• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Picnic in Mason County, August 31st

Bear 45/70

imported post

The food thing will be the same as the Kitsap picnic. Bring you own meat choice for you and yours and bring a salad, chips and dip, dessert (Special Brownies!!!!!), etc to share with others.

just_a_car

imported post

Contemplating it....

What's odd is that it might actually be cheaper (not faster, but cheaper) for me to drive all the way down to Tacoma, across the bridge and up to Hood Canal than taking the ferry in Edmonds over to Kingston and over to Hood Canal. I lose a huge chunk of time, pay a $4 toll on the way back and use more gas, but with the cost of the ferry, it is actually likely cheaper to drive it all.... That's just dumb.

compmanio365

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Contemplating it....

What's odd is that it might actually be cheaper (not faster, but cheaper) for me to drive all the way down to Tacoma, across the bridge and up to Hood Canal than taking the ferry in Edmonds over to Kingston and over to Hood Canal. I lose a huge chunk of time, pay a $4 toll on the way back and use more gas, but with the cost of the ferry, it is actually likely cheaper to drive it all.... That's just dumb.
JAC, if you make it down to Tacoma, you can carpool with me the rest of the way......I'm going anyways, might as well load up the car.......

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Contemplating it....

The park is down on the South Shore of Hood Canal and you won't go across the bridge. From Kingston south on Hwy 307 (Bond Road) to Poulsbo the south on Hwy 3 to Gorst. Stay on Hwy3 until just past Belfair and right onto Hwy 106 and then to the Park. Maybe you can get one of the Kitsap guys to meet you in Kingston and give you a ride. Then you could walk on the ferry and even if you give him gas money you will be ahead.

kparker

imported post

JAC,

Depending on how busy the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is, it might not be any slower to drive all the way, though of course (at least in my book) time spent parked in the ferry line and on the ferry is a lot more relaxing than being behind the wheel on I-5. Plus you get a ferry ride out of the deal! :)

Yahoo map times show only a 22 minute difference between a generic Edmonds - Belfair drive vs Kingston - Belfair plus the ~30 minute crossing time. So if you have to arrive more than 22 minutes ahead of sailing time...

Bear 45/70

imported post

The park has asalt water beach with swimming. I think clamsdigging and oyster pickingare open (requires a license)and there is a creek. There is fishing off the docks and beachs andthere are sea run cuthroat trout off the park that can be caught from the beach. There is also a nice boat ramp at the park.

kparker

imported post

Last time I was at Twanoh was for a little company picnic. My then-business partner, who is an absolute salt-water-fishing maniac, came early and put out his crab pots. I have no idea if crabbing is open now or not, but if so...

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:
Last time I was at Twanoh was for a little company picnic. My then-business partner, who is an absolute salt-water-fishing maniac, came early and put out his crab pots. I have no idea if crabbing is open now or not, but if so...

If you have crab pots and a license you can crab off the docks. Best results is setting pots from a boat in deeper water. Both my boats have issues right now (parts for old motors can be an issue)so I won't have one there. There is a major King salmon run going here right now but the fish are going into the Skokomish and Tahuya Rivers south of the park.

There is also overnight camping available at the park.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:
If you have crab pots and a license you can crab off the docks. Best results is setting pots from a boat in deeper water. Both my boats have issues right now (parts for old motors can be an issue)so I won't have one there. There is a major King salmon run going here right now but the fish are going into the Skokomish and Tahuya Rivers south of the park.
Not on the day of the picnic Bear. Sundays are closed to crabbing in Hood Canal.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:
Not on the day of the picnic Bear. Sundays are closed to crabbing in Hood Canal.
You can see how often I crab anymore. I haven't dropped a crab pot in 15 years. Back then you could crab 24/7. I guess the indians wanted more crabs.
rolleyes.gif

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:
You can see how often I crab anymore. I haven't dropped a crab pot in 15 years. Back then you could crab 24/7. I guess the indians wanted more crabs.
rolleyes.gif

Suprise, Suprise, Eh.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:
rolleyes.gif

Suprise, Suprise, Eh.
Well, not really . With the Washington State Fish and Wildlife's "give them anything" attitude, nothing surprises me in that arena anymore.