• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Picnic in Hillsboro Oregon Saturday, August 9th

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Reply to all, I am unaware of any Oregon regulations that restrict the right of open carry within 1,000 yards of a school for persons without a CHL. If such laws exist, please point me to them via a web link!!!

The Noble Woods alternative is certainly acceptable, but I am not sure it is necessary. I will look forward to further input.

Cremator75

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
Should we postpone and regroup? Especially with it looking like rain Sat.
I think the original park is a covered area. High of 71 with a 30% chance of showers at a covered area is fine with me.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I want to proceed. Unless someone can point me to solid info that open carry is restricted for non CHL holders within 1,000 yds of a school I am good to go. However, I will defer to the larger group. If we would like to defer and reset the event, I have no problem with that, but I need to hear RIGHT NOW!!!
If anyone has info they can point me to, please call me at (503)544-8180.

Steve

Daryl

imported post

I am OK with either location. I haven't read anything about not having firearms within 1000' of a school either.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I briefly searched and found this regarding 1000 feet shool grounds and guns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affectsinterstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an
individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify
that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the
individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining
access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school
authorities.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

As far as I know, the park is not a school zone. It is adjacent to a school zone, but the park and shelter is not in a school zone. Unless anyone can point to an Oregon legal statute stating otherwise, I say PARTY ON GARTH!!!

Daryl

imported post

I didn't see anything there that would prohibit us from that city park, so I say PARTY ON, WAYNE!

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I think I'll have the "creamofsumyungguy". :lol: See you there. :celebrate

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

No worries. I just couldn't resist the "Wayne's World" reference!!!

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You're just a pup! :lol: This coming from a certifialble "old fart" I'm signing off until about 7:00 AM tomorrow.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

I just checked and indeed the park is within the 1000' school zone. It's not a State law but rather a Federal law.

While you can carry on school grounds with a CHL you must do so conceled. Open carry is banned at all times (unless your a LEO)

How much of an issue is it when then school is closed and no students are present i.e. summer break and during a weekend?

ccw9mm

imported post

A suggestion has been made for possible relocation just up the road (1.5mi northwest, on the south side of Basline Rd., just west of 231st) to Noble Woods Park, which is not within a school zone.

If it turns out we do relocate, I will bring several copies of a notice/map to post at the existing Reedville Creek Park location, for folks who come a bit later. The new spot won't have the shelter/tables reserved, which might be a pain with the drizzle if someone else has it reserved.

Once Cougfan2 wakes up, we'll review and post the "solution" here. Likely, PM folks as well, if the venue is changing.

Phssthpok

imported post

Sorry I didn't reply sooner...I went to bed early last night.

As stated before the restriction isn't Sate level, it's Federal:

18 USC § 922 Unlawful acts

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
18 USC § 921 Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter—

(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

I'm going to wait till around 7 to get in touch with Cougfan and see for sure what's up given that we probbably won't have a claim on the picnic shelter in the other park, and it's currently raining...

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hello all. I kind of feel like an idiot here. :banghead: I checked state and local law, but didn't even think about Federal law. Apparently it is unlawful to posess a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school! As it stands we still plan to meet at Reedville Creek, but only CHL holders will be able to carry and only concealed.

As a second option, we may have someone stake out Noble Woods Park off of Baseline in Hillsboro if we decide we have to relocate at the last minute. It's only 10 minutes away.

My sincere apologies for any inconveniences this may cause to anyone. If you have any questions please call me on my cell.

Cell: (503)544-8180

Steve :cry:

grishnav

imported post

Just as an aside, I don't see where in the federal law concealed carry is required. I seem to vaguely recall some hooplaw that Lars generated way back when because he OCed into his sons school and was repeated kicked out and/or arrested (but never successfully prosecuted).

His efforts didn't get the signs down, however.

Anyway, I'll email OFF about it when we get done with the picnic and try to find a definitive answer on that one.

See you all there!