• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Policy Change?

Floor Walker

imported post

Carried for 2 years on a daily basis (XD subcompact .40 s&w) until moving to MD a year ago. Moving to VA in a few weeks and will be rearming shortly after moving there.

Been a huge proponant of opencarry and rkba in general for awhile.

Also happen to like my emplorer and take offense when people that work there give it a bad name.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Floor Walker wrote:
Carried for 2 years on a daily basis (XD subcompact .40 s&w) until moving to MD a year ago. Moving to VA in a few weeks and will be rearming shortly after moving there.

Also happen to like my emplorer and take offense when people that work there give it a bad name.
so..... I'm confused. Which is it? XD or S&W?

Bubba Ron

imported post

Floor Walker wrote:
Moving to VA in a few weeks and will be rearming shortly after moving there.
What general area in VA?You will love our Commonwealth (especially compared to MD) - welcome to freedom!!!

MatieA

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:

so..... I'm confused. Which is it? XD or S&W?
Think about it an XD .40s&w

Floor Walker

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
S&W a specification of the round? (honest question)
That's how I've always seen it noted. i.e. .45 ACP vs .45 GAP. .40 S&W. Not that there are any other .40 calibers out there that I know of.

Floor Walker

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Floor Walker wrote:
Moving to VA in a few weeks and will be rearming shortly after moving there.
What general area in VA?You will love our Commonwealth (especially compared to MD) - welcome to freedom!!!
Just found a really nice townhouse in Staunton.

simmonsjoe

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
.40 S&W is a shortened 10mm Auto round. Many non S&W guns that fire the round call it '40 auto' simply to avoid putting another manufacturer's name on their guns. Same as some 357SIG firearms are labeled 357 auto. Also ammo manufacturers do the same thing. Many people just say '.40 cal' It is properly a .40S&W (S&W designed it)

Also there is the 10mm and .400 Cor-Bon, both being .40cal floorwalker.

Floor Walker

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:
Also there is the 10mm and .400 Cor-Bon, both being .40cal floorwalker.
Thanks, never really considered them .40's but when you get right down to it they are aren't they?

armyman29340

imported post

I talked with a Customer Service Rep at WM's Corp. They informed me that, Nation Wide, it is Wal-Mart's Policy to follow State law on these matters because there are Valued Customers around America.

In other words, they follow the cash.

bassrocker4God04

imported post

I just checked the laws here in Va and it says that any privately owned property is subject to the owner of the property as to whether firearms can be either OC or CC. It actually says you are unable to carry when "prohibited by the owner of the property or posted as prohibited." So in this case here it can be either verbally prohibited or posted. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Okay. the OWNER OF THE PROPERTY. Most wal-marts, restaurants, bars, boutiques etc LEASE their premises. Does this mean that the pub owner down the street cannot prohibit open carry unless he posts it, seeing as how he leases the property?Places such as Springfield Mall both own AND post. But that don't make no nevermind to me. If I feel I must carry, I am gonna CC no matter what.

What we need is (and God forbid it ever happens) for someone to be greivously hurt and file a lawsuit alleging that the property owner was negligent in creating a "gun free crime zone". This lawsuit bullcrap can cut both ways, IMO....

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
But, then, this is Tennessee, where most folks don't get bent out of shape over the sight of a firearm, not even the LEO.

Here's something else for you to shew on. There is no way that Walmart can enforce a "No Firearms" policy against CC, and they know it. Not unless they want to put metal detectors and security officers with wands at every entrance. They aren't going to do that. The only thing they CAN enforce is a "No OC" policy.

I must live in a different Tennessee than you.

All Walmart has to do is post signs on the entrances (see tca 39-17-1359) and it criminalizes carry of firearms. They can call cops if they see a handgun, see someone printing, or suspect someone is carrying a firearm because of how they move or position their body.

MatieA

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
But, then, this is Tennessee, where most folks don't get bent out of shape over the sight of a firearm, not even the LEO.

Here's something else for you to shew on. There is no way that Walmart can enforce a "No Firearms" policy against CC, and they know it. Not unless they want to put metal detectors and security officers with wands at every entrance. They aren't going to do that. The only thing they CAN enforce is a "No OC" policy.

I must live in a different Tennessee than you.

All Walmart has to do is post signs on the entrances (see tca 39-17-1359) and it criminalizes carry of firearms. They can call cops if they see a handgun, see someone printing, or suspect someone is carrying a firearm because of how they move or position their body.
I'm gladI live in WY where all they could get you on is treaspassing IF you refuse to leave after being asked to. No criminal firearm charge.

chiefjason

imported post

Dec 23rd I was told I could not bring my weapon into the Granite Falls, WM. Sent an email, got a call, no real answer. Another email, no call. Called 1-800-walmart, and got a call today.

Previous to this I was told that they go by what the state or local law says. They do not post. If it's legal you can, if it's illegal you cannot. Other than that they don't seem to take a stand. I did not read all the posts, but keep pushing till you get an answer like I got.

Here is the back story.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/35645.html

Here is the resolution from today.

I had to call corporate because my last email was not responded to. I talked to the Asset Protection Mgr. at Granite Falls WM. He informed me that I should not have been told that I was not welcome in the store. He said that I and my firearm are welcome at any time. He did say that if someone complained that they may have to ask me to leave because of GATTTOTP. I asked him to look into State v Huntley because a holstered firearm is not GATTTOTP. I also pointed him to State v Kerner for OC without a permit. He said he was an ex LEO, so he was familiar with OC being legal in NC. He sounded like he was going to check in to the cases. Seems he is personally interested in firearms law.

I described the associate that confronted me. He is an assistant mgr, and he seemed surprised he would tell me that. He said he was going to personally talk with him and take care of this. I mentioned that the associate in sporting goods asked if I was looking for .40 ammo most likely because I was carrying. He got a good laugh on that.

I got an interesting answer to the WM corporate policy on firearms. Seems we may not be able to find one because he stated there is no policy. They just go by state law. I know that's pretty much what we already knew. But I figured they would actually have it in writing. Maybe they don't. Regardless, he asked me to come back and shop with them anytime.

At least I finally got someone who could definitively answer my questions, and hopefully straightened him out on GATTTOTP a bit.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you'd like to know, use Wal-Mart's Store Locator to find the address and just write 'em:

Dear Local Wal-Mart Manager:

I respectfully request clarification on your policy concerning both the open and concealed firearms carry of duly-authorized law-abiding citizens in your store.

I understand it is Wal-Mart corporate policy "to honor state laws." However, this is is meaningless as all businesses are required by state law to honor state laws, and would be unable to do business in our state if they did not.

What I would like to know, specifically, is whether you and your staff are trained to allow honest, law-abiding citizens who legally carry firearms to frequent your store, or whether you and your staff are trained to shoo these crime-deterring people from your isles?

I would much rather read your honest response than find out in person.

Thank you for your understanding and your swift response.

Sincerely,

Customer X

I would add that if you want to concealed carry into a store (and you've a CWP, of course) simply look for a "No Firearms" sign. Absent one, just do it, but ensure it remains concealed.

PS: "State Law" in Colorado allows any business to prohibit the carry of firearms, open or concealed, on their property. In think it's much the same in most states, i.e. state law doesn't restrict businesses from posting a no firearms policy. Most business are reasonable. Those which aren't, simply frequent their competitors!

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This "following state law" response is a dishonest way to do business as it truly isn't the policy of Walmart.
All businesses operating in any given state must follow state law. If they didn't, they wouldn't be allowed to do business in that state! At the very least, one could take them to court.

Many (most?) state laws give business owners the right to prohibit firearms on their property. If that's clearly posted, either don't carry or take your business elsewhere. If it's not, and you're asked to leave while OC, consider returning in CC mode if you've a current, valid permit. Otherwise, you can still take your business elsewhere.

I lived overseas for six years, and I enjoy being back here in the States! I can find pretty much anything I want or need, 24/7, within a 2 mile radius. In the small village I lived in overseas, if the grocer closed early, I was out of luck until tomorrow.

Heck - the other day I went looking for ammo. The first store was out, the second was priced way too high, and the third store had exactly what I needed and for the right price.

All three stores are less than 1 mile from one another! Is that terrific, or what? :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

since9 wrote:
This "following state law" response is a dishonest way to do business as it truly isn't the policy of Walmart.
All businesses operating in any given state must follow state law. If they didn't, they wouldn't be allowed to do business in that state! At the very least, one could take them to court.

Many (most?) state laws give business owners the right to prohibit firearms on their property. If that's clearly posted, either don't carry or take your business elsewhere. If it's not, and you're asked to leave while OC, consider returning in CC mode if you've a current, valid permit. Otherwise, you can still take your business elsewhere.

I lived overseas for six years, and I enjoy being back here in the States! I can find pretty much anything I want or need, 24/7, within a 2 mile radius. In the small village I lived in overseas, if the grocer closed early, I was out of luck until tomorrow.

Heck - the other day I went looking for ammo. The first store was out, the second was priced way too high, and the third store had exactly what I needed and for the right price.

All three stores are less than 1 mile from one another! Is that terrific, or what? :lol:
We often do not appreciate what we have until we don't have it any longer - meat, ammo and our rights.

I could live for a while with the first one, but not the other two. :lol:

Yata hey

chiefjason

imported post

An assistant manager and the Asset Protection manager both gave the the "we just follow state law" line. My understanding of this from talking to them is that the DO NOT advocate posting signs. And the store manager should not be able to go around this. Their policy seems to be to follow the basic state laws, OC is legal you can OC, CC is legal you can CC. NO SIGNS. They can post signs in NC as well, but they do not. The signs are in addition to the law. I think WM does not want to take a stance one way or the other. The only way to do that is to follow the most basic state laws on firearms. YMMV.