• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama open carrier featured on CBS News 42 video!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I am sure that public universities can enforce that policy on students as a condition of attendance. Likewise, they can enforce it on faculty and staff as a condition of employment. However, short of shutting down the campus to folks who are not student, faculty, or staff, under the law, they are powerless to stop those folks from carrying on campus.

Private universities should be able to ban weapons in any way that any other private business can.
Except when they receive public funds - not many (none?) would fit in that category.

Yata hey

eye95

imported post

Really? Alabama law treats (regarding gun law) private schools that receive some public funds differently than private schools that do not?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Except when they receive public funds - not many (none?) would fit in that category.
huh? Receiving public funds does not make a private university a governmental actor or agent subject to constitutional constraints.

I do not understand why this myth keeps popping up.

eye95

imported post

The myth is probably due to the fact that some federal funds come with strings. But, these strings are spelled out in the law. Barring such a law, private institutions that receive federal bucks still act as private institutions.

I taught at a private school that accepted federal funds. There were restrictions. None of them involved our gun policy.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
What? Who ever said he didn't have a permit? Dude, what the hell are you even talking about. who said he didn't have a permit, and why are youmaking a deal out of this? You need to refocus your concern on something that makes sense.

1) He never said he didn't have a permit.

2) Private property where the owner didn't care. Their land, their say so.

3) why does it matter, and where are you getting your facts?

A chill pill, please take one.

I simply asked a question. then tried to clarify it and asked again.

Now I'll ask again:

DOES AL HAVE A PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON?

Clear enough for ya...dude?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Thank you! I don't know if you are near the Birmingham area, but be sure to drop by the blood drive on April 10. I'm still in negotiations with 2 separate stores about the location, but I think by Tuesday I should have a solid location!

Be sure to tell everyone you know to help come out and support the community!

Open carry is optional! Thanks everyone!

-Tim (Hollowpoint38)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
huh? Receiving public funds does not make a private university a governmental actor or agent subject to constitutional constraints.

I do not understand why this myth keeps popping up.
This is apparently a commonly held misconception that I have heard applied in conversation to universities, private museums and hospitals.

My education is not complete. :?

Yata hey

Hollowpoint38

imported post

You're not the only one with a fear of needles. I hate needles, but I think it's important to have these types of events in order to show the government, the people have rights and we plan on keeping them. I believe this may help show the community that open carriers are just every day normal people, but we like to exercise our rights.

I hope to see your there!

Hollowpoint38

imported post

ok. Mass shootings. How are you going to proove that's not what you had planned? How many people do you think actually take a weapon into schools?

Anybody ever thought about this?

Everyone keeps saying is legal to carry in a school. If that is that case, how do they keep expelling children for bringing, keychain guns? Little guns made of solid plastic that are only an inch in size. How is carrying a real pistol going to be ok?

eye95

imported post

There are at least two things working against the kids.

First, almost all of the students are under age 18, making it illegal under federal law to carry.

Second, regardless of the law, it is reasonable for schools to have a policy against student possession of a gun and to set the penalty at suspension or expulsion.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

I understand that, but I am talking about miniature toys. Something that isn't a gun, but looks like one, and is smaller than a bottle top of a coke.

If you want to stroll into a school and test your luck, go ahead, let me know how it goes.
banana.gif

eye95

imported post

They can have a policy against gun-lookalikes, no matter how silly the policy is. Foolish policies should be changed, but that would be up to the board and the voters in the school district.

Oh, and as I have said before, I don't advocate carrying in a school. I am merely saying that, under Alabama law, it is legal. If you are not a student or a teacher, there is little a school can legally do. That is not to say that they can exercise no power in the situation. I am sure they can and do not want to gain first-hand knowledge.

aadvark

imported post

If a University recieves Public Tax Dollars form Alabama for support, then, it would fall under both Alabama Codes 1975 11-45-1.1 and 11-80-11.

Yes... Concealed Carry of a Pistol is Legal in Alabama..., if you have a Valid Pistol Permit.

eye95

imported post

I don't see how either of those code sections would apply to a private university receiving public funds. Those code sections apply to counties and municipal corporations (cities and towns).