• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Picnic in Hillsboro Oregon Saturday, August 9th

greenspan

imported post

What a dumb ass law,

well its 8 am the morning of the picnic I assume most are still coming at the backup location, maybe someone can get there first claim a spot and put up a sign or something. Though we might just notice the guys with the guns

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

All, reading this I would think we should be OK at Reedville Creek as we are not affecting Interstate or foreign commerce, but let's discuss when we all get there.

greenspan

imported post

Cougfan2 wrote:
(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

All, reading this I would think we should be OK at Reedville Creek as we are not affecting Interstate or affecting Interstate or foreign commerce, but let's discuss when we all get there.

Every Firearm has moved in interstate or foreign commerce. It would be a great test case, as that is complete BS use of the so called interstate commerce clasue. But I don't recomend becoming a test case.

Oh, and last night was FUBAR so I might bring a different treat instead of brownies.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

So we will meet at Reedville Creek until about 10:00 AM and then make a decision if we should relocate to Noble Woods. If someone would go stake out some picnic tables at Noble Woods it would be appreciated. Please call me if you are up for this.

Cell: 503-544-8180

Steve

ccw9mm

imported post

:exclaim:

I'll be at the Noble Woods Park tables by ~9:20am or so.

Basic directions, from Reedville Creek Park:

1. North on Cornelius Pass Rd. to Baseline Rd.

2. LT on Baseline Rd. to Borwick Rd., just past the Shell gas station.

3. At end of Borwick Rd., RT on 231st, then look for the park sign (on left).

boom

imported post

mouth watering here thinking about those burgers and brats

looking forward to hear how it all came off

ccw9mm

imported post

Thanks, all!

It was good to meet everyone. Lots of new faces, with spouses and kids.

The brats, burgers and steaks were great. Thanks to SetivaSicWood for the propane grill. Lots of salads, trimmings, a cake and other munchies. No lack of things to nibble on.

Other than a few comments from passers-by, it was uneventful. As it should be. Nobody spontaneously combusted. The children playing nearby went on with their fun. Nobody was the worse for wear.

Am looking forward to the next gathering.

- Michael

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

My personal thanks to everyone who attended. It was a great uneventful opportunity to share some fellowship with like minded individuals.

Remember the guy who looked like Billy Gibbons from ZZTop? As I was getting into my truck, he and his son, who was there with his family approached me and asked if this was an organized event that we did every month. I responded it was just a picnic of people who all happen to be a member of OpenCarry.org who have made the decision to take personal responsibity for our own and our families safety. They were both nodding in approval and the ZZTop guy had actualy googled OpenCarry.org on his cell phone as he had seen the sign that my wife made. As I was leaving he said "yeah, you were exercising your rights". :lol:

The only negative aspect was my failure to check Federal law under the BS commerce act restrictions about carrying a firearm within 1K feet of a school. Won't make that mistake again, but it was a good learning experience.

My take aways:

1. Organization and planning are everything.

2. I think the sign really helped as some people came by giving us the hard eye, but they did notice the sign. I have no proof, but I think this might have averted some potential calls to the POPO's.

3. Just be yourselves. No one came with an in your face attitude to the other people in the park, but neith did we hide the fact that we were carrying.

All in all, a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. :celebrate

Phssthpok

imported post

We got it figgered out Lonnie. Was just a simple misperception of the wording. Upon further (more objective) reading, we came to a consensus that CC was NOT required.....which is why everyone there (except those of us without an Oregon CHL:cry:) was OC the whole time.

johnrogersmith

imported post

Hi - good time at the bbq but wanted to bring up an issue. these things are always lotsa fun, but there needs to be absolutely no guns outside of holsters period. safe, legal or not. part the point of what were doing is to show the general public that we are just regular folks and the gun is no bigger a deal than a cell phone. If someone were to have noticed at any point that could have led to a call to the police, which sadly would have been justified.

discuss

Cremator75

imported post

If somebody drew their weapon, I missed it. I thought everyone was very professional. However I do agree that one should never unholster a gun in public unless they need to use it.

johnrogersmith

imported post

I don't know if drew would be the way to say it, but I am sayin that any and all guns during a public event should be in one place and one only and thats in a holster.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I have to agree. I was a little nervous when the 5.7 FN was brought out and people were looking at it. Legal or not, this would have made it easier for the police to hassle us, that is if they showed up. Leave them in the holsters folks. The place to show off your new piece is on the range or in private, not at an OC picnic.

I'll admit, I even looked at it, but upon further thought, it's just not a good idea.

grishnav

imported post

Cougfan2 wrote:
I have to agree. I was a little nervous when the 5.7 FN was brought out and people were looking at it. Legal or not, this would have made it easier for the police to hassle us, that is if they showed up. Leave them in the holsters folks. The place to show off your new piece is on the range or in private, not at an OC picnic.

I'll admit, I even looked at it, but upon further thought, it's just not a good idea.
I admit, I was a bit uneasy about it to, initially.

And I also ended up looking at it, After I found out it was a 5.7, I really wanted to see it. :p

However, I will note that he didn't draw it. It was in a gun case, unloaded (loaded mag seperated from firearm) and unchambered in his car, when somebody asked him to see it. He broght it over to show it, and afterwards, that's when it was finally joined with a mag (still unchambered) and holstered it as a second OC piece. :)