• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Panic Buying

bluer1

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Ok, I'm up late and feeling goofy. Just had to bust your chops on that one! :p
You mean you needed this?:

-adamsesq
You guys have no idea how much people confusing those piss me off, ESPECIALLY THE MEDIA. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY SAY "Hey! Is that a 30 rd. *Banana CLIP*?"

Just so you know I think I'm going to make a damn T-shirt out of that picture.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

There are a lot of words and terms that have passed into the common vernacular that one could pick out and get pedantic about. Unless one has perfect grammar, spelling, and never misuses a word, it would seem a waste of time to get "pissed off" about "clip vs magazine", particularly when I hear experts using the terms interchangably often enough. When security experts (people who really do shoot for a living, protect other people for a living, and have been trained in the various special forces branches of several countries) can gently kid each other about "clip vs magazine" or ruefully or disparagingly shrug their shoulders about the difference being pointed out, I think the rest of us can give it a rest.

I bet even Bear .45/70's many SEAL friends will occasionally slip.

Sure, it's sloppy terminology, but it doesn't hurt anything. In a news article, picking that particular slip to bitch about makes no sense and loses the attention of people who might otherwise be educated about the other displays of ignorance, such as "high powered" .22s, "armour piercing" rifle rounds,"cop killer" bullets, etc.

Richard6218

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
There are a lot of words and terms that have passed into the common vernacular that one could pick out and get pedantic about. Unless one has perfect grammar, spelling, and never misuses a word, it would seem a waste of time to get "pissed off" about "clip vs magazine", particularly when I hear experts using the terms interchangably often enough. When security experts (people who really do shoot for a living, protect other people for a living, and have been trained in the various special forces branches of several countries) can gently kid each other about "clip vs magazine" or ruefully or disparagingly shrug their shoulders about the difference being pointed out, I think the rest of us can give it a rest.

I bet even Bear .45/70's many SEAL friends will occasionally slip.

Sure, it's sloppy terminology, but it doesn't hurt anything. In a news article, picking that particular slip to bitch about makes no sense and loses the attention of people who might otherwise be educated about the other displays of ignorance, such as "high powered" .22s, "armour piercing" rifle rounds,"cop killer" bullets, etc.
I think you have hit on something about the common vernacular. Our language is a constantly evolving thing, and much of what changes comes from intellectual laziness. It's easier to say "clip" than "mag-a-zine".

tricityguy

imported post

AR's are clip fed?
No, you're right, I should have said magazine.

It is dumb and rude after the election.
That's OK - I take no offense to your opinion. Let's wait and see how his policies play out. If he surprises all of us and becomes a decent president, heck, if he's even similar to Bill Clinton, I'll start using his real name. If he passes the "fairness" doctrine, passes more anti-gun laws, and mobilizes his 250,000 strong army against the citizens of this great country, I'm going to keep calling him Osama. If he goes for a gun grab and incites a civil war, you'll all start calling him Osama. Until he proves himself either way, I'll call him one or the other depending on my mood.

bluer1

imported post

Maybe it just annoys me more than most because I work at a range and hear it all the time. Also when I was in the military, you get slapped upside the head for saying such things. So it might be a built in psychological thing for me.

Mainsail

imported post

In a desperate attempt to drag this back on topic, let me mention that I’ll be stopping by Mary’s this afternoon to return Dan’s bore-sighter and see what, if anything, is left. I was at Sportsman’s in Fed Way earlier and the .223 is mostly gone. I completely forgot to look at the black rifle section to see if there were any darkening the racks, sorry.

Mainsail

imported post

I stopped by Marys, Dan had five or six lowers left, and someone came in and bought three of them. He had a case full of PMags last friday, those are all gone.

David.Car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I stopped by Marys, Dan had five or six lowers left, and someone came in and bought three of them. He had a case full of PMags last friday, those are all gone.
Ordered my PMAGS and .223 on the 2cd. My ammo will just be arriving this coming friday (according to UPS tracking) and my mags won't ship for another week... But at least the PMAGS only came out to 12 bucks each after shipping.

shad0wfax

imported post

I have 9 high capacity mags for my BUG liberal-pisser-offer and 4 high capacity mags for my LBUG (little blackugly gun) liberal-pisser-offer. I wish I had a few dozen more BUGS.

I was telling some friends about 2 weeks before the election that if I had the money I'd buy half-a-dozen (or more) AR's in preparation for the panic-buying. I even encouraged a few folks that did have the money to do so. Sadly, I didn't have the money and the folks who did, didn't actually spend it...

Now I'm enjoying/hating saying "I told you so." :?

David.Car

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
I was telling some friends about 2 weeks before the election that if I had the money I'd buy half-a-dozen (or more) AR's in preparation for the panic-buying. I even encouraged a few folks that did have the money to do so. Sadly, I didn't have the money and the folks who did, didn't actually spend it...
Should have taken out a loan... I was thinking about it. Could have bought Colt 6920's for $1,200 before election day, now they are being sold for up to 1,600...

Richard6218

imported post

David.Car wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
Should have taken out a loan... I was thinking about it. Could have bought Colt 6920's for $1,200 before election day, now they are being sold for up to 1,600...
Forget about the loan. T Boone Pickens couldn't even get financing for his wind farm project

tricityguy

imported post

You can get loans. Money is not as tight as certain people like to claim. I could get a mortgage, auto loan, personal cash loan, really any type of loan, today, without issue. The only people who can't get loans are those with crappy credit, existing debt and insufficient down payment... in other words, people who have no business borrowing money in the first place.

Richard6218

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
You can get loans. Money is not as tight as certain people like to claim. I could get a mortgage, auto loan, personal cash loan, really any type of loan, today, without issue. The only people who can't get loans are those with crappy credit, existing debt and insufficient down payment... in other words, people who have no business borrowing money in the first place.
Pickens said he first proposed 20% down --- no go. He bumped that up to 30% ---still no go. Thirty percent down from a guy like Pickens seems pretty substantial to me. I can't imagine any reason for them to turn him down unless they just don't want to make loans, period.

tricityguy

imported post

I was talking about loans sized for us little people.:) I don't know anything about the state of the economy in regards to getting loans for multi-million dollar projects... Sounds like it's not good in that department.

Richard6218

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
I was talking about loans sized for us little people.:) I don't know anything about the state of the economy in regards to getting loans for multi-million dollar projects... Sounds like it's not good in that department.
Exactly my point. If Pickens can't get financing it sure doesn't look good for the rest of us. :(

shad0wfax

imported post

David.Car wrote:

Trust me, I thouht about it. I was very tempted to borrow just under $10,000 and buy 8 Colt AR-15's specifically. I could have had the loan paid off and turned a $3,000+ profit in less than 3 weeks.

The only thing that stopped me from doing so was the concern that I could be considered running a business of selling firearms without an FFL. (Even though in WA we can conduct private party transactions lawfully without paperwork, provided we have no reason to suspect the buye is inelligible to purchase...)

The fact is, I don't know the law well enough to dabble in firearms sales as private transactions of that volume. (Yes, it's a low volume for a dealer, but for a private person, that could raise flags of alarm at the ATF.)

FogRider

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Trust me, I thouht about it. I was very tempted to borrow just under $10,000 and buy 8 Colt AR-15's specifically. I could have had the loan paid off and turned a $3,000+ profit in less than 3 weeks.

The only thing that stopped me from doing so was the concern that I could be considered running a business of selling firearms without an FFL. (Even though in WA we can conduct private party transactions lawfully without paperwork, provided we have no reason to suspect the buye is inelligible to purchase...)

The fact is, I don't know the law well enough to dabble in firearms sales as private transactions of that volume. (Yes, it's a low volume for a dealer, but for a private person, that could raise flags of alarm at the ATF.)
I think your concerns are probably valid. It'd be hard to convince anyone you weren't intending to deal if you take a loan out on two dozen guns only to turn around and sell them all.

shad0wfax

imported post

FogRider wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
I think your concerns are probably valid. It'd be hard to convince anyone you weren't intending to deal if you take a loan out on two dozen guns only to turn around and sell them all.
I always conduct all of my business completely above board because I'm a stickler for complying with the law. When I am not sure of the law, I err on the side of caution.

Speaking of flags and alarms, I just found out that NICS has me in a "delayed" status now on my most recent purchase. Apparently my caution was a good thing. I'm sure the only reason for the NICS delay is the huge volume of sales they're getting right now, but if I had gone and bought 8 AR's, I'd be worried about the concerns I mentioned above.