• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Picnic in Hillsboro Oregon Saturday, August 9th

ccw9mm

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
Anything in particular I should know about carrying, I'm assuming I need no permit. loaded?
Read up on ORS 166.170, 166.173, 166.250 and 166.370 specifically. Cover all of 166, of course, to know the deal. 166.262 essentially says the difference between carrying with and without a CHL, meaning that CHL exempts you from basic "violations" of 166.250 and 166.370 from mere carrying of a loaded firearm.

Loaded Firearm City Bans thread.

Open Carry / Loaded Gun thread.

NRA ILA summary on Oregon carry of firearms.

Pamphlet on Oregon's carry laws that related to open carry, summarized by a few folks on opencarry.com .

Beyond the list of cities that have loaded firearm bans, at least in certain places, I only know of Clackamas. Code 6.06.06.03 bans "loaded firearms" in "any park."

Basically: If carrying without a CHL in a place that bans carry or concealed carry of a "loaded firearm," then you should be able to openly carry it unloaded and with the magazine not attached to the firearm or holster that's carrying the firearm. (Avoiding this silly patchwork is why CHL is nice, of course.)

I'm no OC expert, so read read read.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hello all. A little glitch in Saturday's plans. Setivasicwood was going to bring a gas grill for the BBQ, but found out he has to work Saturday due to unforseen circumstances. He was going to bring a propane BBQ grill.

Does someone else have a reasonably portable BBQ grill they can bring? I have one at my house nearby, but it is a heavy stainless steel beast that I can't handle by myself. Please PM me if you can help out or we will have to wait until a few folks show up to help move my grill.

Cremator75

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
I just purchased my weapon and have no holster.
Unless anybody here has a holster they are willing to sell that would be excellent for an H&K USP .45 Standard Fullsize, I doubt that I'll be bringing the weapon. (...as much as I really would like to.)

No requirement to carry. If you can't, just show up. My wife will most likely be there gun free to.

CharlesAFerg

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
imported post

Any news on the grill?
If we must, I'll help out with your grill.

Cougfan2 wrote:
Hello all. A little glitch in Saturday's plans. Setivasicwood was going to bring a gas grill for the BBQ, but found out he has to work Saturday due to unforseen circumstances. He was going to bring a propane BBQ grill.

Does someone else have a reasonably portable BBQ grill they can bring? I have one at my house nearby, but it is a heavy stainless steel beast that I can't handle by myself. Please PM me if you can help out or we will have to wait until a few folks show up to help move my grill.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Charles, no volunteers on the grill yet, so if no one pops up I will appreciate the help. We can probably wait until a few people show up as we probably won't start cooking until a little after 11:00 AM.

Steve

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The grill issue is solved! Setivasicwood can come to the picnic after all. Doesn't have to work Saturday so will be there with his BBQ. Remember, we have the shelter from 9:30AM until 2:00 PM so show up early to socialize and bring an appetite.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Cremator75

imported post

Can I get some details as to where in the park this will be, or will it be visible from the parking lot. Also is there an updated list of what is left to bring so I can help out? I will probably be there around 11:00am, and I am assuming it's "bring your own beef".

CharlesAFerg

imported post

I'll try to have an earlier morning PT and get there by 9:30. I've got lots of questions, and would like to get to know all you guys. :cool:

PS- I bought a brown Galco "Concealable" holster for the USP .45 earlier today.
:celebrate = pretty much describes me.
Lightning Arms Sports FTW, seriously.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Argh! - FYI local guys, the Browns Camp Quarry is closed... Figured that out the hard way...

Untitled-1-4.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Phssthpok

imported post

Double argh!!

The park selected for the meet is within the 1000' zone of a school.

This means that those of us who DO NOT have an Oregon CPL cannot even POSESS a firearm at the park.

Might I suggest a change of venue to Noble Woods Park just to the west on Baseline Road. Forty acres of cool trees and picnic areas and outside of any school-zones.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Sounds good, I second that...

Also, does anybody have a link so I can read up on school proximity restrictions with and without a CHL...?

Phssthpok wrote:
Double argh!!

This means that those of us who DO NOT have an Oregon CPL cannot even POSESS a firearm at the park.

Might I suggest a change of venue to Noble Woods Park just to the west on Baseline Road. Forty acres of cool trees and picnic areas and outside of any school-zones.

Cremator75

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Double argh!!

Might want to send out mass PM's and emails in case people don't check back here first. I will check before I leave to see if things have changed or not.

Cremator75

imported post

I google mapped the first park address, 4400 NW 229th Ave., Hillsboro, OR 97124, but I don't see a park there. It just plots me to the middle of an intersection. I did find the second one. Either way I will be there or there.[font="Arial-Bold+2"]
[/font]

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
I google mapped the first park address, 4400 NW 229th Ave., Hillsboro, OR 97124, but I don't see a park there. It just plots me to the middle of an intersection. I did find the second one. Either way I will be there or there.[font="Arial-Bold+2"]
[/font]

That's the city park office address, because you took it form the application - I did the same thing. lol
Reedville Park was the original meeting location, but this has since been changed to noble woods.

Reedville Park
http://www.ci.hillsboro.or.us/ParksRec/ParksFacilities/ReedVilleCreek.aspx
MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Reedville+park+oregon&sll=45.519952,-122.918005&sspn=0.051659,0.104713&ie=UTF8&ll=45.507415,-122.90092&spn=0.012918,0.026178&z=16

Noble Woods Park (NEW MEET LOCATION)
http://www.ci.hillsboro.or.us/ParksRec/ParksFacilities/NobleWoodsPark.aspx
MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=Noble+Woods+Park+oregon&fb=1&cid=12831272800051925027&li=lmd&z=14&iwloc=A

ANOTHER POTENTIAL LOCATION - Rood Bridge Park
http://www.ci.hillsboro.or.us/ParksRec/ParksFacilities/Rood_Bridge_Park.aspx
MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=+%09++4000+SE+Rood+Bridge+Rd++Hillsboro,+OR+97123+&sll=45.491589,-122.950948&sspn=0.00323,0.006545&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Phssthpok

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
[/font]

That address is for the Parks Department, NOT the park in question. The original park selected is at teh intersection of Cor. Pass Rd, and Frances St. some ways SOUTH of that intersection ( 7500 SE Frances St, Hillsboro, OR 97123) . The School is across the street to the north of the park.

Phssthpok

imported post

Waiting to hear from Cougfan or Setiva, but barring that Grishnav and I have decided to stake a spot at the 'back-up' park and redirect folks as the arrive. Thinking about posting a sign at the first park too so nobody has to miss out on the fun by waiting around for folks to show.