• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Policy Change?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

chiefjason wrote:
An assistant manager and the Asset Protection manager both gave the the "we just follow state law" line. My understanding of this from talking to them is that the DO NOT advocate posting signs. And the store manager should not be able to go around this. Their policy seems to be to follow the basic state laws, OC is legal you can OC, CC is legal you can CC. NO SIGNS. They can post signs in NC as well, but they do not. The signs are in addition to the law. I think WM does not want to take a stance one way or the other. The only way to do that is to follow the most basic state laws on firearms. YMMV.
Bingo - right on target.

That said, they will also frequently leave it up to the local manager which is where the confusion (lack of continuity) comes into the picture and they can still say "We follow local laws." After all local laws do include those pertaining to private property.

"Local laws" from this perspective becomes a form of double speak allowing you to hear what you think they said but which was not the same while speaking truthfully. Clear? :p :)

Yata hey

MatieA

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Bingo - right on target.

That said, they will also frequently leave it up to the local manager which is where the confusion (lack of continuity) comes into the picture and they can still say "We follow local laws." After all local laws do include those pertaining to private property.

"Local laws" from this perspective becomes a form of double speak allowing you to hear what you think they said but which was not the same while speaking truthfully. Clear? :p :)

Yata hey

As Mud.

:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MatieA wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Bingo - right on target.

Yata hey
As Mud.

Try stirring it - maybe that will help. :)

Yata hey

MatieA

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
MatieA wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Bingo - right on target.

Yata hey
As Mud.

Try stirring it - maybe that will help. :)

Yata hey
I'm glad you "got it" and didn't think I was "stirring" up trouble. :cool:

Capn Camo

imported post

Two things you must recall about Commie Mart:

1.) (at least in this State-WA) THAT IS NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY. ITs held out to PUBLIC USE. If its private property, then its not held out to PUBLIC use.

Your home is PRIVATE PROPERTY and the Public cannot just walk in. Theyd better not just walk in MY house.

"click"

WM is a Corporation which has PERMISSION (not the right) to exist as a legal entity, and has to have permission of Ye the People to exist. Remind them of that fact.

2.) Their rules are binding on THEIR EMPLOYEES. They like to play the "everyone is under their control" game. I tell them to shove it. Their pretending that you are bound to their CORPORATE RULES as law is usurping your LEgislatures laws and they are attempting to create an ILLEGAL jurisdiction.

Dont play the "communicate with management" game, that implies you agree to be bound by their rules. You are NOT. You must know the law and tell them to G.P.S. (go pound salt) at the first instance.

I go out of my way to make Wal Marts life miserable any time I can. F-n Commies

Alexcabbie

imported post

All the commies I know hate WalMart because they think WalMart is a bunch of capitalists tring to destroy the "community business" or - oh well, logic is so convoluted when dealing with leftist thought. They do sell ChiCom sneakers, though, a pair of which I have been wearing daily for over two years and are just now showing signs of need of replacement.

I walk into Wal-Mart strapped all the time and nobody says boo about it. Then again I am always dressed in clean neat clothing and carry a good firearm in a quality holster and walk in like I own the place (but I am polite and civil). Never had a problem with OC there. Obtaining even the most basic service other than having my stuff rung up and forking out the dough is another story. Entirely.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interesting you should say that, Alexcabbie. I had a conversation with a Wal-Mart section manager last week who said "our store's policy is for us to ask you to leaveif we see you OC in the store."

So today, I respected that policy and walked in with my holster to buy some shrimp for a dinner with friends...

...with my firearm and ammo in my vehicle.

The sharp-eyed greeter took one look at my holster, started to open his mouth, saw that it was empty, closed his mouth, and gave me a direty look.

I think I'm going to run this one further up the chain, as this policy is for the birds, and I'm much rather have a more sane directive come down from on high than monkey with this any further at the local level.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Why is anybody asking permission? If the place isn't posted, just waltz right in and shop/dine/whatever. I do believe that is OCDO policy.

Chains like WalMart can e flakey. But fact is I live in Virginia, where we don't have all that many problems, really. However, trying to get them to elucidate a national policy is like nailing pudding to a wall. Basically anywhere you go, if you have an "anti" in charge at any level where he or she thinks he or she can eff with you, eff with you they will.

If there was a store called "Bitter Bob's Guns and Bibles Emporium" and an anti got hired to manage it, that anti would accost you in the machine-gun aisle and tell you to take the sidearm out of the store. Pigs is pigs, and antis is antis.

chiefjason

imported post

since9 wrote:
Interesting you should say that, Alexcabbie.  I had a conversation with a Wal-Mart section manager last week who said "our store's policy is for us to ask you to leave if we see you OC in the store."

Start with the stores Asset Protection Mgr. I called the 1800walmart # and when I mentioned Firearms I guess they sent it straight to him. I was told there is no "company policy" so to speak. They simply abide by state law, legal is legal and illegal is illegal. As I said earlier, I think they simply don't want to take a stand so they default to state law.

As for doing it anyway. If asked to leave I could still get a trespassing charge in NC. So I took it up the chain once I got home. It took about 3 weeks, 3 emails, and 2 phone calls to get an answer. We've mostly quit shopping their anyway. We go to a real grocery store, get double coupons, bonus points, and I think we are saving money now. I'm sure I'll end up in there occasionally though, and I have been told that me and my firearm are welcome. :dude:

simmonsjoe

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Why is anybody asking permission? If the place isn't posted, just waltz right in and shop/dine/whatever. I do believe that is OCDO policy.

Chains like WalMart can e flakey. But fact is I live in Virginia, where we don't have all that many problems, really. However, trying to get them to elucidate a national policy is like nailing pudding to a wall. Basically anywhere you go, if you have an "anti" in charge at any level where he or she thinks he or she can eff with you, eff with you they will.

If there was a store called "Bitter Bob's Guns and Bibles Emporium" and an anti got hired to manage it, that anti would accost you in the machine-gun aisle and tell you to take the sidearm out of the store. Pigs is pigs, and antis is antis.
The majority of the people here DO have that consensus. I'm not sure OCDO the organization itself has any written policy about it.