• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama open carrier featured on CBS News 42 video!

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

This is just the opening salvo in an information campaign that really hasn't reached our state before.

We were present at a moment when things changed in Alabama, when this issue started getting noticed. Everybody take a breath, and think about being a small movement one last time. Because that's no longer going to be the case. I've seen the ranks explode in recent weeks, and it's only going to get bigger and better. Thanks to Alabama's deep gun culture, pretty soon it WILL be commonplace to see someone walking the streets of Montgomery, Florence, Mobile, or Birmingham open carrying.

Crime rates will plummet. Thanks to deterrence, people will live that would've died because of what we're doing today.

To everyone out there who's busted their chops posting, researching law, writing people, calling people, handing out tri-folds, trying to organize events that didn't happen or only had two people show up, all that hard work is about to pay off. Things are about to get a lot easier.

I have a Christmas Eve feeling. ;)

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

I have been seeking representation for quite some time now. I contacted Super Lawyer over in Georgia, but he isn't licensed to practice in Alabama.

If arrested, I'd be fairly confident I could represent myself and beat the charges. As for the Federal Civil Rights Violation suit...? Not so sure about that... Did you file one of those when you were arrested, Mark?

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Yall are all right. You can carry in a school, legally. BUT yall are missing the point. The school has the right to not let you in. Schools don't want gun owners in there unless they are on-duty police officers.
Where would this right come from? A private school would be able to use the fact that it is private premises to deny your entry with a gun. But, what can a public school do?

Diocoles

imported post

Nicely done.

Glad I'm in Colorado though, anyone can carry in their car as it's an extension of your home.

Concealed or on the dash, it doesn't matter.

Good luck with the Blood drive. Hope you get lots of volunteers and get the word out about us!!!

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

What can a public school do? They can have you arrested. There are signs at just about every school saying, "no guns allowed unless by an on-duty police officer."

Do you really think you would win that case? Why would you need a firearm in a school? EVER? It's one thing to carry out on the town, in stores, etc. But a school? It's a bunch of kids learning. Can you PROOVE there was no intent to cause harm in that school?

Innocent until proven guilty? Have you seen the way the legal system works? In America today, you are guilty until proven innocent. I'm sorry but that's how it is.

If you carried in a school, I guarantee that you are going to jail. It may not be legal to put you in jail and sentence you. But think about it. These judges and juries are people. People with kids in those schools. They won't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry bringing guns into their schools. You would lose and that's just how corrupt the legal system is.

I suggest not carrying in a school.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
What can a public school do? They can have you arrested. There are signs at just about every school saying, "no guns allowed unless by an on-duty police officer."
OK, let's keep it civil and cite to authority - is there a law banning gun carry ins chools in alabama? if sop, what is it - and then, is there a permit holder exemption.

As fopr arresting for "breaking a sign," that's just nutty unless some statute gives that sign force of law.

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:

Do you really think you would win that case? Why would you need a firearm in a school? EVER? It's on thing to carry out on the town, in stores, etc. But a school? It's a bunch of kids learning. Can you PROOVE there was no intent to cause harm in that school?

Innocent until proven guilty? Have you seen the way the legal system works? In America today, you are guilty until proven innocent. I'm sorry but that's how it is.

If you carried in a school, I guarantee that you are going to jail. It may not be legal to put you in jail and sentence you. But think about it. These judges and juries are people. People with kids in those schools. They won't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry bringing guns into their schools. You would lose and that's just how corrupt the legal system is.

I suggest not carrying in a school.
I have never seen such a sign at a single school. And, I am a teacher.

Alabama law specifically says--in black letter law--that ordinary citizens may carry in a school.

Once again, barring a law that says one may not carry in a school, a public school on public land is going to have a hard time barring carry on its own. A private school would be another story.

Of course, a law could restrict that carry.

BTW, I suggest not carrying in school either. I am just saying, at least in Alabama, we have the clearly stated legal ability to do so.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

What? Who ever said he didn't have a permit? Dude, what the hell are you even talking about. who said he didn't have a permit, and why are youmaking a deal out of this? You need to refocus your concern on something that makes sense.

1) He never said he didn't have a permit.

2) Private property where the owner didn't care. Their land, their say so.

3) why does it matter, and where are you getting your facts?

fox2102

imported post

I dont think it's a good idea to carry IN the school but I do like the idea that I can at least keep my weapon in my car while I have to go in for something or waiting for my kid (if i had one in school) to get out.

Has anyone thought about maybe building an informational web site specifically on alabama open carry? Along with that maybe put some contact info for leaders in the movement? Just an idea

Hollowpoint38

imported post

[align=left]Places off-limits even with a permit/license[/align]
[align=left]Section 13A-11-72[/align]
[align=left]Premises of a public school. The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school[/align]
composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12

A few people said," there must be intent. If there's not, no problem."

But in this same law, it says that LEO's are exempt from this law.

Why would an LEO have intent to use a firearm in a school? He wouldn't. Bringing me to the conclusion that we can't carry in schools.

eye95

imported post

Of course LEOs might enter a school with intent to do bodily harm. Sometimes it is part of their job to do bodily harm. You don't want a cop going into a school to break up some violence, hamstrung by the law saying he cannot intend to do bodily harm!

As long as there is no intent to do bodily harm, it is perfectly legal for someone, not otherwise restricted, to carry a gun into a school.

fox2102

imported post

eye95 has a point and even if the law exempts officers it doesnt change the fact that it says it's legal for us to carry there. However I will agree that the system is guilty until proven innocent

Hollowpoint38

imported post

I think that the law on this issue can be read 2 different ways. I personally believe if you went into a school with a pistol on your side, you'll be arrested. Whether you win the case in court or not, that's a different issue, but I think a nice pair of silver bracelets will be added to your jewelry selection.

NHodge

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Grapeshot,

Open Carry of a Unlicensed Unconcealed Pistol, or any other Long-gun, is Legal in:

1. ANY Government Building or Office, AND

2. IS LEGAL in any Alabama Courthouse, AND

3. IS LEGAL in any School (K-12), if there is no intent to do bodily harm, AND the Person has a Valid Pistol Permit, preferalby from that County Sheriff wherein the School, AND

4. IS LEGAL in all Adult Schools (Colleges and Universities), AND

5. IS EVEN LEGAL in the County Sheriff's Office or County Jail!

Local Governments are Preempted per Alabama Codes 1975 11-45-1.1 (pertaining to Pistols) and 11-80-11 (pertaining to ANY OTHER Firearm).

Local Bans are preempted!!!!!
So if I amreading this correctly; one is legally able to carry a pistol to a University in Alabama. All of the Universities that I have attended have strict policies prohibiting the carry of pistols, knives, etc. Please clarify if you don't mind. I'm all for being able to carry every where, just don't want to deal with legal issues.

eye95

imported post

I am sure that public universities can enforce that policy on students as a condition of attendance. Likewise, they can enforce it on faculty and staff as a condition of employment. However, short of shutting down the campus to folks who are not student, faculty, or staff, under the law, they are powerless to stop those folks from carrying on campus.

Private universities should be able to ban weapons in any way that any other private business can.