• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

With health care out of the way, time to define 'reasonable gun control' looms

DEROS72

imported post

We can care for people but its not the government that tells me who I should care for.We should have a choice who we give to and not give to.I don't donate to causes like Haite for example.We have given these people billions and what do they have to show for it.They are uneducated ,no industry,no nothing.So why give to a people or individuals like that.I give to those who are prosporous or have that potential.I sent all my kids to private Christian schools.They are all now in very high income levels and pay for their own health care plans with their own money.

amzbrady

imported post

Welfare is the first thing that needs to go away. It should be like unemployment. you get out of it just what you put init from working. It should pickup only after unemployment benifits run out and should only have a 6 month run.

How does everyone feel about the IRS handling health care?

WASHINGTON - A beaming President Barack Obama on Tuesday signed a historic $938 billion health care overhaul that guarantees coverage for 32 ... Those who refuse will face penalties from the IRS. Tax credits to help pay for premiums also will start ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35876568/ns/health-health_care/?ns=health-health_care

How happy are you to know that the IRS is armed?

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/30/us/3-businessmen-testify-of-armed-raids-by-irs.html?pagewanted=1

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/22/irs-looking-to-hiring-thousands-of-armed-tax-agents-to-enforce-health-care-laws/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2477505/posts

And how does that make you feel?

DEROS72

imported post

Couldn't agree more ,welfare isNOT a career choice.We need to start kicking millions off the welfare gravey train.The IRS needs to have it's wings clipped bigtime.All these illegals need to get gone.They should be paying us to be here.They run across the border straight to a welfare office.It has to stop .This is the biggest reason I own firarms .We ay be forced to defend ouselves from these people.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

If you do not have insurance the IRS can potentially garnish wages but there is no need for a person to go through that is they make sure when they file taxes to capitalize on all of the tax benefits alotted them when they file taxes every year.

Why should we care for our poor, sick, weak?...if that question is being asked, the answer will mean nothing to you. It means something to some of us who think that it is immoral to not care for poor, sick, weak people. We are beyond "survival of the fittest" as human beings.

DEROS72

imported post

I believe the opposite we are beyond just giving out handouts .I see it all the time where I live.People don't finish school,join gangs,have felony records so they can't get jobs anyway.I watched one time with my store manager friend how many on the first cashed their welfare checks and then got to check out with a cart full of 40 ouncers.These same people will try to bum from me halfway through the month.One even saying that it wasn't fair that I always seemed to have money.I overheard one women talking to her friend about how she researched what state pays out for the most kids.She should have those kids taken and her fat ass needs to go to work.They should also be required mandatory drug and alchohol testing.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I believe the opposite we are beyond just giving out handouts .I see it all the time where I live.People don't finish school,join gangs,have felony records so they can't get jobs anyway.I watched one time with my store manager friend how many on the first cashed their welfare checks and then got to check out with a cart full of 40 ouncers.These same people will try to bum from me halfway through the month.One even saying that it wasn't fair that I always seemed to have money.I overheard one women talking to her friend about how she researched what state pays out for the most kids.She should have those kids taken and her fat ass needs to go to work.They should also be required mandatory drug and alchohol testing.

I am against people purchasing alcohol with their welfare check. These days you no longer get a check, what you have is a debit card. Also, the social worker can check to see where you are making purchases (although the purchases wouldn't be itemized).

They should have mandatory drug tests...as far as alcohol tests that is a bit much (both would require more government...if that is what you are proposing?). It figures that women would be blamed for having so many kids when some of you seem to forget that it takes a man and a woman to make a kid. Women are told to keep their legs shut, men should keep their D&*^ in their pants...that is how a man takes charge of his reproductive rights. It is a fact that women in general are left with the kids and their economic power (the man) leaves when the dead-beat-dad leaves.

I have an idea. Why don't we require that women (or "fat ass" women as you call them) who do not have the economic ability to care for their kids be required to be sterilized and also that men who do not care for their children financially and abandon the family should be castrated (visectomies are not 100%).

antispam540

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
If you do not have insurance the IRS can potentially garnish wages but there is no need for a person to go through that is they make sure when they file taxes to capitalize on all of the tax benefits alotted them when they file taxes every year.

Why should we care for our poor, sick, weak?...if that question is being asked, the answer will mean nothing to you. It means something to some of us who think that it is immoral to not care for poor, sick, weak people. We are beyond "survival of the fittest" as human beings.
I agree that the concept of morality dictates that we should help those less fortunate than us. However, the choice of whether or not (and to what extent) a person embodies that morality is up to them, not up to the government.

You can't deny basic human nature, and basic human nature is selfish and petty. If the government says "I'm going to take your income and distribute it to everyone equally, so no one is poor or sick or weak", then I'm going to stop working - that way I'll be poor, and I'll get the same money as everyone else without having to work for it.

If they say "anyone making more than XX,XXX$ a year gets taxed higher", then maybe I just won't make more than that a year. Why bust my ass when I don't get to keep what I make?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Yes, it is human nature to be selfish but some of have the ability to get pass it. Collective morality exists and is a healthy thing for society.

Warren Buffet said it best:

“The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter. If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”

Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent."

DEROS72

imported post

I ever got hired by a homeless guy or a paycheck from a poor person. I am not selfish I just believe we have the right to give to who we want to not who the government thinks. I instructed my staff also never hire anyone with a criminal record.They screwed up their life it's not up to me to take care of them.Anyone has the same chance to earn a higher income there is no excuse.Besides the poor always say we're selfish because instead of bettering themselves they just want more free handouts .

Only those that make 200k = should be allowed to vote on weather they get higher taxes because it's there money.Naturally people on welfare will vote to take someone elses so they should not be allowed to vote on the issue.

antispam540

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Yes, it is human nature to be selfish but some of have the ability to get pass it. Collective morality exists and is a healthy thing for society.
I made $200,000 one year, and I paid $76,000 of it in taxes because I was self employed - the very definition of the American entrepreneurial spirit. After that, I didn't feel like trying anymore.

It's the prisoner's dilemma - if everyone overcame their selfish nature, we would all win. If everyone but me overcomes their selfish natures, then I win, because I get everything without working for it.

There's always going to be a subset of society that *is* selfish and has no qualms about living off the hard work of others. If they decide to redistribute the wealth any more, you go right on ahead and keep working as hard as you can for the benefit of others - I'll keep being a capitalist and sip mojitos while I watch you work to pay me.

The only solution is to make people responsible for their own finances and status in life, so they have motivation to work, spend responsibly, and take care of themselves and their family. For the few who truly are down on their luck, and not for lack of trying, the local community will know if they're really in need or just lazy, and the local community (and/or churches) can help them out.

Only those that make 200k = should be allowed to vote on weather they get higher taxes because it's there money.Naturally people on welfare will vote to take someone elses so they should not be allowed to vote on the issue.
Welcome to "representative" government.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
For the few who truly are down on their luck, and not for lack of trying, the local community will know if they're really in need or just lazy, and the local community (and/or churches) can help them out.
Impossible. To much bias.

1245A Defender

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
antispam540 wrote:
For the few who truly are down on their luck, and not for lack of trying, the local community will know if they're really in need or just lazy, and the local community (and/or churches) can help them out.
Impossible. To much bias.
no need to concider bias when generations of families line up for the dole!
the free food the free rent the baby bunuses, no bias, nope not too much!

welfare removes all incentive to live your life!
welfare detracts from any self worth you may be expected to have in yourself!
welfare strips your soul!
welfare used to be a helping hand, now it is a life style!

some folks got to raise children to be self sufficiant, they are thriving adults that contribute to society.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
welfare removes all incentive to live your life!
welfare detracts from any self worth you may be expected to have in yourself!
welfare strips your soul!
welfare used to be a helping hand, now it is a life style!

some folks got to raise children to be self sufficiant, they are thriving adults that contribute to society.
I completely agree.....100%.

DEROS72

imported post

Subject: Fwd: Constitutional lawyer has read the entire proposed healthcare bill.

FOR VALIDATION, CLICK THE SNOPES LINK:

snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

The article below is from a retired attorney. You can check him out at his web page www.michaelconnelly.viviyi.com

The Truth About the Health Care Bills
- Michael Connelly, Ret. Constitutional Attorney

Well, I have done it! I have read the entire text of proposed House Bill 3200: The Affordable Health Care Choices Act of 2009. I studied it with particular emphasis from my area of expertise, constitutional law. I was frankly concerned that parts of the proposed law that were being discussed might be unconstitutional. What I found was far worse than what I had heard or expected.

To begin with, much of what has been said about the law and its implications is in fact true, despite what the Democrats and the media are saying. The law does provide for rationing of health care, particularly where senior citizens and other classes of citizens are involved, free health care for illegal immigrants, free abortion services, and probably forced participation in abortions by members of the medical profession.

The Bill will also eventually force private insurance companies out of business, and put everyone into a government run system. All decisions about personal health care will ultimately be made by federal bureaucrats, and most of them will not be health care professionals. Hospital admissions, payments to physicians, and allocations of necessary medical devices will be strictly controlled by the government.

However, as scary as all of that is, it just scratches the surface. In fact, I have concluded that this legislation really has no intention of providing affordable health care choices. Instead it is a convenient cover for the most massive transfer of power to the Executive Branch of government that has ever occurred, or even been contemplated If this law or a similar one is adopted, major portions of the Constitution of the United States will effectively have been destroyed.

The first thing to go will be the masterfully crafted balance of power between the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of the U.S. Government. The Congress will be transferring to the Obama Administration authority in a number of different areas over the lives of the American people, and the businesses they own.

The irony is that the Congress doesn't have any authority to legislate in most of those areas to begin with! I defy anyone to read the text of the U.S. Constitution and find any authority granted to the members of Congress to regulate health care.

This legislation also provides for access, by the appointees of the Obama administration, of all of your personal healthcare direct violation of the specific provisions of the 4th Amendment to the Constitution information, your personal financial information, and the information of your employer, physician, and hospital. All of this is a protecting against unreasonable searches and seizures. You can also forget about the right to privacy. That will have been legislated into oblivion regardless of what the 3rd and 4th Amendments may provide...

If you decide not to have healthcare insurance, or if you have private insurance that is not deemed acceptable to the Health Choices Administrator appointed by Obama, there will be a tax imposed on you. It is called a tax instead of a fine because of the intent to avoid application of the due process clause of the 5th Amendment. However, that doesn't work because since there is nothing in the law that allows you to contest or appeal the imposition of the tax, it is definitely depriving someone of property without the due process of law.

So, there are three of those pesky amendments that the far left hate so much, out the original ten in the Bill of Rights, that are effectively nullified by this law It doesn't stop there though.

The 9th Amendment that provides: The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people;

The 10th Amendment states: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are preserved to the States respectively, or to the people. Under the provisions of this piece of Congressional handiwork neither the people nor the states are going to have any rights or powers at all in many areas that once were theirs to control.

I could write many more pages about this legislation, but I think you get the idea. This is not about health care; it is about seizing power and limiting rights... Article 6 of the Constitution requires the members of both houses of Congress to "be bound by oath or affirmation to support the Constitution." If I was a member of Congress I would not be able to vote for this legislation or anything like it, without feeling I was violating that sacred oath or affirmation. If I voted for it anyway, I would hope the American people would hold me accountable.

For those who might doubt the nature of this threat, I suggest they consult the source, the US Constitution, and Bill of Rights. There you can see exactly what we are about to have taken from us.

Michael Connelly
[size=
Retired attorney,
Constitutional Law Instructor
Carrollton , Texas ][/size]
[size=
[u]

AFTER HAVING READ THIS, PLEASE FORWARD....

If you don't care about our constitution, or your rights under it, just do nothing.

WE MUST HOLD CONGRESS ACCOUNTABLE.[/u]][/size]

[align=center][/align]

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Get a hard hat......the sky is going to fall. He read 2700 pages and wrote a brief fear-mongerring response. "The no spin zone starts here."

1245A Defender

imported post

the health care law is not the "benevolent, we want to take care of all the poor sick people" way they try to make it sound!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

IT IS the GIANTEST BIGGEST RIPPOFFF of the contstitutional protection of our free country that has ever even been contimplated :cuss:EVER!!!,, BY ANYONE :cuss::cuss:

it is not a slippery slope!!!! WE have hit the DROP OFF :cuss:

this FVCKING THING, is more than a mistake!! its the worst thing EVER for this country!! :cuss:

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I see that you are pissed about it. If it is unConstitutional SCOTUS (conservative leaning) will determine that the Healthcare law is unConstitutional and it will be struck down.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
"If Healthcare for all American's is seriously thought of as tyranny then the political discourse and the ignorance coming from the right has truly jumped the rails of anything rational."

While health care is a noble issue, the ignorance is those who think the nobility of an issue overcomes the legal and constitutional restraints of the Federal government imposing it on society.

Just because something is humane and compassionate doesn't make it the government's responsibility or put it within the realm of the governments power.

I disagree that requiring the government to work within the laws and constraints placed upon it by the Constitution is irrational. The tyranny is not health care, it is how it is coming to be with the exercise of powers NOT given to the congress. To confuse the two is in kind to the "If it saves just one child..." argument that has been used repeatedly to usurp RIGHTS.

I am all for universal health care SO LONG as it is done in a legitimate fashion. Even is popular, it doesn't matter if it is against the Law. Our Constitution was set to protect rights from the very things which may be popular, but are not right.

To say something should be so because it is popular would be to excuse racism, slavery, and a host of other things that were popular at a time.

Sylvia Plath wrote:
"I have to say that the biggest failure of the "right" was keeping theirflock under control. Posters with our President looking like Hitler, Stalin, etc. are counterproductive and there is a price to pay for that type of disrespect for the office of the greatest, most powerful nation on Earth. Hopefully the right will spend more time offering up ideas than encouraging their flock to engage in misinformation campaigns and scare tactics.

Do not be mistaken, America is currently in a social war that is going to determine the future of America. Healthcare is just one of many battles that are going to be won and lost on both sides. This is just the beginning."

Yes, but the stereotyping of Tea-Party folks as redneck racists and labeling Republicans as the "Party of NO" were just as wrong. There is enough subterfuge to go around and it is all a distraction from the basic core issues and concerns. The idea that one side can blame the other while at the same time ignoring their own lapses of decorum is a bit elitist and arrogant.

The politicians who decided to violate long standing processes, ignore legitimate debate, and practice a scorched earth campaign to win at any cost (bribe, special deal, whatever...) are equally disrespectful of their office and the oath they took upon entering it. Look how hard they fought to "Blame" the republicans, while they may have made some minor concessions, they made no attempt at actual bi-partisan work to find a better option. They could not easily pass it with overwhelming majorities in both houses AND a democrat president. Yet it is the Republicans fault it couldn't pass sooner? Sorry, that just doesn't make sense.

Sylvia Plath wrote:
"I don't beleive that anyone should have access to or be entitled to other people's wealth. Healthcare for everyone has nothing to do with people's wealth. it has to do with the lack of access and affordable health, something that is surely going to be fixed. Maybe I am a bit of an optimist."

Then I suggest you are a hypocrite. Healthcare is a commodity, a service, a product. Yes, there certainly are problems that manifest themselves in access and cost. Supply, demand, overhead, etc. the same factors in any market. If you tax others to pay for those without, you are taking their "wealth". I fear that people have no idea what will happen to the system. Those that pay, will pay more and receive less as they subsidize those who do not pay (or pay their share).

There is no "free lunch" many of the changes, while good intent will bring costs. I prefer not to have high premiums to cover my adult children, yet we will all pay a share of the increases for the benefits that others receive.

If you wish to improve access and affordability, than correct the items that cause those problems, don't keep the basic system in place and dump 30 million more users into it along with restrictions or new requirements that increase the costs and problems. It will magnify the problems before it could ever hope to fix them.

Sylvia Plath wrote:
"If you make more that 200k a year as an individual or 250k a year as a family then you are going to be taxed. Does that meet the threshold of "redistribution of wealth" not even close IMO.

If the Fed's were to pass a law that required anyone who makes 200k+ a year to hand over 80% of their income in order to "redistribute" the funds equally amongst all American's I would be completely against that. But those are apples and oranges.
"

The great fallacy of the Obama campaign. Only the "rich" and the businesses will be taxed, profit is bad. First off, while businesses pay taxes, it is really the customers who pay them as they are a "cost" factored into the price of the goods and services. The tax is simply passed thorough. The end user is the one who pays it.

"Wealth" is relative. I make $70K a year, not poverty to be sure, but there are times I have to go without a luxury or opt for the cheap cut of meat. The person who earns $250K does just that, they EARN it. If they did what the person who earns $35K do, than maybe there would be an argument, but that isn't the case.

What happens when those who do earn that money get tired of paying more than their "fair" share and decide it is no longer worth it? Or the economy continues to fall and they no longer make it. Now we have a system based on something that is no longer there (much like WA state funding so much with "sin" taxes, then being surprised when folks cut back on booze, tobacco etc and now there is no money to spend...).

It is a regressive system. The entitlement mentality is as much to blame for destroying this country as those "profiteering" insurance companies and bankers. Low cost universal health care is just one more entitlement that cannot sustain itself. Destined and doomed from the outset, sold like snake oil to unwitting buyers entranced by the hype.

Of course you would be against such an open and honest plan, everyone would be. That is why the plans have to be more complicated and devious. To hide the tru provisions and costs. It is smoke, mirrors, and misdirection.

Sylvia Plath wrote:
"Socialism exists in many aspects of America. Your daughter going to high school, unless it was a private school, is a socialist program. My daughter has home schooling, does this mean we are less "socialist" than some of my fellow open-carriers? We are surrounded by socialism.

The problem with throwing the term socialism around so loosely is that it loses its intended effect. Personally I am confident in the direction of America and believe that a better society is a society that cares for all people.
"

Don't confuse a "public" system with a socialist one. While the government manages the public education system, it is done with guidance, oversight and approval of the voters. We decide though a process on the curriculum, the funding, etc. It is not mandated and passed down from the politburo. If it was the socialist program you want to believe it is, you wouldn't have the option of homeschooling or private school.

If our politicians cared for "all people", they would support and champion all to attain their highest possible level of individual excellence and reward their efforts for doing so. To define a minimum "acceptable" level and then work directly or indirectly to homogenize everyone to that level is not to care for "all" but to care for the "collective".

If I get the same as anyone else, where is the incentive or reward to work harder, do better, or reach higher? While you certainly may raise some, you drag down many, many more.

Charity is a morality issue, not a governmental one.

The PEOPLE of this country consistently provide more charity to our own people as well as those of other countries on a per capita basis, than ANY other country. It most certainly can be accomplished without the government getting involved.

The problem is the growing segment of society who feel they are somehow deserving of something for nothing and all of the good-intentioned programs put in place over the years that have bred such entitlement mentality and are bankrupting future generations.

Look at ANY immigrant to this country and even in the face of all the difficulties of learning our system, our language, discrimination, cultural differences, etc. The majority of them are hard working and HAPPY to have the simple opportunity at a CHANCE of working and success. Yet, so many of our own citizens have next to NO work ethic and the idea that by simply existing, they should have everything handed to them.

America will never fall to a foreign power, we are destined to destroy ourselves. It will be done slowly, incrementally, while people focus on other things. Make no mistake, when it is done, there will still be the rich, the powerful, and the elite. They only difference is they will be people of power in the "Party" as opposed to titans of industry or private enterprise.

1245A Defender

imported post

time your self , then read the connstitution, and all the amendments.
the guiding document for 235 years of this great nation, the greatest nation in the history of this entire world!!

why is the health care law 2700 pages of legalese,, that has never been read by our lawmakers to the extent that it could be understood?

if, not knowing the law" is not an excuse.. and our own lawmakers could not read and understand this new law.
how can this possibly be a good thing,?
the constitution and amenments were written in simple and straight forward language so that sense can be got from it, so that the folks could abide by it, and the court, and the government,etc!!!

for the government to make a law that nobody could possibly understand is the very reason that the second amendment was wrote down,,

we are becoming a nation,oppressed and opposed, under a lawless government that will turn us all into lawbreakers for the express perposse of controlling all of us,

we will become slaves:cry:

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
I see that you are pissed about it. If it is unConstitutional SCOTUS (conservative leaning) will determine that the Healthcare law is unConstitutional and it will be struck down.
But how long and how much damage will be done before that happens? And at what cost (financially as well as socially)? Will the taxes they start collecting this year be refunded? Will the companies that go out of business be compensated? While you can sometimes correct a mistake, you can't always repair the damage it caused.

I seem to remember a time when the questions about Constitutionality and such were answered BEFORE passing legislation. You know, put the horse in FRONT of the cart.

The idea of we'll do it now and worry about it later makes no sense what so ever and is exactly why people need to start paying attention and get involved.

Every time I listened to the arguments in support of ramming this through at all costs, I noticed how so much is being done based on emotions. Obama regaled at the signing ceremony about how this was for such and such cancer patient, for so and so who had to choose between health insurance and her house, for the mother of little so and so who died leaving him an orphan, ad naseum.

Everyone has a sad story, knows someone who had bad things happen, it isn't fair, it isn't just, it is life. Policies, laws, and the direction of this country should NOT be determined based on emotions, but rather on sound reasoning and defensible decisions supported by real mathematician/accountant math, not politician/magician math.

NO government program has ever performed as well as expected. The only real question is what the amount of error will be. No one holds the Pentagon, the Post Office, Medicare, or Social Security up as any sort of standard or example of how a sucessful program is run, why does anyone think this will end any differently?