of a heavy DA trigger

simmonsjoe

CC Walther P99, 15+1, home-made IWB holster (right front hip), 9MM factory loads. Just received from S&W after fixin a warrenty recoil issue. Had 1 FTFire that was my fault. Otherwise no issues.

New to Forum in Wichita, KS

I too like the :celebrate

Oh wow. I would really like a P99AS. Its pricey though. I think I am going to trade my Taurus Pt1911 towards the Glock 19 Gen4 when it hits shelves instead.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Oh wow. I would really like a P99AS. Its pricey though. I think I am going to trade my Taurus Pt1911 towards the Glock 19 Gen4 when it hits shelves instead.

May I suggest another option for you since you like the Walther P99 series? The Glock 19 is a fine piece and has certainly proven its use for all markets. But you might want to look at the M&P Smith and Wesson series of pistols. They are very similar to the Walther P99's with excellent ergonomics.

The Glock 19 or the M&P 9mm, or even an XD9, are all worth your consideration.

Interceptor_Knight

Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Not even close. If the scenerio is that dire, you are already receiving incoming fire and you have little chance without seeking cover anyway. Drawing your weapon is your last line of defense, not your first. If you train like you plan to fight in a crisis, condition 3 is not a serious handicap. ;)

The question is to chamber or not to chamber the first round. I am looking for the general opinion of what others are doing. Thanks for your input..
If I am going to be at a location for an extended period of time and the area is not crowded, I will chamber a round. If the area is crowded I stick with Condition 3 as it attracts less attention to the fact of my carrying.

Last edited: